• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Watford City, North Dakota
    I'm looking to spend some of my newly acquired oil field cash to do some things with one of my ak47s. I have a Yugo M70 PAP with the stupid rail on the dust cover and a M70 O-PAP with the side mount. First of all will an optic on the dust cover rail even hold a zero? It doesn't seem like it would because it moves... What I'm trying to do is make a "tactical" 7.62x39 rifle. Red dot scope, fore grip, rails, and what not. I would just buy an AR and do it with that but I've already got a lot of 7.62 ammo. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to one of my AKs or suggestions on another AK I could buy or some other rifle that shoots 7.62x39?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Just to note that Yugo receivers (and therefore, top covers) are shorter than standard AKMs.

Plus, Yugo M70 series top covers have notch for the locking pin on the top cover, the pin keeps it on when they're used as grenade launchers. Not sure if the PAPs have the locking pin, since they don't have the grenade launching capabilities.

APEX has 'em, but they ain't cheap!

Yugoslavian AK47 Top Cover, Smooth

But if you want to mount an optic on top, then this is your better bet...

Texas Weapon Systems, Dog Leg scope rail

I would skip putting rails in place of the handguards, but I am not a fan of "tactical" AKs...

Last edited:

Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I'm debating this at the moment[/FONT]

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=401

IMG_20130104_082048_246_zps4c11faa9.jpg

Last edited:

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    I'm looking to spend some of my newly acquired oil field cash to do some things with one of my ak47s. I have a Yugo M70 PAP with the stupid rail on the dust cover and a M70 O-PAP with the side mount. First of all will an optic on the dust cover rail even hold a zero? It doesn't seem like it would because it moves... What I'm trying to do is make a "tactical" 7.62x39 rifle. Red dot scope, fore grip, rails, and what not. I would just buy an AR and do it with that but I've already got a lot of 7.62 ammo. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to one of my AKs or suggestions on another AK I could buy or some other rifle that shoots 7.62x39?

So this is how those $3,700 AKs on armslist start out, eh?

LOL

844e7ce02c25ef806027e7a6cdf95e6aebd13288b6a837281dd078e1aabd36c4.jpg

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Watford City, North Dakota
    Just to note that Yugo receivers (and therefore, top covers) are shorter than standard AKMs.

Plus, Yugo M70 series top covers have notch for the locking pin on the top cover, the pin keeps it on when they're used as grenade launchers. Not sure if the PAPs have the locking pin, since they don't have the grenade launching capabilities.

APEX has 'em, but they ain't cheap!

Yugoslavian AK47 Top Cover, Smooth

But if you want to mount an optic on top, then this is your better bet...

Texas Weapon Systems, Dog Leg scope rail

I would skip putting rails in place of the handguards, but I am not a fan of "tactical" AKs...

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of them either... I'm just looking for something to deck out in that caliber cause all my rifles are iron sights and stock right now (even my rem 700... need to get a scope still). Anyone have any experience with the sig 556r swat?

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I've heard the side mount is actually the best way to go for scoping an AK. Begin researching rails to put on it; the name escapes me, but I know there's one that, if it fits on your rifle (might be incompatible), it's rock solid and has been suggested by people on more than one forum.

ECS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Victoria TX
    ... Anyone have any experience with the sig 556r swat? ...

For what you're looking to do, I think the 556R SWAT would probably be a good choice.

The rifles built over the last 2 years or so work flawlessly.

If buying used, the obvious way to tell whether you're getting the old rifle or the new is the construction of the stock. The new is one-piece construction, while the old had some sort of adjustable stock on it. Or you could pull the rear take-down pin and look for the steel insert in the top of the mag well. The new has it, while the old doesn't.

I didn't get the SWAT. I wish I had. I like what I have alright, but the SWAT would have been even better.

With the SWAT, you get to choose whatever sights you want. With mine, you have only a couple choices. A couple is enough, I guess, as long as one of the choices suits you.

For what that rifle is "supposed" to be, the stock is actually nice and works well for some. And then there are those of us who don't exactly like it. I think there must be more than a few of us, seeing as how that stock will be available with a cheek-riser in the newest SIG556xi scheme.

If you can find a SIG 556R SWAT right now, I'd say it'll work. If not, you might wait for the SIG556xi Russian.

This one has 40 rounds of TULA and a couple thousand rounds of Golden Tiger through it. It all works flawlessly, as designed.

556RMedium_zps922f0761.gif

Top Bottom