Need Help Buying Long Range Rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by winnracing, Jan 24, 2009.

1. winnracing

winnracing New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Hello, Im new so let me know what Im doing wrong...!!!
    But, Im looking to buy a rifle & scope that will take down deer, wild hog & maybe a turkey !
    But the rifle I need, and scope... I need to be able to hit my target from between 400 & 600 yards.
    Ive looked at a few .308 but really would like other options on a caliber of rifle as well as a scope.
    I hope to have this rifle & scope in my hands in the next 30 to 60 days, so let me know what you think would be my best purchase for both items I need.

2. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    .308 will work fine for what you want except...

Is it legal to hunt turkey with a rifle? It's not very practical, you won't wind up with much left... Most people hunt turkeys with tightly-choked shotguns (and shoot for the head) for a reason.

3. andre3k

andre3k Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Are you looking to hunt at 400 - 600 yards?

Or are you looking to target shoot at 400 - 600 yards?

4. winnracing

winnracing New Member

Jan 24, 2009

Our hunting blind is set up around 500 yards from where deer cross, but sometimes they cross closer, & sometimes at 600 yards away.
    But I have another rifle in case something comes within 125 yards
    I think if I go with a rifle that will hit at 600 yards would be the best...

Thanks

5. winnracing

winnracing New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Well, if you shoot turky in the head with a 22-250, then to be on the safe side pop them afterwords with a 12Ga, its legal...???:hammerhead:

6. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    No, I'm honestly ignorant on that point. I know that some states don't allow things like that, but have no idea about Texas, being new here.

7. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Buy a Remington 700 5R and mount a Leupold VX-III 20+x scope on it. That's about as cost effective as it gets.

8. yam13f

yam13f New Member

Jan 6, 2009
    nacogdoches, tx

x2

9. 2bnag

2bnag New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    northeast texas
    You didn't mention how much you expect (or are willing to spend) to pay for good accuracy out to 600 yards or more. If you are on a budget, a long action Savage in 7mm Ren mag is very accurate, and has the potential range you need.
    An Armalite AR-30 in .338 Lapua is a little more money, but has more range (1600 yards with a 300 grain bullet) and knockdown power than anything else in the same price range. And there are all sorts of things in between the two.

10. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    To get a rifle that will humanely take game at over 1/4 of a mile away you are going to be spending thousands. I hunt a lot and could not even begin to give advice.{ everything I shoot is under 300 yards,95% is under 225, the exception being pigs, those I will attempt at 300.}

Find somewhere you can regularly practice at 500+ before you even think of going in the woods and sending rounds down. You have to do some serious elevation adjustments for that kind of yardage and if you screw it up, you will have a heavy projectile coming down somewhere at terminal velocities.

Good luck.