Lynx Defense

Need advice to repair 22 Iver Johnson misfires.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeBug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Dallas
    Greetings everyone!

This is my 2nd post here so be gentle. My knowledge of gun repair is very, very light.

I have an Iver Johnson 22 slide action that I purchased new around 1980ish. I used it a few times plinking with my Dad and it was stored away until now.

The problem is that about 1 in 10 cartridges misfires. I've attached a pic of a fired round that I shot with a working 510 Targetmaster and then chambered that same spent cartridge into the Iver Johnson to make a comparison of the two indentations. I did notice that indentation mark of the Iver was not as deep and didn't bulge the rim like the working 510. The edges of the mark do seem to be sharp.
    22Compare.jpg
    Thinking that something was slowing or blocking the striker/pin (I don't know what it is called exactly) I stripped the gun down as far as I would dare and cleaned the parts with solvent (Hoppes) and removed any dried grease or debris. I lubricated and reassembled. It took a long time to get it back together because I could not figure out how to get the hammer, slide, and everything to line up. If someone could point me to an article or how-to it would be much appreciated. I took another spent cartridge and did the same indentation test and the results were the same. The indentation seems too weak compared to the 510. On the plus side, the gun is now very clean.

The striker/firing pin does move back and forth in the housing (again not sure what it is called exactly) and hammer moves freely. The sound of the hammer hitting the pin sound a little soft to me but I don't have a reference to compare it to. It's not the solid sharp click I'm used to.

Is the amount the pin moves forward by the hammer adjustable? Should I replace the spring that loads the hammer before I do anything? If so, where do I get one?

Thank you for your help and do please correct my naming of the parts so I can learn a few thing along the way.

Best regards,

DeBug

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I'm not familiar with that model but I am familiar enough with Winchester rimfire ammo to know that it is unreliable. I would try a different brand first.

The primer strike does look lighter than your 510 so maybe a new set of springs is needed. I would still try different ammo first.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    A common cause of light strikes with 22 LR is a dirty chamber. If the round is not seated completely, some of the impact of the firing pin is dampened and you won't get a good solid strike. Get a brass brush in the chamber and some good solvent and scrub it til it shines.

Also, ditto on the Winchester ammo.

Did you have the same problem when it was new?

Last edited:

DeBug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Dallas
    I didn't notice any excessive build up before or after the cleaning, but here is a pic of the chamber:

22_-005.jpg

The one thing I noticed is that there is an indention mark where the firing pin strikes. Is that there by design or does it come with too many dry fires?

Thank you for your help.

DeBug

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I had a Glennfield Model 60 that became very prone to light strikes. Turns out it had been fired so much that there was an intention worn where the hammer struck the firing pin. Replaced the hammer and all is well.

Probably not the issue with the Round count you describe, but might be worth checking. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Strip the bolt.
    Insert the firing pin into the bolt. gently push it as far forward in the bolt as it would during firing. Hold it there.
    Check the protrusion distance on the bolt face.
    More than likely the tip has been battered down by use. Could be as simple as replacing the firing pin.
    Also check to see that the hole the firing pin travels thru on the bolt is free and clear. There might be some crud preventing the firing pin from going full forward.

W-W .22lr ammo = bad juju. Replace asap.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    After looking at your photo of the chamber.......
    Check the bolt to chamber face fit.
    If that divot from dry firing has peened out too much it could be preventing the bolt from closing up tight to the chamber.
    It doesn't take but a teeny bit to push it back preventing the firing pin from going fully forward.
    You may have to remove the burred/peened metal.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I concur with the other guys...

- Make sure the firing pin channel is cleaned out.
    - Check your firing pin for obstructions and/or wear on the case and/or hammer end.
    - Smooth out the protrusions on the barrel/chamber face.
    - Give a little scrub inside the chamber to make sure you don't have a carbon ring.

One potential issue not mentioned yet: you may need to replace the spring on the hammer if it's running a little weak.

Lastly, check the inside of the rim of a fired cartridge (opposite where the firing pin strikes) to see if the damage on the chamber face is causing a dent or scratch. That could help determine if that damage is really the issue or not.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Last edited:

DeBug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Dallas
    I think it's fixed!!!

Thanks to you all!

I rounded up all the advice and did my best to check each one and check/adjust/fix. Seeing that firing pin was only held in place by one pin, I removed the firing pin and checked that it was smooth and had free travel. I did not see any obstructions, but I did smooth out any rough edges from the stamping process. I also polished the front of the firing pin just above the smaller section that strikes the rim of the cartridge. I deburred the barrel where pin had made an indention and then buffed it to a smooth finish. I did my best to only remove enough of the metal to get a flat surface. The chamber/cartridge/bolt seating looked good to me, but again I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the adjustments and specifications of this rifle. I just didn't see very much play with the cartridge chambered. Also, the rim of the cartridge seemed to be fully seated against the barrel.

To me, the indentation looks deeper and the rim of the cartridge is now deforming more than the first picture I posted on this thread. Here is the pic showing the results of the barrel and firing pin deburring and smoothing:

22-FP-ADJ-1.jpg

Again, a BIG THANK YOU for the advice and things to check! While the 510 still makes a much deeper firing pin indentation, I believe this is working as is. My next step is to put another 100 rounds through it to see if there are any more misfires. I will use the ammo from the same batch as the misfires to keep the results honest.

Best regards,

DeBug

DeBug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Dallas
    Just a quick follow-up...I did go to the gun range off of Luna Rd. and put a box and a half through it. There were no misfires and the spent cartridges looked "okay". Not as deep of a divot of my other rimfire, but deep enough to say it's fixed. Thank you all for the advice!

Now on to scoping the 510...

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Just a quick follow-up...I did go to the gun range off of Luna Rd. and put a box and a half through it. There were no misfires and the spent cartridges looked "okay". Not as deep of a divot of my other rimfire, but deep enough to say it's fixed. Thank you all for the advice!

Now on to scoping the 510...
    I was going to weigh in but it looks like you don't need anymore advice. Glad you got the problem fixed

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom