Lynx Defense

Need advise on buying my first shotgun (for home defense)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnKennySang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Singapore
    I am a CHL holder and have 2 9MM pistols in my home, so I have some shooting experience.

I am thinking of buying a Shotgun to add to my "arsenal". I have NO experience with shotguns and need some help to decide what to buy. Also, this is something that I would want my wife to be able to handle if needed.

What gauge?
    Length?
    Brand?
    What type of shells?
    Will indoor ranges allow one to shoot a SG?

Thanks for your help
    Lynx Defense

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My preference is for an 18" barrel pump action with youth stock. 20ga is plenty with #4 buck.

That said, your wife would need to spend plenty of time shooting it because shortstroking a pump action will jam it up. Really, a person should be extremely familiar with any weapon they plan to use in a high stress defensive situation.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870. My 870 magnum express has been a fantastic shotgun. I'd look for one that is older though, Remington's newer stuff isn't up to snuff. Remington 1100s are good too but they are a bit long and unwieldy in close quarters. I love mine but it's a pain in the ass to handle the way my house is laid out.

Can't go wrong with anything buckshot. No particular brand for home defense in my opinion. As long as you aren't packing birdshot you are good to go. 20 gauge is good, I personally like 12 though. It all depends on what you can handle in a situation. Don't get something that would be detrimental to survival like a 12 gauge if you think a 20 would suit you better.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Probably the best first step is to find out what your wife is willing to shoot. Try to borrow a 12 gauge and see if that is okay for her. If not, start stepping down.

I am still a believer that a handgun is optimum inside the house.

As far as load, buckshot. In 12 gauge, personally I use 00. But other buckshot loads are suitable as well.

Monty_dial

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Well.......I have always been in the 12g pump crowd. However, last year I purchased a Mossberg 930 JM and if has become my “go to”. Whatever you get, train with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Take a look on YT for a guy named Paul Harrell. He gives some great advice on HD shotguns. And for various firearms and the loads for them.
    +1. Paul Harrell is the best no-BS gun channel on YT. He cuts through all the tacticool crap to get down to the facts and lets you formulate your own opinion

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Go big or go home.
    Benelli m4 is totally reliable and the argos gas system absorbs enough recoil a chick could shoot it.
    If its good enough for the mil its good enough for you
    Quality self protection aint cheap
    24pdkd0.jpg

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    My 870 magnum express has been a fantastic shotgun. I'd look for one that is older though, Remington's newer stuff isn't up to snuff.
    So, is your 870 Express older or newer? If it is newer, what isn't up to snuff about it?
    870 Expresses were never built to the same level as the Police Magnums but it is not too hard the replace the handful of small cast parts with the Police steel parts.

The Expresses do seem prone to rough chambers which can cause stuck cases but again it is pretty easy to smooth them out.

Lots of good info here: http://www.rem870.com/

I do, however, prefer where the slide release and safety are located on the 500/590 series from Mossberg. I have one of each - 18.5" 870 Express Magnum and 18.5" Mossberg 590A1.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Some indoor ranges allow you to shoot shotguns. I know DFW Gun range does.

Two bits of advice that "the movies" and Internet folklore get wrong:

The shot spread of a shotgun at home-defense distances is small, patterns will be tight. Meaning, you still need to have accurate aim.

And 00 Buck will penetrate several walls, so over penetration is a concern...know what's behind what you're aiming at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The Mossberg 500 has been around since 1960, it's very affordable and there are many styles.

If you plan on getting a shotgun as a weapon for your wife, I would make sure she is comfortable with shooting one. Many shotguns are heavier and have more recoil then other rifles and many women, of smaller stature, don't care for that.

If your wife isn't comfortable with a shotgun I then might recommend an AR-15 for home defense. They are usually lighter and have less recoil, although the cost is a little higher, plus if you live in a more rural area an AR-15 would be a better weapon against animals such as coyotes.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Some indoor ranges allow you to shoot shotguns. I know DFW Gun range does.

Two bits of advice that "the movies" and Internet folklore get wrong:

The shot spread of a shotgun at home-defense distances is small, patterns will be tight. Meaning, you still need to have accurate aim.

And 00 Buck will penetrate several walls, so over penetration is a concern...know what's behind what you're aiming at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good points. Of course, most handgun ammo will penetrate several walls as well.

Top Bottom