• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Watford City, North Dakota
    i finally got a computer here in north dakota and i also just picked up a remington 700 sps tactical. now i gotta figure out what scope i want for it.. im looking for something around $500-$1000.. i'll be shooting hogs and coyotes with it around 100 yards but i also want to be able to shoot it out to 600+... what do yall think about brand/magnification/rings/bases... all that good stuff
    Target Sports

Reelthrill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    I am a fan of Burris Scopes. Everybody has what they like. My 2 biggest decision criteria in scope selection is: 1) Clear Glass (I can't stress that importance enough) 2) Ballistic Plex (to help me quickly adjust for ranged shots if needed). Look at their Fullfield E1 line.

If you want to drool, look at the new new Burris III Eliminator scopes.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    At the upper end of your range, you can put yourself into some nice glass from Leupold, Zeiss, Trijicon, Bushnell, etc. Do some window shopping at Optics Planet and SWFA. As for magnification, for me personally, 10x is good to 300 yards max, so I would consider at least doubling that for 600+ yard shots. Rings and bases - Badger Ordnance, and you might consider a 20moa base.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Seekins and Badger are both good for rings and base. Vortex is pretty darn good and will keep you in your budget, SWFA SS scopes are also very good. If you look at major online retailers most offer 5-10% off coupon codes online so you can save some money.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    The last number is the diameter of the objective lens. The one in the front towards the muzzle.

Generally the bigger the number the better it is in low light conditions and the taller mount/rings you will need.

You might have problems finding rings that are tall enough at ~56mm. In hindsight I probably should have gotten a scope with a 50mm objective, instead of 56mm. I can't even put the lens covers on my Nightforce, it has like half a millimeter of clearance between that huge objective bell and the rail on my AR-10.

Shouldn't be a problem on a bolt gun, since the barrel dips a little ahead of the action but on a gun with 1 long continuous rail along the top it is an issue.

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I am running several primary Arms 4-14 FFP mil dot scopes.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm

the turrets are big and have descent clicks. The adjustments are mil.

the reticle is mil dot.

The glass isn't bad.

It's a great budget optic. I run one on my pof 415, another on my 700 SpŠ in 300Blk and I have another that is about to find a home.

my high end scopes are vortex razor HDs.

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    I am running several primary Arms 4-14 FFP mil dot scopes.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm

the turrets are big and have descent clicks. The adjustments are mil.

the reticle is mil dot.

The glass isn't bad.

It's a great budget optic. I run one on my pof 415, another on my 700 SpŠ in 300Blk and I have another that is about to find a home.

my high end scopes are vortex razor HDs.

I think I'm wanting something with a little more power than that.. do you think a 4-14 would work out to 600ish yards? what power do you think is best for shooting between 100-600 yds? I am looking for a mil-dot. I've never heard of primary arms scopes though.. and what do you mean the adjustments are mil? thanks for the suggestion/info, i'll definitely be looking into it.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Excellent sticky from Sniper's Hide.

My own recommendation based on OP's stated intended use is a Vortex Viper PST in either 4x16 or 6x24. I used a PST 4x16 (since sold as I got out of LR shooting) but if I were doing it again I would buy the 6x24 as the difference between the bottom ends of both is not that great and my tired old eyes could have used the extra magnification on the top end.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I am a fan of the Nikon Monarch scopes. They have several configurations. Great customer service too, but you likely won't need it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I gave a Leupold MK4 lr/t in that power to my dad when I got my Nightforce. It is a really good scope but Imo not worth the sticker price. If you are wanting to shoot any kind of range make sure you get a scope that the adjustments match the reticle it makes things so much easier.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    +1 on the adjustments being in milliradians if you have a mildot reticle.

So much easier to make adjustments if you see your shots are 1.5 mildots off target and each turret click is .1 mil then just give it 15 clicks in the right direction.

None of that complicated I'm at 500 yards so 1 MOA is 5 inches, my shots appear to be somewhere around 13 inches off so I gotta divide 13/5 to get 2.6. Each click is 1/4 MOA so I think I need 9 clicks math. (Oops I made a booboo)

Last edited:

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I'm a fan of IOR...great glass, less money. The 2.5-10 (first focal) is a nice piece of glass that has worked for me out to a thousand yards on my 700 PSS. Running a 4.5-28 on my 98B/338 for long range work, and 1.5-8 on an assortment of AR15 and AR308 for close stuff. Worth looking at.

I've had most everything, spent many a SHOT show looking at everydamnthing, looked through and messed with a lot of guns at various matches over the years, and have settled on those. Your mileage may vary :)

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    looking at the vortex viper pst 4-16x50... might be a dumb question, but what the hell does the turret in the back do? also, which reticle would you recommend and why? the moa or mrad? is one easier to judge distance/adjust with than the other? thanks again for the help.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The turret in the rear is for illumination. As far as reticle goes either are just as capable as the other for judgment of distance or adjustments provided the turret adjustments match the reticle.

Top Bottom