• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Looking for an entry level red dot sight for an AR15. Use would be HD <25yds scenario (more realistically like 5-10). His preference is the hood style type as opposed to the tubed scope so he can retain a good FOV shooting both eyes open. $125-$200 is palatable. I don't think he wants to pay for an Eotech. The rifle does have a FSB so I need to know if a riser is required too.

I see Burris makes several models in their FastFire line. https://www.primaryarms.com/Burris-s/583.htm Anyone have an experience?

What others should I be looking at?

Thanks
    Guns International

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    You sure he doesn't want an EOTech? Cause the $60 rebate is still going on until Jan 31st.

Model 512 for $289 after rebate is a hell of a deal and if he's willing to put up $200, saving another $89 isn't too bad for a much higher quality sight is it?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I should rephrase, he may want it, but he don't wanna pay for it lol I'll pass the info on to him though, it might be enough to change his mind. Do you have a link for the vendor/rebate?

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    I have an Aimpoint and can shoot <25 yards with both eyes open easy.Pretty sure Vortex Strikefire would do the job and would be a lot more durable than a fastfire.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I should rephrase, he may want it, but he don't wanna pay for it lol I'll pass the info on to him though, it might be enough to change his mind. Do you have a link for the vendor/rebate?

The one I bought was from Katy Gun Gear at a Houston gun show, $349 cash out the door, and -$60 rebate came out to $289. I don't know if they still have that price going or not.

The closest Internet deal I could find to that price is at Aim Surplus: EOTech 512 Holographic Weapon Sight
    Enter the promo code: BRYANFREAKINROCKS

And it comes out to $359 with free shipping. So umm $299 with the -$60 rebate offer. You gotta fill out and send in the receipt/UPC code to http://eotech.rebateaccess.com for the rebate.

You could also maybe see if Jakasshh could get one for cheaper with his Gander Mtn employee discount and use the rebate with that for super mega savings?

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Grumper, I appreciate the details on the rebate. Will look into it.

Moonpie, thanks. I saw that page. Great prices but what I don't know is how good the equipment is. So, I need some reviews & feedback too.

I have shot the Vortex StrikeFire at the range. "Inceptor" let me shoot his at the range one meetup we had. It did well. I was on the bench at 25yds so I did not get a variety of use, but it did good. I have suggested it but it isn't gaining traction yet.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That PrimaryArms branded gear doesn't not seem bad. I'm pretty sure they are made in China. It's not an Eotech or Aimpoint but for less than $100 it makes a good entry level optic. They have a 3 MOA dot which is good for close in shooting which you said Tim wants so that's a benefit. The 3 MOA is not great for distance shooting though. Most other brands have 1 MOA dots.

Might look at Vortex as well. Stay away from NC Star. I had one and it was a POS. Wouldn't hold zero, reticale got off by about 6 degrees after shooting a bit. Sent it back, they sent me a new one and luckily I was able to sell it on Ebay for about what I paid for it.

I splurged and bought an Aimpoint Micro H1. I don't know if I'll replace the Eotech on my AR with it. Love the Eotech except for the battery life, which on my model is very low. The Aimpoint is rated at 50,000 hours on one CR2032 battery (5 years set at brightness level suitable for daytime shooting)

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks Navyguy. I remember handling a couple of your items with RDS. On your Eotech about how long can you expect the battery to last if it's off and stored in the safe?

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Maybe I just have bad luck but every EOtech I've owned ate batteries like crazy. The worst was the first gen which nommed a brand new pair of batteries in a week.

The newer 512s I've had would eat them in 5-6 months. I never store them with batteries installed any more. If you use alkaline batteries be especially careful, because if you leave them in there and they burst/leak it will eat away the rubber housing holding the springs in place in the battery compartment.

I only use lithium batteries and never leave them inside my EOtechs. Makes them last longer and less chance of a mess.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    My Eotech is model 510 which takes the N size batteries. Spec'd at 200 hours, but they drain if left in the sight while stored, so they need to be taken out. Compare that to 50,000 hours for the Aimpoint with cheap-ass CR2032 batteries. Other Eotech's that take AA batteries, especially those that have them mounted perpendicular to the bore (recoil doesn't beat the hell out of them) are much better, but none come close to the battery life of the Aimpoints.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Primary arms optics are made in China. Probably in the same factory that makes optics for the likes of Burris and other name manufacturers.

The primary arms rds style sights are nice. They should be daylight visible. If not, sir d it back and Marshall will take care of you.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Buy once, cry once - Aimpoint!

I agree. However,

Looking for a... red dot sight for an AR15. Use would be HD <25yds ...

...given that very specific requirement, I have one of these.

2741_zpse387a612.jpg

No batteries. Tougher than any red dot. Absolutely adequate (especially with the orange post front) for minute-of-bad-guy at 25 yards. I shoot mine with both eyes open all the time. And if there's something in the way on top of the rifle, it's easy enough to mount 45 degrees offset.

Yeah, JP has gotten a little expensive with them; they're about $130. Still, it should be possible to find one used for a lot less. And I'm sure there are even cheaper knock-offs.

I realized it's not what you asked for but I just thought I'd toss out another alternative, fwiw.

Now, to actually respond to your question - I have a Sparc Vortex that I like just fine. The optical shortcomings are a tad irritating now that I have some Aimpoint experience. Also, it is my second unit; the first one I bought, the on-off button fell off under the rubber cover during the first week. My LGS took it back and handed me a new one right out of their display case; the second sight works fine for me. I have it mounted atop a .45 pistol and it's guided a couple of thousand rounds of hardball downrange. It if hasn't failed in that application I imagine it'll stand up just fine to being on an AR.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Both eyes open is not jsut easy, it is the best way to shoot a RDS.

Yes, that is obviously one of the best benefits of a quality RDS. Just to be clear, I was only explaining to Shorts that BEO with an Aimpoint is no more difficult than with an Eotech, as her SO had a different opinion.

JimBobKelley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    I have a Primary Arms micro dot, copy of the Aimpoint T-1/H-1, and like it a lot. I had an Aimpoint H-1 and returned it because the red dot looked fuzzy to me and I was not happy with the money I spent on it just to be fuzzy. I then read on another forum that Primary Arms micro dot had a very crisp 3 MOA dot so I have it a shot for $89. I'm very happy with my cheap imitation Aimpoint. The dot to me is much more crisp than the H-1 I had previously. It's funny because the PA micro sits in a Larue QD mount which cost more than the actual optic.

I have not used a brightness setting past 3 on the optic. 3 is enough for me to see outside on a sunny day against most backgrounds/targets. The settings go up to 11 and claim a 1000hr battery life on a medium setting using lithium batteries IIRC. I believe that is the same battery life as the EOTech 512 using lithium batteries. Yes it's made in China and it is cheap, but I have yet to cry with purchasing it.

Just my experience with it so far. Time may tell otherwise.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom