• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RHEAMOND

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    jacksonvill,tx
    What is the best 223 ammo you like and were can I get it .I do not want to order any thing off the internet . Plastic tip or full metal jacket ?Just want the very best ammo for my gun so please help me out.For hunting deer ,hogsand any thing big.

Attachments

• SDC13607.jpg
      SDC13607.jpg
      20.4 KB · Views: 165

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Alright, I've been drinking boxed wine all night so I'm going to try and help.

How old is the rifle? I need to know this to give you a good idea on the ammo suggestion based on the twist rate of the barrel. Is it 1975-89, 1989-94 or 1994-present?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Ok, if it was made in 1976 that means it's 1 in 10" twist. You are going to be looking for something in a 55 grain. I would suggest a decent brand softpoint or a defensve bullet like Hornady TAP. Go to Academy and look for a name brand 55 grain softpoint or defensive bullet. I think Academy sells both. Also, pick up a copper solvent. M-Pro 7 is sold at Academy, works well and is like $6 or $7. First thing I'd do is give the gun a good cleaning and do some copper removal. If you're having issues, I'd imagine your rifle is fouled to hell. Follow the directions on the M-Pro 7. Make sure you're using Ruger factory magazines and double check that your scope is mounted tight. Go out with your ammo and zero it for your ammo at 100 yards. If everything is done like I said, it should shoot good enough to hit the vitals on a deer out to a couple hundred yards. Buy a couple boxes of ammo and stick with the same brand and bullet that you zeroed with.

You are really crippled hunting with a .223. You can take down anything with proper shot placement, but that's going to take knowing where to hit on what you're hunting. Head shots on pigs are your only option. I've heart shot pigs with 77 grain 5.56 and had them run off and not found them for days. Head shots on doe, and lung shots on buck. You're going to lose some buck with 55 grain .223, that's just how it goes with small bullets.

I hope that helps.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've had good success with both deer I shot with Barnes TSX bullets. . . . but your 1/10 twist rate won't stabilize the 70 grainers. Exit wounds on both, one I could fit my thumb and finger and spread them.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hornady TAP or Federal TRU

Ok, if it was made in 1976 that means it's 1 in 10" twist. You are going to be looking for something in a 55 grain. I would suggest a decent brand softpoint or a defensve bullet like Hornady TAP. Go to Academy and look for a name brand 55 grain softpoint or defensive bullet. I think Academy sells both. Also, pick up a copper solvent. M-Pro 7 is sold at Academy, works well and is like $6 or $7. First thing I'd do is give the gun a good cleaning and do some copper removal. If you're having issues, I'd imagine your rifle is fouled to hell. Follow the directions on the M-Pro 7. Make sure you're using Ruger factory magazines and double check that your scope is mounted tight. Go out with your ammo and zero it for your ammo at 100 yards. If everything is done like I said, it should shoot good enough to hit the vitals on a deer out to a couple hundred yards. Buy a couple boxes of ammo and stick with the same brand and bullet that you zeroed with.

You are really crippled hunting with a .223. You can take down anything with proper shot placement, but that's going to take knowing where to hit on what you're hunting. Head shots on pigs are your only option. I've heart shot pigs with 77 grain 5.56 and had them run off and not found them for days. Head shots on doe, and lung shots on buck. You're going to lose some buck with 55 grain .223, that's just how it goes with small bullets.

I hope that helps.

TAP in 55 grain is not a good defensive round and I certainly wouldn't use it on deer. It's a great varmint round, though.

I think that he would be able to stabilize the LE-only 62 grain TAP barrier round in a 1/10, but I'm not entirely sure.

Hornady should not be marketing 55 grain TAP for any tactical use. It fails to meet the FBI standard:

Hornady : Law Enforcement | Products | 223 REM TAP URBAN® - 223 REM 60 gr. TAP URBAN®

In fact, nothing in their "Urban" line in .223 can meet FBI standards. You have to step up to one of the much heavier 5.56mm caliber choices or the 62 grain barrier bullet before I'd feel warm and fuzzy about betting my life on it.

ETA: Just did some research on TRU. I'd use that instead. The 55 grain ammo they're selling is not loaded with varmint bullets. The Barnes Triple X load would make an excellent hunting round with its deep penetration and high weight retention.

Avoid the match bullets they're loading, though. Stuff tends to fragment too hard and not penetrate deep enough.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/223RifleDataBook.pdf

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Save a bunch of money and buy Academy's store brand Monarch 55gr Soft Point at $9.99 + tax.

Shoots dirty, but gets the job done just as good as all the others.

Having said that, I'll never shoot game, other than varmints with a .223.

If you need to defend yourself from two-legged critters with a .223, just double or triple the dosage.

.223 soft points of any flavor will do you well.

At close range, rate of twist is of no concern.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    love the monarch stuff and wolf, i think one of them make a 62 grain bullet, either way ive taken deer and hogs with .223 fairly easily.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Save a bunch of money and buy Academy's store brand Monarch 55gr Soft Point at $9.99 + tax.

Shoots dirty, but gets the job done just as good as all the others.

Having said that, I'll never shoot game, other than varmints with a .223.

If you need to defend yourself from two-legged critters with a .223, just double or triple the dosage.

.223 soft points of any flavor will do you well.

At close range, rate of twist is of no concern.

How many rounds is that for $10/box? Are they steel or brass cases?

Top Bottom