• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    I've decided to upgrade my alarm system to a monitored system. My house was built with a Guardian system installed.
    I have them coming over tomorrow for an estimate to upgrade the system.

I had an ADT system in my old home. I never had a problem with them, but they were kind of expensive. They say that they can takeover my system and also provide the security I'm looking for.

So between those two, anyone have any experience? Pros or cons? Online reviews for both are about the same. It seems that with either, the main complaint was getting out of the contract if needed, and outrageous fees for anything you may need done in the future.

Any experience related advice would be appreciated.
    Guns International

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    We use San Antonio Security. Over the past 7 years, we've had ONE price increase (less than a buck). I like that kind of stability, and they are quick on the phone if the alarm goes off. 210-342-3100. Wouldn't sign anything until I'd at least spoken w/them.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I am no fan of monitored security systems.

Too many things that can go wrong: False alert & police/fire department response (find yourself in municipal court for a false alarm); burglars target you because they know what you got: They've done their homework and know how to defeat your security system.

I prefer passive measures: Window bars, gated entrances to all exterior doors, big loud barking dogs, reinforced dead locks, and motion sensor-activated out door lights.

When the bad guys invade your space, you'll have ample warning to stand your ground.

Don't trust another person to have your best interests at heart.

Be well.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Each of us has to do what we have to do. For me, I'm layered - 110 lb boxer that patrols the yard and home if we want, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna live behind bars. If I'm home, the alarm will alert me to entry - then they have *me* to deal with. If not, I'm 1 mile from the local PD - and since I've been known to help 'em load rounds and tinker w/a gun here and there, they keep a weather eye on the place anyways.

Oh - and if it's just "Schoolmarm", then they get to deal with a gal that's a dead shot - and knows how ta use every gun in the place! An' she does NOT mess around!

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    We use San Antonio Security. Over the past 7 years, we've had ONE price increase (less than a buck). I like that kind of stability, and they are quick on the phone if the alarm goes off. 210-342-3100. Wouldn't sign anything until I'd at least spoken w/them.

Thanks for the info. I'll add them to my list of people to interview. I'm not signing squat until I've throughly researched my options.

Shortround: I'm more concerned with a breakin while the house is unoccupied. I've done what "passive" precautions I can, but I'm sure a burgler could still get in if they're determined enough. Without a monitored system, they could have all day to work on it.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Ask for real examples where they saved the home or business owner money by using THEIR company and alarms including reponse times and details, like what was saved in the home, how long it took police to get there, what triggered the alarm etc.... I'd like to hear those myself. I've never gotten one from the companies I've asked.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Again - I can only speak to the folks I mentioned....when the alarm triggers, phone is ringing in less than 3 minutes (don't ask). When SOMEONE (not me) couldn't remember the password, PD was on our doorstep in less than 5 minutes. We've had the cat set it off once (adjusted so it hasn't happened since), another when SOMEONE had a "blonde moment" and couldn't remember the keypad sequence, and another when we tried the wireless remote system that was ultimately found to be having issues with RF intereference triggering it.
    Now, the last example is one of the reasons I don't hesitate to recommend 'em. Once they figured out we had a problem w/the wireless system, they came out, removed it, returned the system to the original setup - and creditted back the FULL purchase price WITHOUT any issue. They were ready to cut a check and refund us the money - I just had 'em credit the account and paid out the monthly fees with it until used up. The key thing to me was that there was NO BS, NO hassle - they simply took care of business.

jbr24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Austin
    i like the idea of motion sensor lights, but just remember that nothing you do can totally stop a criminal, it can just make it harder/louder/take longer for them to get in (my professor taught me this in one of my CJ classes )

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeppirs! All I intend ta do is slow 'em down long enough for the shooting team ta arrive...<G>

But seriously - you're spot on. Bars, lights, dogs - to someone determined, it'll only slow 'em down. That's all the safe is gonna do, too - but usually that means they'll bypass it because they'll know they don't have the time to defeat it and get out.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Again - I can only speak to the folks I mentioned....when the alarm triggers, phone is ringing in less than 3 minutes (don't ask). When SOMEONE (not me) couldn't remember the password, PD was on our doorstep in less than 5 minutes. We've had the cat set it off once (adjusted so it hasn't happened since), another when SOMEONE had a "blonde moment" and couldn't remember the keypad sequence, and another when we tried the wireless remote system that was ultimately found to be having issues with RF intereference triggering it.
    Now, the last example is one of the reasons I don't hesitate to recommend 'em. Once they figured out we had a problem w/the wireless system, they came out, removed it, returned the system to the original setup - and creditted back the FULL purchase price WITHOUT any issue. They were ready to cut a check and refund us the money - I just had 'em credit the account and paid out the monthly fees with it until used up. The key thing to me was that there was NO BS, NO hassle - they simply took care of business.

You be in trouble when she reads this...........I take it you'll be hiding out at Sterling's place?

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Just an FYI, many "alarm companies", even the big ones are realy just sales and installation companies and they subcontract the actual monitoring to a 3rd party. One of the bigest national monitoing companys that they contract with also have a retail division. Alarm Relay Inc. All they do is monitor, but if you already have the sytem, why not save a few buck on monitoring and go with a company that your "alarm company" may use anyway?

FYI...I am a customer and have no affiliation with them. Never had an alarm go off, but did work with them to get things going and they have called when the power has gone off.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    Just an FYI, many "alarm companies", even the big ones are realy just sales and installation companies and they subcontract the actual monitoring to a 3rd party. One of the bigest national monitoing companys that they contract with also have a retail division. Alarm Relay Inc. All they do is monitor, but if you already have the sytem, why not save a few buck on monitoring and go with a company that your "alarm company" may use anyway?

FYI...I am a customer and have no affiliation with them. Never had an alarm go off, but did work with them to get things going and they have called when the power has gone off.

Good point. I just finished speaking with S.A.Security. Their local, and said that they do their own monitoring. Been in business (family) for 42 years.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Forty Two years ago, we never worried about home invasions or burglaries in the country or in the 'burbs. Most of us left our car and house doors unlocked.

Maybe security services were set up to protect banks, liquor, and convenience stores.

I'd rather trust my dogs, than a monitoring service.

In a smaller town, that might work, but in Dirty 'Ol SA, you will wait on the Police an hour or more to respond to a burglary call.

That is why the Legislature finally passed the "Castle Doctrine Law."

When I leave my home, the dogs still roam the property, my home still has passive defenses, and we have neighbors who look out for each other.

There are even newer technologies available today where you can link your home security sensors to your smart phone.

Why use a middle-man?

Just boiled some three-year old Ozarka spring water for coffee this morning. Tasted great.

Be well.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    Forty Two years ago, we never worried about home invasions or burglaries in the country or in the 'burbs. Most of us left our car and house doors unlocked.

I live in the "burbs", and it's a greater concern than it was 42 years ago

Maybe security services were set up to protect banks, liquor, and convenience stores.

I'd rather trust my dogs, than a monitoring service.

I have a lap dog. All bark and no bite.

In a smaller town, that might work, but in Dirty 'Ol SA, you will wait on the Police an hour or more to respond to a burglary call.

My neighbors alarm sounded last week, minutes after he left home. Bexar County was there in less than 5 minutes. I know this because I was home, working on my truck when they arrived. I know that's not always possible, but it's not going to be an hour either.

That is why the Legislature finally passed the "Castle Doctrine Law."

That's great....if you're home

When I leave my home, the dogs still roam the property, my home still has passive defenses, and we have neighbors who look out for each other.

My neighbors are seldom home either, and nowadays, nobody wants to get involved. I can't rely on them for much. Welcome to the burbs.

There are even newer technologies available today where you can link your home security sensors to your smart phone.

I'm too stupid to use a smart phone.

Why use a middle-man?

Because it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to be monitored. I get your points, but we each gotta do what is best for us.

Just boiled some three-year old Ozarka spring water for coffee this morning. Tasted great.

Be well.

Glad you enjoyed the coffee!!!!!

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Just a couple of other points to consider. We are out in the country and have GVTC monitoring.

As well as break-in alarms, we have police, fire and ambulance panic buttons. I've been known to injure myself occasionally. Panic buttons seem to be a good idea.

You should check with your homeowners insurance policy. Most (including mine) give hefty discounts if you have a monitored system.

Top Bottom