• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Folks a friend's son reached out to me and was asking for advice on rifles. He said "I want something to shoot at the range but also to hunt deer with, I was think 44 mag or .308 what do you think?"

I admitted while i am the "gun guy" in my social circle that I knew folks more apt to give the advice. Anyone have thoughts on good rifles that perform both of those tasks. I admitted 308 was a good deer hunting gun but I was unfamiliar if it was done with 44 mag or not.

Please advise on caliber and rifle choices and the friend will read the thread. Thanks.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    What age? What area? What range will the hunting and target shooting be done at? What experience does said friend have?
    For a lot of beginners, it's hard to beat a .243 win.. they could start with Savage Axis II and go from there. Very inexpensive, smooth and accurate.
    That or the Savage Axis II Predator HB in 6.5 Creedmoor. Excellent for hunting or long range target shooting fairly cheap. He may not want a heavy barrel for stalking though. It would be fine in a blind though. And still not break the bank to set up or feed.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    What kind of range shooting is he thinking about?

My initial thought is AR in 6.5g. A simple upper swap opens up whole new worlds.

X10... my thoughts too.
    But with hunting in the US the .243, .270 & 30-30 have probably taken more game than any other round.
    You could pick up a decent bolt gun in any of the calibers mentioned like... even 6.5 grendel

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I have a Savage Axis .243 I could part with cheap. Might be able to dig up a cheap scope around here also, something to start with anyway.

ETA: obviously need a bit more info about the buyer of course (in case that didn't go without saying)

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Buyer is 22. Military, Air Force. He owns a .22LR bolt action rifle (did not ask for model) So this would not be his first gun. I will inquire about budget.

EDIT -- Budget under 800 dollars. I think you all are right. An AR15 with a 6.5 GR upper would probably do the job~

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Buyer is 22. Military, Air Force. He owns a .22LR bolt action rifle (did not ask for model) So this would not be his first gun. I will inquire about budget.

EDIT -- Budget under 800 dollars. I think you all are right. An AR15 with a 6.5 GR upper would probably do the job~

Something he should consider is what to do if gets orders overseas or to someplace like California or New York.

When we went overseas, I put a safe at my parents’ place and stored my guns there for the duration.

Oldbluered

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2019
    Bastrop area
    +1 for 30-30 or 243, in my family they're the most used for deer. Although my Pawpaw's 8mm Mauser took quite a few. Hell he got some with just a 22(when opportunity presented itself), but that was way before my time and the trail was long.

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Folks a friend's son reached out to me and was asking for advice on rifles. He said "I want something to shoot at the range but also to hunt deer with, I was think 44 mag or .308 what do you think?"

I admitted while i am the "gun guy" in my social circle that I knew folks more apt to give the advice. Anyone have thoughts on good rifles that perform both of those tasks. I admitted 308 was a good deer hunting gun but I was unfamiliar if it was done with 44 mag or not.

Please advise on caliber and rifle choices and the friend will read the thread. Thanks.
    .243 in Remington Mohawk 600............or .308

Top Bottom