• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dervish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Got my hands on a Lee-Enfield for dirt cheap that I had originally assumed was a No.4 Mk.1, but after asking in a couple of places, I've been told it's a No.1 Mk.6.

Since it helps to get multiple opinions, I figure I might as well ask you guys. Can anyone ID this Enfield variant?

And for anyone that's curious, I intend to restore this poor girl back to her former glory. This polymer stock makes me want to cry.
    1504058625632.jpg
    1504057630693.jpg
    1504058711108.jpg
    1504058951049.jpg
    1504059058043.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Berthier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    It is indeed a No.1MkVI, which was the trials rifle which became the No.4Mk1.... sort of. Your rifle was built by Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerly (ROF Fazakerly) after the evacuation of Dunkirk and were in desperate need of rifles. Enfield sent spare No.1MkVI receivers to ROF Fazakerly to assemble into usable rifles. It has an A suffix denoting that some of the parts aren't interchangeable and letting armorers know not to bother fixing the gun if it came into repair. All No.1MkVI rifles had an A suffix for similar reasons, including the trials rifles which had them added later on when they were desperate for rifles.

The good news only the stock was swapped. I would just suggest you find a good No.4Mk1 stock. It's the same as what your rifle originally had.

And yes, bubba needs his balls kicked in. They always rape the good ones.

Dervish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Dallas, TX

"Barely a thousand No1 Mk 6′s were made and field tested."

"The attrition of war greatly reduced the Mk6′s numbers, there are now just a few in scattered museums. Today a register of civilian ownership numbers barely a dozen."

Jesus...Should I be calling someone?

It is indeed a No.1MkVI, which was the trials rifle which became the No.4Mk1.... sort of. Your rifle was built by Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerly (ROF Fazakerly) after the evacuation of Dunkirk and were in desperate need of rifles. Enfield sent spare No.1MkVI receivers to ROF Fazakerly to assemble into usable rifles. It has an A suffix denoting that some of the parts aren't interchangeable and letting armorers know not to bother fixing the gun if it came into repair. All No.1MkVI rifles had an A suffix for similar reasons, including the trials rifles which had them added later on when they were desperate for rifles.

The good news only the stock was swapped. I would just suggest you find a good No.4Mk1 stock. It's the same as what your rifle originally had.

I'm noticing a few inconsistencies with a proper Mk.6 and my own (square cocking piece, lack of cut-off plate, etc.) You wouldn't happen to know if things such as a No.1 Mk.3 cocking piece (aesthetically accurate) and cut-off plate would fit, would you?
    51608a12x6.jpg

Oh god, and front sight isn't the proper one like the pic below. I'm gonna have to get that fabricated, won't I?
    014.jpg

Berthier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    "Barely a thousand No1 Mk 6′s were made and field tested."

"The attrition of war greatly reduced the Mk6′s numbers, there are now just a few in scattered museums. Today a register of civilian ownership numbers barely a dozen."

Jesus...Should I be calling someone?

I'm noticing a few inconsistencies with a proper Mk.6 and my own (square cocking piece, lack of cut-off plate, etc.) You wouldn't happen to know if things such as a No.1 Mk.3 cocking piece (aesthetically accurate) and cut-off plate would fit, would you? View attachment 43847
    Oh god, and front sight isn't the proper one like the pic below. I'm gonna have to get that fabricated, won't I?
    View attachment 43848

The parts on your rifle is correct, minus the butt ugly plastic stock. Your rifle is basically a No.4Mk1, but with a No.1MkVI receiver. It was just a spare receiver that was made 10 years prior and was only used when they were desperate enough for arms. Apparently they must have had a few thousand laying around assuming your serial number is in order for all of the left over receivers yours would be the 8959th (all Fazakerly made guns started with 2) gun in this series.

There is probably a lot more than just a dozen or so rifles in private ownership. The few dozen in museums and private collections are the actual trial guns left in trial condition. A lot of those were converted to sniper rifles, and many more were scrapped. Your rifle isn't one of the trial guns! Stop thinking huge dollar signs.

Just get a stock set and call it a day. Btw, you need a really, really long and big flat head screwdriver to remove the buttstock and put a new one on. And you would want to put the buttstock on first and tighten it up before the forestock or you can damage the forestock.

Dervish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    There is probably a lot more than just a dozen or so rifles in private ownership. The few dozen in museums and private collections are the actual trial guns left in trial condition. A lot of those were converted to sniper rifles, and many more were scrapped. Your rifle isn't one of the trial guns! Stop thinking huge dollar signs.

Dammit, let me dream!

In all seriousness though. I do appreciate the help. I do plan on finding out if a cut-off plate from an SMLE will fit right in, but aside from that I'll get her looking just like her glory days.

Maybe I'll drill and tap her as well...Maybe. :^)

Berthier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Dammit, let me dream!

In all seriousness though. I do appreciate the help. I do plan on finding out if a cut-off plate from an SMLE will fit right in, but aside from that I'll get her looking just like her glory days.

Maybe I'll drill and tap her as well...Maybe. :^)

It's highly doubtful a magazine cut off from an SMLE will fit. That's also assuming the receiver is drilled to have one attached. Either way, it's not correct for it having one. They were not putting magazine cut offs on rifles in 1940 when this rifle was built, nor did any No.4s have magazine cut offs.

Dervish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    It's highly doubtful a magazine cut off from an SMLE will fit. That's also assuming the receiver is drilled to have one attached. Either way, it's not correct for it having one. They were not putting magazine cut offs on rifles in 1940 when this rifle was built, nor did any No.4s have magazine cut offs.

It's rather late so I'm not gonna disassemble the Enfield for pics, but I can confirm there is a slot in the receiver for the cut-off plate as well as a hole for the screw.

It couldn't hurt to find out. They seem to go for 20 bucks, not the worst gamble I've taken.

Berthier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    It's rather late so I'm not gonna disassemble the Enfield for pics, but I can confirm there is a slot in the receiver for the cut-off plate as well as a hole for the screw.

It couldn't hurt to find out. They seem to go for 20 bucks, not the worst gamble I've taken.

Chances are it won't fit as the No.4 receiver is quite a bit different than the No.1 and it certainly won't fit with a No.4 stock on it. The stock was inletted for the magazine cut off too. I personally do not like incorrect pieces on collectables.

Top Bottom