need help picking out a scope

jray1536

Jan 7, 2013
Watford City, North Dakota
i finally got a computer here in north dakota and i also just picked up a remington 700 sps tactical. now i gotta figure out what scope i want for it.. im looking for something around $500-$1000.. i'll be shooting hogs and coyotes with it around 100 yards but i also want to be able to shoot it out to 600+... what do yall think about brand/magnification/rings/bases... all that good stuff

Reelthrill

Aug 28, 2013
Round Rock
I am a fan of Burris Scopes. Everybody has what they like. My 2 biggest decision criteria in scope selection is: 1) Clear Glass (I can't stress that importance enough) 2) Ballistic Plex (to help me quickly adjust for ranged shots if needed). Look at their Fullfield E1 line.

If you want to drool, look at the new new Burris III Eliminator scopes.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
At the upper end of your range, you can put yourself into some nice glass from Leupold, Zeiss, Trijicon, Bushnell, etc. Do some window shopping at Optics Planet and SWFA. As for magnification, for me personally, 10x is good to 300 yards max, so I would consider at least doubling that for 600+ yard shots. Rings and bases - Badger Ordnance, and you might consider a 20moa base.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
Mar 8, 2010
McKinney, TX
Seekins and Badger are both good for rings and base. Vortex is pretty darn good and will keep you in your budget, SWFA SS scopes are also very good. If you look at major online retailers most offer 5-10% off coupon codes online so you can save some money.

grumper

TGT Addict
Jul 5, 2012
Austin
The last number is the diameter of the objective lens. The one in the front towards the muzzle.

Generally the bigger the number the better it is in low light conditions and the taller mount/rings you will need.

You might have problems finding rings that are tall enough at ~56mm. In hindsight I probably should have gotten a scope with a 50mm objective, instead of 56mm. I can't even put the lens covers on my Nightforce, it has like half a millimeter of clearance between that huge objective bell and the rail on my AR-10.

Shouldn't be a problem on a bolt gun, since the barrel dips a little ahead of the action but on a gun with 1 long continuous rail along the top it is an issue.

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
Lifetime Member
Feb 7, 2009
Houston, TX
I am running several primary Arms 4-14 FFP mil dot scopes.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm

the turrets are big and have descent clicks. The adjustments are mil.

the reticle is mil dot.

The glass isn't bad.

It's a great budget optic. I run one on my pof 415, another on my 700 SpŠ in 300Blk and I have another that is about to find a home.

my high end scopes are vortex razor HDs.

Top Bottom