Need advice on getting rid of class III item

Discussion in 'Class III / NFA' started by decadude, Jun 14, 2018.

1. decadude

decadude Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Denton, TX
    I haven't the slightest clue involved but I own a silencerco sparrow .22 caliber suppressor.

I am no class III dealer but was wanting to get rid of this thing is it better to sell to a dealer etc?

The can has never been fired.

2. pronstar

pronstar Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’d totally buy it but waiting a year for a tax stamp while you store my silencer for me is sort of a deal breaker...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You probably will not like the dealer's price.

But a non-dealer will like getting it for less than dealer sale price.

4. baboon

baboon Well-Known

Older friend of mine gifted me a suppressed Ruger MII, Ruger 77/22 & a 30 caliber can because it beat destroying it & I was the only person that could own it he knew. I threw him payment in the way of Ammo & cash. The ammo ended up coming back to me as his eye sight went on him.

5. dermunkee

dermunkee Active Member Lifetime Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    A sparrow is ~$400 brand new, I think I've seen them go on sale for 350. If you try and sell to a dealer, they are most likely going to turn you down, as they'll offer somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 for it and have to submit a form 4 and pay 200 to the feds and wait months just to get it from you.

Similarly, a private party buying it from you has to be comfortable with you holding on to the silencer while the form 4 process is going on and very likely you holding on to their cash at the same time (I doubt you'd be comfortable having it going through the transfer process without being paid).

Your best bet is to keep it and enjoy it, especially if it's transferred to you and not a trust.

6. decadude

decadude Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Denton, TX
    Don't I have to pay money to get it out of my name if I sell to an individual or no?

The can is in a trust unfortunately hoping this does not make it even more difficult to transfer and sell to someone else.

7. baboon

baboon Well-Known

Not really. If you were to transfer it in state it could go to an individual if they pay for the $200.00 stamp.

If you really just want to get out of it that bad & on the cheap just destroy it per BATFE guidelines.

8. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So, how did you end up with a can you don't want?

orbitup and pronstar like this.
  9. Shady

Shady Well-Known

Aug 24, 2013
    Depending how the trust is set up you can also just add the buyer to it and he can take the suppressor that day. This could make the can worth more than a new one lol.

I would not recommend doing this if there are other items in the trust.

I would also want them to file paper work to have it swapped to there own trust.

if you can remove yourself from the trust even better.

Might be worth a consult to a NFA proficient attorney

Its also one of the few times I might request some kind of document saying its no longer in your possession and the buy knows the NFA rules and is allowed to own them.

10. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I had thought of this but didn't suggest it for the same reason you state, lol.