Texas SOT

Need help Crimping plated and lead bullets.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I have a 500S&W and when loading of jacketed bullets with cannelures it seems easy. Crimp at the cannelure and use a good crimp that binds the bullet. I get a good clean burn and good velocity.

I got a bunch of plated bullets without cannelures and I am seating them to the same OAL as jacketed bullets and used the same crimp. The problem is I don't get good powder burn and velocity as shown. I have been advised to "crimp" more firmly. The problem is I don't know what that means. Sure I measure case length and I turn down the die until it touches the shell plate and the edge of the case mouth rolls sharply into the bullet. Seems simple enough. What am i missing? Can I over crimp? I know there is a direct relation between charge weight and crimp on the pressure curve. So how do you get a repeatable crimp?
    Thanks.
    Target Sports

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I load a ton of plated and lead bullets for the 45 colt. Personally, I prefer to use the Lee factory crimp die to finish off all of my rounds. Most people advise using a heavy roll crimp but I like the results I get with the Lee FCD. It will create a light cannelure of its own when you use it on plated or lead bullets. It allows great consistency in crimping because it creates a crimp based on the OAL of your brass. As long as you batch out very consistent brass, you will also get very consistent crimps out of it. Also, it is definitely possible to over crimp your rounds, so watch for/measure your brass at the crimp. An experienced loader for the 500 can probably tell you a good measurement to look for right at the crimp. Hope this helps a bit - Texmex

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's not a good idea to heavily crimp plated bullets, and/or push them very fast (1100 - 1200 FPS is a good limit). Reason being is that the plating is extremely thin, and either a heavy crimp or the high velocity will cause increased leading of the bore. Some people have good results with exceeding limits, but just keep that in mind as you test the load. If you get significant fouling in the bore, it will jack the pressure up quick, and that can be extremely dangerous with a .500 S&W (it's also a leading cause of Glock's going kaboom).

My experience with plated bullets is that they don't like to exceed about 1000 FPS. They'll still shoot and won't lead, but the accuracy sucks. I got 1/3rd the group size pushing them around the 850 - 950 FPS range, and that's going to be hard with a .500 S&W without going to Trailboss or a heavy as hell bullet.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Are you trimming the cases before loading the primer powder and bullet? That's the only way to get consistent crimps.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Another thought. Seating to the same OAL is fine if the ogive of the bullets and nose type match. If the AOL of a JHP is the same as a semi-wadcutter it most likely won't give satisfactory results.

Kyreb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Houston TX
    Mike,
    When I switched to plated bullets in my .40 for IPSC, my accuracy went to pieces. The factory (Berry) advised using the lightest crimp possible to keep from damaging the bullet.
    They also suggested I use a faster burning powder.
    I went to a very light taper crimp and VIT N320 powder. That solved my problems.
    I realize there is a lot of difference between .40 S&W and a .500.....but this was my experience with plated bullets. Rick

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Mike,
    When I switched to plated bullets in my .40 for IPSC, my accuracy went to pieces. The factory (Berry) advised using the lightest crimp possible to keep from damaging the bullet.
    They also suggested I use a faster burning powder.
    I went to a very light taper crimp and VIT N320 powder. That solved my problems.
    I realize there is a lot of difference between .40 S&W and a .500.....but this was my experience with plated bullets. Rick

This post hits the nail on the head. Try AA-9 or Titegroup and see what happens. There's published loads for both. btw - what powders are you using ?

Top Bottom