• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • decadude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Denton, TX
    I haven't the slightest clue involved but I own a silencerco sparrow .22 caliber suppressor.

I am no class III dealer but was wanting to get rid of this thing is it better to sell to a dealer etc?

The can has never been fired.
    Capitol Armory ad

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’d totally buy it but waiting a year for a tax stamp while you store my silencer for me is sort of a deal breaker...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You probably will not like the dealer's price.

But a non-dealer will like getting it for less than dealer sale price.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Older friend of mine gifted me a suppressed Ruger MII, Ruger 77/22 & a 30 caliber can because it beat destroying it & I was the only person that could own it he knew. I threw him payment in the way of Ammo & cash. The ammo ended up coming back to me as his eye sight went on him.

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    A sparrow is ~$400 brand new, I think I've seen them go on sale for 350. If you try and sell to a dealer, they are most likely going to turn you down, as they'll offer somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 for it and have to submit a form 4 and pay 200 to the feds and wait months just to get it from you.

Similarly, a private party buying it from you has to be comfortable with you holding on to the silencer while the form 4 process is going on and very likely you holding on to their cash at the same time (I doubt you'd be comfortable having it going through the transfer process without being paid).

Your best bet is to keep it and enjoy it, especially if it's transferred to you and not a trust.

decadude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Denton, TX
    Don't I have to pay money to get it out of my name if I sell to an individual or no?

The can is in a trust unfortunately hoping this does not make it even more difficult to transfer and sell to someone else.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Don't I have to pay money to get it out of my name if I sell to an individual or no?

The can is in a trust unfortunately hoping this does not make it even more difficult to transfer and sell to someone else.
    Not really. If you were to transfer it in state it could go to an individual if they pay for the $200.00 stamp.

If you really just want to get out of it that bad & on the cheap just destroy it per BATFE guidelines.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Depending how the trust is set up you can also just add the buyer to it and he can take the suppressor that day. This could make the can worth more than a new one lol.

I would not recommend doing this if there are other items in the trust.

I would also want them to file paper work to have it swapped to there own trust.

if you can remove yourself from the trust even better.

Might be worth a consult to a NFA proficient attorney

Its also one of the few times I might request some kind of document saying its no longer in your possession and the buy knows the NFA rules and is allowed to own them.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Depending how the trust is set up you can also just add the buyer to it and he can take the suppressor that day. This could make the can worth more than a new one lol.

I would not recommend doing this if there are other items in the trust.

I would also want them to file paper work to have it swapped to there own trust.

if you can remove yourself from the trust even better.

Might be worth a consult to a NFA proficient attorney

Its also one of the few times I might request some kind of document saying its no longer in your possession and the buy knows the NFA rules and is allowed to own them.

I had thought of this but didn't suggest it for the same reason you state, lol.

decadude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Denton, TX
    Not really. If you were to transfer it in state it could go to an individual if they pay for the $200.00 stamp.

If you really just want to get out of it that bad & on the cheap just destroy it per BATFE guidelines.

So as long as I sell it in state then I do not have to worry about paying the $200 to get it out of my name to the ATF?

Someone mentioned me having to pay $200 or something as well I just want to clarify

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    So as long as I sell it in state then I do not have to worry about paying the $200 to get it out of my name to the ATF?

Someone mentioned me having to pay $200 or something as well I just want to clarify

If the receiving person pays it! If you were to sell it out of state it would have to go to a dealer in that state first. The other dealer won't pick up your taxes for you. Besides no one out of state is going to wait the additional time for it to transfer to a dealer first, then to themselves.

This is exactly why my buddy decided to give his 2 suppressed guns & can to me.

It's still hard to understand why you bought it & now want to get rid of it.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    in the end the government wants $200 each time a NFA item changes ownership.

If its in state then its 1 $200 payment. If it has to transfer out of state its 1 $200 stamp to transfer it to a FFL and then 1 $200 stamp to go from the ffl to the new buyer.

And each stamp takes from 8-12 months.

decadude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Denton, TX
    I formed the trust myself with the CAN in it.

I use to have a massive gun collection a huge safe etc with a TON of stuff ammo for days. I just wanted to downsize my life and out of everything I sold and got rid of gun safe, ammo, and guns this is the only NFA item I have and I got rid of all my .22 cal stuff and I have this m&p 22 handgun adapter and can. I bought it a few years ago when I was on a mad dash buying spree for gun stuff.

Now I just want and have two or three guns because I realize it is all I need. Plus I have this silly idea of standardizing my guns and ONLY shooting 9mm I have a glock 34, a PCC in 9mm, but I am finding it super hard in getting rid of my glock 42 .380 acp conceal so I may have two different caliber for my guns after all. I just know I want to get rid of the .22 and can for certain.

If I did get rid of the g42 I was going to move to a glock 43 but I like to gym shorts front pocket carry and I am pretty sure the glock 42 as far as comfort level which is the most important conceal carry aspect for me is going to win out and I keep it. Plus the fact that my serial number ends in 911 for the glock 42 so for that reason makes me want to keep it more :)

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    If possible to add me to your trust, and I didn’t have to pay the $200 transfer fee...I’d give ya $200 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom