• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atsme

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Parker County
    so you are living in a subdivision? jut curious but is the offensive firearm enthusiast living in the same subdivision? or is he on a larger piece of land adjacent to the neighborhood? i only ask because i'm sick and tired of listening to yuppies moving "out to the country" and then bitching

Well, I'm not the original poster, but I would like to respond from a different perspective. Have you ever considered the land owners who own 100+ acres, and have lived in the same location with few to no neighbors for over 35 years enjoying a peaceful country life? As a result of the economy, higher tax burdens, and unfair inheritance taxes, many of the old ranches in Parker County are being sold off to residential developments. As a result, thousands of acres of undeveloped pastures and wooded areas are now being populated by city folks who are buying up 5 to 10 acre tracts. Way too many city folks who move to the country think they have special rights to do whatever they please whenever they please regardless of who it endangers, or disturbs. They let their dogs and cats run loose, put their horses in small pens that turn into trashy dirt lots or mud holes that breed mosquitoes, they trespass, poach, play loud thumping music, and shoot guns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all city folks who move to the country behave that way. Unfortunately, all it takes is one bad apple. I have been a responsible gun owner for a long time, have a target practice berm, and I shoot targets from time to time. The closest home to my practice berm is 1/4 mile away. On the other side of the ranch closer to my home, I now have neighbors whose property backs up to my perimeter fence and private road. We ride horses up and down that road, and sudden gunshots from military weapons tend to spook the horses, especially when it's at such close range you can almost feel the compression. The deer, turkey, and quail that used to frequent our pastures no longer come around. Aside from all that, my biggest fear is for my grandchildren who walk up and down our private road alongside that particular neighbors 10 acres. He set up a few hay bales as backing for target practice, and his current line of fire is in the direction of my home, which is less than 600 ft. away. There's another neighbor's home opposite me that's even closer to him. We have tried to be good neighbors, but unfortunately he is one of those irresponsible, dangerous, thoughtless, arrogant, and selfish kind of people who cause ordinances and gun laws to be passed.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, I'm not the original poster, but I would like to respond from a different perspective. Have you ever considered the land owners who own 100+ acres, and have lived in the same location with few to no neighbors for over 35 years enjoying a peaceful country life? As a result of the economy, higher tax burdens, and unfair inheritance taxes, many of the old ranches in Parker County are being sold off to residential developments. As a result, thousands of acres of undeveloped pastures and wooded areas are now being populated by city folks who are buying up 5 to 10 acre tracts. Way too many city folks who move to the country think they have special rights to do whatever they please whenever they please regardless of who it endangers, or disturbs. They let their dogs and cats run loose, put their horses in small pens that turn into trashy dirt lots or mud holes that breed mosquitoes, they trespass, poach, play loud thumping music, and shoot guns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all city folks who move to the country behave that way. Unfortunately, all it takes is one bad apple. I have been a responsible gun owner for a long time, have a target practice berm, and I shoot targets from time to time. The closest home to my practice berm is 1/4 mile away. On the other side of the ranch closer to my home, I now have neighbors whose property backs up to my perimeter fence and private road. We ride horses up and down that road, and sudden gunshots from military weapons tend to spook the horses, especially when it's at such close range you can almost feel the compression. The deer, turkey, and quail that used to frequent our pastures no longer come around. Aside from all that, my biggest fear is for my grandchildren who walk up and down our private road alongside that particular neighbors 10 acres. He set up a few hay bales as backing for target practice, and his current line of fire is in the direction of my home, which is less than 600 ft. away. There's another neighbor's home opposite me that's even closer to him. We have tried to be good neighbors, but unfortunately he is one of those irresponsible, dangerous, thoughtless, arrogant, and selfish kind of people who cause ordinances and gun laws to be passed.

If he is actually shooting towards your house with nothing but hay as a backstop it seems like it would fall under reckless discharge or something. If so the law is already in place for this kind of behavier. However, a broad sweeping ordinance for firearms will not stop muddy horse pins breeding mesquitos. I am not a fan of any law which removes the rights of law abiding, responsible citizens to take care of one or two bad apples. If one of my closer neighbors came to me with a complaint i would make an attempt to work out certain times that may cause problems. IMHO, If you want to live somewhere that doesn't allow shooting everyone has the right to move to a sub division with a HOA that doesn't allow it, just as we have the right to enjoy our sport on the property we work hard to pay for so that we could shoot. I understand the frustration with your neighbor, does not sound like he has thought his plan through very well, if he doesn't see a saftey issue have the local sherrifs department explain it to him.

OldCurlyWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Tulia

Suggestion:

Inform the neighbor that the next time any rounds come in the general direction of your property, rounds will be reciprocated in a more specific direction.

It could settle the problem.

Top Bottom