• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    haha yeah, I'm taking a trip to half price books this weekend to stock up on books... any suggestions?

Nah. I read westerns.
    If you find it, however, "The Californios" by Louis L'Amour is a favorite of mine.
    Lynx Defense

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    All good information...Expect to be snowed in at least 2-3 times during the winter for 2-3 days at a time....so keep the fridge and pantry stocked.....

The best winter foot wear is a must....I preferred good old USAF mukluks..

+ 1 million on a set of good chains.......

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    -25 washer fluid
    Mobil One synthetic motor oil
    check the coolant for freeze protection level, if in doubt do a drain and refill with fresh
    check belts and hoses and your battery.

also, you're a hell of a guy for going up there. I hope nothing but the best for you and hope you get back to Texas every chance you get.

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Watford City, North Dakota
    LOL lots of good ideas given. My 2 cents ( oh and I lived in a little place call Inuvik from Nov 79 to April 83 ). In line heater for truck, Battery blanket for battery. Interior heater for inside of cab. All 3 get plugged in when you walk away from the truck at the end of a day if the temps are going below freezing or if there is strong winds. Battery blanket protects battery, in line heater protects block and interior heater prevents breaking of plastic parts when you get into the vehicle in the morning. It also helps to keep the windshield clear. Good quality ice scraper ( long handle ). Change out wiper fluid to low temp stuff. Oil change per others suggestions. You may also want a stock tank type magnetic heater if you are parking in an area that is open, put it onto the oil pan when needed.
    Stuff to keep in truck, Candle ( find one that is in a tin ) matches ( wooden ) Space blanket couple energy bars, book you want to read, hard candy, metal cup ( one you can heat up snow in ) If you can find one, a survival stove ( they are about the size of a couple I phones stacked and have solid fuel ). This should all fit into a zip lock bag you can stash under the seat.
    Good quality sleeping bag, spare socks, wool cap, warm sweater, gloves/mittens, over sized pants and jacket ( think army surplus you can put them on over top of what you are wearing if you are not appropriately dressed for the elements ). Put these in a duffel bag along with some plastic garbage bags and a few zip lock bags containing extra matches, energy bars can of beans or stuff you can eat cold and keep in the truck. Add a small tent if you have room.

Survival tips, melt snow, do not eat it. If you light the candle in the truck open 2 windows, one on each side so that the co2 has a place to go and fresh air can come in. If you are going to sleep in or beside the truck, strip down, prevents sweat from soaking into your clothing and the danger of wet clothing. Read any Military manuals on winter survival you can get. Metal gets cold fast, so it is usually best not to sleep in the vehicle or keep it running for long times without doing a tail pipe check ( snow can get pushed up against it, winds can hold the co2 under the vehicle and before you know it you are dead ) It also uses fuel which you may need once you are unstuck...

Remember, just because your truck and you are stranded somewhere does not mean you are in any danger. Poor planning, preparation and lack of skill/knowledge however does. If you are going on a trip, let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back.

I once spent 24 hours waiting for a vehicle to come along and pull me out of a snowdrift. Was enjoyable as it was during the dark season and the northern lights were a fantastic show. I set up a tent beside the truck ( on the side I did not expect any traffic as the temps were -40 ) placed a pan of oil and gas under the block and lit it every 4 or so hours ( to keep the oil flowing ) Settled in and was rewarded with a road service vehicle arriving to find me happy healthy and able to get about my way once he pulled me out.

Good luck on the new job and enjoy the new seasons you will face

What type of in-line heater? Is there anywhere in Texas to get these? and is it something I will be able to easily install myself? also, what type of interior heater are you talking about? Thanks for the help.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If you have any chips or cracks in your windshield, see about repairing or replacing it.
    The temp swings will surely magnify any flaws.

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    well I've been calling around auto shops up north and they're all recommending an engine block heater so I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do.. now I just have to figure out somewhere that can get it installed for me down here by tuesday. So as of now I'm going to have: Engine block heater, battery blanket, tire chains, tow strap and come along, fluids changed, new battery+an extra battery, kitty litter, sandbags or something in the back of my truck for weight, emergency kit (candle, matches, flashlights, powerbars), jumper cables, heavy duty sleeping bag and extra clothes, knife and other regular survival things... and I think that's about it... Thanks for all the help and let me know if there are other things I should add. I head out wednesday for the two day trek, start work the following monday. Hopefully I'll have some sort of internet connection up there but if not thanks for all the help and I'll see y'all and Texas again in a year

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You heading to Minot?

I've been up there three times in the past year, luckily not during the dead of winter but I still check the weather on occassion. Today it was 40 degrees colder than San Antonio.

Have fun, I hope it's worth it!

Cheers! M2

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    You heading to Minot?

I've been up there three times in the past year, luckily not during the dead of winter but I still check the weather on occassion. Today it was 40 degrees colder than San Antonio.

Have fun, I hope it's worth it!

Cheers! M2

I'll be in Watford City, close to Montana.. I hope it's worth it too, I plan on being there a year doing all the shit-work and moving up then finding a place back here in Texas with the same company... I guess worst case scenario I'll have a little bit of money and experience.. if I don't freeze to death.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    well I've been calling around auto shops up north and they're all recommending an engine block heater so I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do.. now I just have to figure out somewhere that can get it installed for me down here by tuesday. So as of now I'm going to have: Engine block heater, battery blanket, tire chains, tow strap and come along, fluids changed, new battery+an extra battery, kitty litter, sandbags or something in the back of my truck for weight, emergency kit (candle, matches, flashlights, powerbars), jumper cables, heavy duty sleeping bag and extra clothes, knife and other regular survival things... and I think that's about it... Thanks for all the help and let me know if there are other things I should add. I head out wednesday for the two day trek, start work the following monday. Hopefully I'll have some sort of internet connection up there but if not thanks for all the help and I'll see y'all and Texas again in a year

Best of luck to you. Hopefully you'll never need to use any of the emergency supplies.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'll be in Watford City, close to Montana.. I hope it's worth it too, I plan on being there a year doing all the shit-work and moving up then finding a place back here in Texas with the same company... I guess worst case scenario I'll have a little bit of money and experience.. if I don't freeze to death.

Godspeed to you, my friend! I've had enough of the frozen north, but I've experienced a heckuva lot of it! Enjoy the adventure and be sure to keep warm!

Cheers! M2

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    In line heaters are heaters that you put, in line between the block and radiator. You cut the lower radiator hose and it fits inside the hose. I did a google search " automotive in line heater" and amongst the junk that popped up was Kat's website. They have the heater, battery blanket, magnetic heater and a bunch of other stuff.

Regardless of the oil, put in a heater. The ones that replace a frost plug ( block heater ) are mechanic install only. The in line, DIY, Battery blanket, DIY. The in cab heater, also DIY the last one I had was a box about the size of a small toaster and It sat on the passenger seat floor, cord ran out through the bottom of the door and was plugged into a normal wall outlet. Not as needed as the others unless you have vinyl seats ( then they will save your ass from plastic splinters ) however it will take a bit of time to warm up the interior of the vehicle before driving is comfortable. The magnetic one, place it on the side of the oil pan ( not bottom ) and zip tie the cord up towards the front of the truck. Each of these things have a cord so you need to kinda pre-plan the install to get them all out the front of the truck in about the same place. Also it is a good idea to have a short extension cord ( heavy duty ) in case you park too far away from the outlet...usually due to snow buildup.

When you drive, please take the time to get all windows clear, not just the small space above the steering wheel. You will be amazed at what you will be able to see and avoid on the roads.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    In line heaters are heaters that you put, in line between the block and radiator. You cut the lower radiator hose and it fits inside the hose. I did a google search " automotive in line heater" and amongst the junk that popped up was Kat's website. They have the heater, battery blanket, magnetic heater and a bunch of other stuff.

Regardless of the oil, put in a heater. The ones that replace a frost plug ( block heater ) are mechanic install only. The in line, DIY, Battery blanket, DIY. The in cab heater, also DIY the last one I had was a box about the size of a small toaster and It sat on the passenger seat floor, cord ran out through the bottom of the door and was plugged into a normal wall outlet. Not as needed as the others unless you have vinyl seats ( then they will save your ass from plastic splinters ) however it will take a bit of time to warm up the interior of the vehicle before driving is comfortable. The magnetic one, place it on the side of the oil pan ( not bottom ) and zip tie the cord up towards the front of the truck. Each of these things have a cord so you need to kinda pre-plan the install to get them all out the front of the truck in about the same place. Also it is a good idea to have a short extension cord ( heavy duty ) in case you park too far away from the outlet...usually due to snow buildup.

When you drive, please take the time to get all windows clear, not just the small space above the steering wheel. You will be amazed at what you will be able to see and avoid on the roads.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I've been talking with an auto shop in South Dakota about getting the block heater put in on my way up. I'm planning on doing that and getting the battery blanket; from what people are telling me I think this should be enough.

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Now I just have to decide what gun(s) I'm going to bring. I'm leaving most of them with my dad, leaving the Mrs. her little 38 revolver and my shotgun, and I'm taking my S&W m&p but I can't decide if I want to take one of my AK's or not. You never know when you may need an AK....

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Few folks offering some good advice take heed. That said failure is generally a lack of preparation. Ranking at the top of the list of getting you and truck out of a bind is a set of tires. I strongly recommend Goodyear MTR or BFG KM2. I have run both and have many years exp with them in extreme off road conditions in the US. Go to Discount Tire for your best deal.

Number 2 on my list is a winch this goes in spades if you will be alone. Your best scenario is to never need to use all the survival you should carry.and that means getting back on your own. You can get a decent winch for under $350. I have run a winch on the front of my rigs for over 15 years. I currently run a Warn 12k Powerplant which has a integrated air compressor which can be worth it's weight in gold if you are out there and need it...

i have been been off roading since the early 60's in all kinds of conditions from Alaska to Mexico. GO prepared! Every time you go your number one goal is to get you and your rig back so you can go do it again the next day...

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    A few additions and (what is the truck you are driving?)

Keep a good shovel in the bed
    Change to winter wiper blades
    Silicone the window felts and spray the gears and linkage

Always keep a fresh stash in the emergency bag

CAADV00018_lg.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom