• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ronr68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Taylor
    Looks like I need to advertise my M1 Carbine to a wider audience. I’m thinking about posting it on CMP or Gun Broker. I think I know how to ship it, UPS and ship to FFL. What I don't know is how to accept payment. Do I need to request a personal check and wait for it clear or bank draft, postal money order, etc? How does the buyer know to trust me or how do I trust the buyer? Thanks for the help.
    Target Sports

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Looks like I need to advertise my M1 Carbine to a wider audience. I’m thinking about posting it on CMP or Gun Broker. I think I know how to ship it, UPS and ship to FFL. What I don't know is how to accept payment. Do I need to request a personal check and wait for it clear or bank draft, postal money order, etc? How does the buyer know to trust me or how do I trust the buyer? Thanks for the help.

Postal money order would be my preferred method in that situation - less chance for fraud. Gun ships when the money clears.

Have you posted the gun on Texas Gun Trader? I might give that a chance before Gun Broker

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    If you sell it on Gun Broker they let you take payment with a credit card.

VNK971

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Mico, TX
    When I've bought from private sellers, not businesses, on Gunbroker I usually paid with a cashier's check from my credit union. Some sellers asked for USPS money orders. I expected them to wait until they were sure the check/money order had cleared. I rarely bought from a seller with a less than A+ established rating. If I did, I checked to see what were the dings in their rating, and I wasn't paying more than I could afford to lose. I never had a problem.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The more payment options you offer the more potential buyers! Being an old phucer I don’t do all those new payment options.

USPO money orders IMHO are are pain in the ass! I have bought plenty of things with a personal check knowing it won’t ship until it clears!

Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    Ask for a bank wire payment via Zelle.
    As much as I love Zelle for just about everything else, they've got a strict policy when it comes to weapons. I'm not saying "don't" since many on here have (with varying levels of success), just know that if you tell them what the item is, you're likely in for disappointment - at minimum.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I would assume that so long as you clearly state the payment options and conditions on confirmed transfer of funds that it shouldn’t be a big deal.

ronr68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Taylor
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m trying to think of this from the buyer’s perspective as well. I have used Texas Gun Trader in the past with good results. It seems lately that it’s more like Craigslist with all the idiots. Might try it again, but specify local sale only. Seems Gun Broker may be an option too.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I wouldn't trust Texas Gun Trader to hold a car wash token for me! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I just meant find a buyer there - not use them as payment processor. I've had positive experiences, though the last guy I thought was a flake but we made it happen. Cash only, face to face deals there. No shipping, no scams, and definitely showing up armed, preferably with armed friends.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I prefer electronic means (PP, zelle, cashapp, venmo) No comments about guns or anything as that will get your account closed. Once I deposit funds to my bank account. I can print out a shipping label and get them a tracking number in minutes.

OR.

The buyer can send a check or money order and the transaction will take weeks. Your call.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I just meant find a buyer there - not use them as payment processor. I've had positive experiences, though the last guy I thought was a flake but we made it happen. Cash only, face to face deals there. No shipping, no scams, and definitely showing up armed, preferably with armed friends.
    You just mentioned some excellent reasons, for me, to avoid Texas Gun Trader - especially the fact that you said you are definitely showing up armed. I never had to worry about doing a single transaction on Gun Broker while armed but I see folks repeatedly mention the fact they would never do a transaction with someone from Texas Gun Trader unless they were armed. That is apparently because so many crooks and scammers post sales there there and/or because of so many opportunists using that site looking for opportunities to rip off someone who is selling a gun.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I have sold a decent number of guns via GunBroker. I require USPS money orders exclusively when selling a gun on GunBroker. The post office clerks can now check any money order that you cash at the post office (and I only cash them at the post office) in real time to determine that it is valid and that the amount on it was the one actually placed on it by the post office when it was purchased and thus has not been altered by someone after purcahse of the MO. Cash them later in their business day to assure they have enough cash on hand. When you cash the USPS MO at the post office (after they have checked it and verified it as valid, insist on them doing so), you can mail the firearm (if a rifle or shotgun in most cases) through the USPS right then and there so long as you already have all the required paperwork from the buyer such as a copy of his/her gov't. issued ID like a driver's icense showing name, address and DOB (my personal requirement), and a copy of a valid dealer's FFL (that you have checked via the ATF's FFL eZcheck) or copy of buyer's C&R FFL (if a C&R gun - note those C&R FFLs cannot be verified using FFL eZceck) and so on. You can mail it via Priority Mail with the proper amount of insurance (anything above $100 requires and additional insurance fee) with adult signature required - the delivery & signature restricted to the buyer to whom you are sending it if sending it directly to the buyer in the case of the buyer having a C&R (if a C&R gun) or dealer's FFL (if not a C&R gun). If the buyer does not have a FFL of his own and you need to send it through a dealer with an FFL - send it adult signature required (obviously without restricting the signature to the buyer) and do not restrict it to the person named on the FFL (less obviously) - that way anyone working in the shop who is an authorized adult can sign for it. You can also send it Registered Priority mail which cost more but adds more shipping security but that makes it take longer to reach its destination. Sending a rifle or shotgun via the USPS is fairly comparable in price to sending it via UPS with insurance and adult signature required (in my experience).

Always make sure to include the buyers name when you address the package such as:

JOHN SMITH C/O (buyer's name in care of)
    Joe Bag Of Donuts (FFL'S HOLDERS NAME)
    JOE'S FIREARMS EMPORIUM (FFL BUSINESS NAME IF ANY)
    1313 MOCKINGBIRD LANE
    CUMQUOT, ID 00000

Last edited:

WarBaby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    DFW, TX
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m trying to think of this from the buyer’s perspective as well. I have used Texas Gun Trader in the past with good results. It seems lately that it’s more like Craigslist with all the idiots. Might try it again, but specify local sale only. Seems Gun Broker may be an option too.
    Its the scammers that are ruining the experience for everyone. Armslist booted them all off when they started charging a fee so TGT wound up with a ton of scammers, and people get tired of sorting through the fake ads. I know I do.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    You just mentioned some excellent reasons, for me, to avoid Texas Gun Trader - especially the fact that you said you are definitely showing up armed. I never had to worry about doing a single transaction on Gun Broker while armed but I see folks repeatedly mention the fact they would never do a transaction with someone from Texas Gun Trader unless they were armed. That is apparently because so many crooks and scammers post sales there there and/or because of so many opportunists using that site looking for opportunities to rip off someone who is selling a gun.

Anyone can make an account there, and since its basically Craigslist for guns, one should take appropriate safety measures. To date - I've probably done 30 face to face firearms transactions - trades, buyer, or seller - and haven't had a problem yet BUT (there's always a but, right?) there have been documented cases of people getting robbed when showing up to buy/sell/trade a gun. You know there's at least one gun involved - or cash (or both)

A couple years before I moved here, when Oregon still had "legal" face to face transactions, there was a gentleman robbed of his Sig P220 in the town I grew up in, from an Armslist transaction that went bad.

Always pick semi-busy businesses to do my transactions with - so there's ether potential witnesses if shit breaks bad, or cameras in the vicinity. I prefer to show up with a friend for overwatch for the same purpose.

I don't like selling on the sites like Texas Gun Trader or Armslist as much as I do forums, because it seems like you get a bit of a feel for a person - even if its an illusion - if you're selling to a known member. I've met some great guys on here thru trades / sales. Same with other forums I used to haunt.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Anyone can make an account there, and since its basically Craigslist for guns, one should take appropriate safety measures. To date - I've probably done 30 face to face firearms transactions - trades, buyer, or seller - and haven't had a problem yet BUT (there's always a but, right?) there have been documented cases of people getting robbed when showing up to buy/sell/trade a gun. You know there's at least one gun involved - or cash (or both)

A couple years before I moved here, when Oregon still had "legal" face to face transactions, there was a gentleman robbed of his Sig P220 in the town I grew up in, from an Armslist transaction that went bad.

Always pick semi-busy businesses to do my transactions with - so there's ether potential witnesses if shit breaks bad, or cameras in the vicinity. I prefer to show up with a friend for overwatch for the same purpose.

I don't like selling on the sites like Texas Gun Trader or Armslist as much as I do forums, because it seems like you get a bit of a feel for a person - even if its an illusion - if you're selling to a known member. I've met some great guys on here thru trades / sales. Same with other forums I used to haunt.
    I've always been armed and careful about meeting places chosen for gun or vehicle purchases. I've heard too many bad stories concerning Craigslist so I avoid it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    TGT can be fine - the key is to vet the buyer/seller thoroughly. No email addy? Yeah, ain't happening....no direct (phone voice) conversation? Again, not happening. Doesn't seem interested in anything but "getting the deal done"? Again - avoiding. As mentioned, the forums are my preferred way, but I've done via GB buying and selling, by and large w/good results. The ONLY forms of payment I accept are cash or USPS MO. Period. NO PP, Zelle, or any other form of electronic payment. Most will reverse the funds if they get whiff of a firearms transaction - they now have the gun, and you have zip.
    Just bought a NH this past weekend, meeting at the Academy off 1604. Yeah, I was armed - as was the seller. There was a fairly significant amount of cash changing hands, so it was prudent, not paranoia.

Top Bottom