• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txsyotehntr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    1911 is my personal favorite, but I have a HK and a sig 220st. I suggest you find someone near you and shoot every one you can. Different people like different things in guns like I said I prefer 1911s
    DK Firearms

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I'm going to take the party line and say to go and try what you are looking at to see how it fits your hand, balance, and how you like the overall feel.

Like many others, I'll throw my in. I own two .45 ACP weapons and love both of them.
    My first one was a Kimber 1911, and all I can say with it is, you can't go wrong with a 'good' 1911. I'd make sure though, if your finances allow, that you look at these, but be ready to spend between $800 and 1200 for a new one, depending on what you are looking for.

Also, you might look at the older HK USP. I was an avid 1911 shooter and thought nothing could come close, but then I ended up with an HK USP .45 Expert, and it came too close to call on. The trigger is not quite as crisp as a 1911, but not many are. Once you ease the slack out (standard SA/DA trigger) the break is very close to that of my Kimber.

I'd hate to live on the accuracy difference, but the two are close enough that I know the difference between the two is me.

I suggest either of these two because they give you a good choice in what you might want - the only trade off is capacity. A 1911 will most likely only hold 7 or 8, which should be about 6 more than needed, while my HK holds 12 in the mag and 1 in the pipe for 13 vs 9.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I think he bought the HK45 a couple of weeks ago.

I love my USP's. However, I really messed up last week. I was at the gun shop and they had the HK45. Being a curious animal, I asked the counter guy to hand it over.......big mistake. Boy, it sure did fit my hand. It looks like I may have to figure out a way to get the wifes approval.

Enron Exec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Behind 16 rnds of 9x19mm
    +1

+1 on the above! Some people think that HK's are worth the extra cash, some don't. You will have to decide on that for yourself. I like em but will only buy them if I can find them at a really good price. Shop around you might find one at a really good price.

BTW FWIW I will interject my lowly personal preference for .45's:

1) The venerable 1911! You can pick one depending on your income (from RIA to Kimber to Nighthawk depending on finances) and since EVERY gunsmith in Texas knows these guns you can have it tuned to your preference.

AND

2) The Sig Sauer P220! I prefer the older German made guns, though the P220ST (stainless) is really sweet (I should know, I used to have one but sold it, stupid I know, long story). A very reliable system and accurate to boot. Parts are abundant and is probably the most popular Sig model out there, though I know the P226 and P229 are not far behind.

The above is respectfully submitted and is my own humble opinion.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I personally like the Colt 1911 series and variants. I just picked up a Colt 1911 .45acp from gungenie.com for about $650. Its an excellent pistol IMO. I also have a Glock 23c (.40S&W), but I've always wanted a Colt, but they're hard to find as the Colt factory still has government contracts so there are only so many released to the general public every year. So most people find models like the Kimber 1911 series, etc.

Moezilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2008
    Allen
    While I'm a big HK fan (LOVE my USPc 9), I have to say I'm in love with my XD 45 as well. I thought nothing could come close to the feel of my HK when shooting but the XD is a rock solid performer. I even liked it more than the HK45's that I've tried out.

BluHog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Ellis County
    Well, since I'm just recently a 1st time Colt owner, I didn't think I would have anything to add to this post but as of this morning, I think I do.
    [SNIP]
    Based on Colts parts policy and utter lack of customer service, you can bet this is the last Colt I'll ever buy.

This was very interesting - the first negative I've heard (in my limited experience) on the Defender. I was very interested in this gun but the price was a bit steep and now your experience has helped me feel better about scratching it from my list. Thanks for posting.

kawi jm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    The HK just outperforms the M&P, IMHO. I've shot both and personally prefer the HK. With that said a well tuned 1911 is a very nice weapon. As stated I would try as many different ones as possible and make your own conclussions.

John

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    your plans?

One thing I missed was the planned purpose for the new 45. If for carry I like a commander size 45. For uncomfortable work I like a double stack 45. Of course everything I like is STI but I do own some others. Everything recomended previously looks good and I would trust them all in a working situation.

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    To be honest, I think the HK45 is overpriced.

There, I said it :). But I own one, and the only reason I bought it was because I'm an H&K fanboy, and I wanted an H&K pistol with a standard rail to attach a light.

I would have been fine doing this with a USP in .45, except the rail isn't standard, and then you have to get an adapter and it looks all goofy.

As a bedside table gun I really like my setup, but for general use without the light, I'd save the $250 and get a used USP .45 over a HK45. While it's not entirely true, you are paying that difference mostly for the rail.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Between the two you mention there is no contest...HK. Another option is a Sig P220, either the standard size or compact. Just make sure it is the newer external extractor version.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Another option is a Sig P220, either the standard size or compact. Just make sure it is the newer external extractor version.

Or the older stamped slide model (original model) with the removable breech block. I have one, and it's been ridiculously reliable. The old ones are great guns. It's just some of those crappy new stainless models with the internal extractor that have issues.

Top Bottom