need help preparing my truck for North Dakota

Discussion in 'Automotive / Motorcycle Chat' started by jray1536, Oct 30, 2013.

1. jray1536

jray1536 Member

I got a job in the oil fields in North Dakota. I'm heading up there next week but i still need to get my truck ready. What do I need to do/have done to my truck or what do I need to get to make sure my truck will start in those cold temperatures? I've lived in Texas my whole life and have never had to experience really cold winters, so any suggestions will help. Thanks.

2. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Change/get and extra heavy duty battery if you current one is more that 2 years old. Other than that, change to oil to something like a 20/5 or 30/5. Good aggressive tires, but if you're current tires are less than 1/2 life, them maybe wait and buy a set in ND, as they will drive you nuts on the drive up. A cooling system flush wouldn't hurt either. Other than that, make sure transmission and differential are not leaking and in good shape.

Put together a little emergency bag. Gloves, slip on boots, flash light, small tool kit etc (you can figure out things to include) and keep that in the truck at all times.

3. PhulesAu

PhulesAu Well-Known

Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Block heater!! I prefer the oil pan type. You didn't mention truck age but, you might consider Synthetic oils and lubes. Also Graphite for door locks. Also new hoses and belts, that rubber gets hard and older stuff could fail on Ya.
  4. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    Ice scraper / snow removal bush

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  5. no2gates

no2gates Well-Known

Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Keep a bag of kitty litter to give you traction in case you encounter ice.
  6. IXLR8

IXLR8 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Get some mittens and a hat. The crappiest pair of mittens is warmer than the warmest pair of gloves you can buy. +1 keep some supplies i the truck.
  7. robertc1024

robertc1024 Not That Guy TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Depending on where you're driving, you might consider stashing a sleeping bag in your truck. People in MN do it all the time 'cause if your truck breaks down in the middle of nowhere in the winter, you are in survival mode.
  8. no2gates

no2gates Well-Known

Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Some energy bars, a few bottles of water, blanket, hand warmer packets (about a buck each at Wally world), a multi-purpose knife, heavy rope.
    Make sure the flashlight is LED. The batteries last MUCH longer in them.
  9. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Drain your wiper fluid and switch to an antifreeze type fluid. Get some good stuff. I have seen blue jugs rates for 0º freeze solid at 20º.You don't want that stuff to freeze up in your lines or on the window. New wiper blades are a good idea.

Also plan your clothing in layers, not one super heavy layer. Think about the medium weather days where heavy clothes are too much and light clothes are not enough. You don't want to sweat while it is freezing out.
  10. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I grew up in the North and traveled extensively in the northern states. It gets 30 below zero there!. The parking meters have 120 volt plugs on them so when folks come to town, they plug the block and battery heaters in while they're in town. Oil viscosity is very important as is a proper mix of new antifreeze and windshield washer solvent.

Batteries......don't risk anything less than a new battery. Diesels have parafin in the fuel which solidifies to block fuel flow at low temperature. If your starter is tired, replace it just for insurance.

Protect your head and especially your face. Much of your heat is lost there. In Montana and Wyoming and to a lesser extent, ND and SD, they actually have gates to close the highways and snow fences are routine. Snow fences keep blowing snow from covering the road. When they close a road, they actually lock it up!

In the North, snow tires and chains are sometimes required or you aren't allowed out. They have dates that snow tires can be installed and when they must be removed.....especially studded snow tires.

Get a properly fit set of chains and learn how to install them. Have tow ropes and shovels, food and warm gear to carry at all times in an emergency. Never leave without your emergency gear.

Don't screw around in that climate. Texans don't have a clue about the kind of winters they have. They pour water from a cup and it freezes before it hits the ground.