• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Watford City, North Dakota
    I got a job in the oil fields in North Dakota. I'm heading up there next week but i still need to get my truck ready. What do I need to do/have done to my truck or what do I need to get to make sure my truck will start in those cold temperatures? I've lived in Texas my whole life and have never had to experience really cold winters, so any suggestions will help. Thanks.
    Target Sports

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Change/get and extra heavy duty battery if you current one is more that 2 years old. Other than that, change to oil to something like a 20/5 or 30/5. Good aggressive tires, but if you're current tires are less than 1/2 life, them maybe wait and buy a set in ND, as they will drive you nuts on the drive up. A cooling system flush wouldn't hurt either. Other than that, make sure transmission and differential are not leaking and in good shape.

Put together a little emergency bag. Gloves, slip on boots, flash light, small tool kit etc (you can figure out things to include) and keep that in the truck at all times.

Enjoy

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Block heater!! I prefer the oil pan type. You didn't mention truck age but, you might consider Synthetic oils and lubes. Also Graphite for door locks. Also new hoses and belts, that rubber gets hard and older stuff could fail on Ya.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Get some mittens and a hat. The crappiest pair of mittens is warmer than the warmest pair of gloves you can buy. +1 keep some supplies i the truck.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Depending on where you're driving, you might consider stashing a sleeping bag in your truck. People in MN do it all the time 'cause if your truck breaks down in the middle of nowhere in the winter, you are in survival mode.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Some energy bars, a few bottles of water, blanket, hand warmer packets (about a buck each at Wally world), a multi-purpose knife, heavy rope.
    Make sure the flashlight is LED. The batteries last MUCH longer in them.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Drain your wiper fluid and switch to an antifreeze type fluid. Get some good stuff. I have seen blue jugs rates for 0º freeze solid at 20º.You don't want that stuff to freeze up in your lines or on the window. New wiper blades are a good idea.

Also plan your clothing in layers, not one super heavy layer. Think about the medium weather days where heavy clothes are too much and light clothes are not enough. You don't want to sweat while it is freezing out.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I grew up in the North and traveled extensively in the northern states. It gets 30 below zero there!. The parking meters have 120 volt plugs on them so when folks come to town, they plug the block and battery heaters in while they're in town. Oil viscosity is very important as is a proper mix of new antifreeze and windshield washer solvent.

Batteries......don't risk anything less than a new battery. Diesels have parafin in the fuel which solidifies to block fuel flow at low temperature. If your starter is tired, replace it just for insurance.

Protect your head and especially your face. Much of your heat is lost there. In Montana and Wyoming and to a lesser extent, ND and SD, they actually have gates to close the highways and snow fences are routine. Snow fences keep blowing snow from covering the road. When they close a road, they actually lock it up!

In the North, snow tires and chains are sometimes required or you aren't allowed out. They have dates that snow tires can be installed and when they must be removed.....especially studded snow tires.

Get a properly fit set of chains and learn how to install them. Have tow ropes and shovels, food and warm gear to carry at all times in an emergency. Never leave without your emergency gear.

Don't screw around in that climate. Texans don't have a clue about the kind of winters they have. They pour water from a cup and it freezes before it hits the ground.

Flash

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Monitor your tire pressures.
    You'll lose pressure in that cold.
    Don't pump them up too high though, better traction on snow and ice at 30 than at 35psi.
    Adjust after arriving.
    Watch for pheasants.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    LOL lots of good ideas given. My 2 cents ( oh and I lived in a little place call Inuvik from Nov 79 to April 83 ). In line heater for truck, Battery blanket for battery. Interior heater for inside of cab. All 3 get plugged in when you walk away from the truck at the end of a day if the temps are going below freezing or if there is strong winds. Battery blanket protects battery, in line heater protects block and interior heater prevents breaking of plastic parts when you get into the vehicle in the morning. It also helps to keep the windshield clear. Good quality ice scraper ( long handle ). Change out wiper fluid to low temp stuff. Oil change per others suggestions. You may also want a stock tank type magnetic heater if you are parking in an area that is open, put it onto the oil pan when needed.
    Stuff to keep in truck, Candle ( find one that is in a tin ) matches ( wooden ) Space blanket couple energy bars, book you want to read, hard candy, metal cup ( one you can heat up snow in ) If you can find one, a survival stove ( they are about the size of a couple I phones stacked and have solid fuel ). This should all fit into a zip lock bag you can stash under the seat.
    Good quality sleeping bag, spare socks, wool cap, warm sweater, gloves/mittens, over sized pants and jacket ( think army surplus you can put them on over top of what you are wearing if you are not appropriately dressed for the elements ). Put these in a duffel bag along with some plastic garbage bags and a few zip lock bags containing extra matches, energy bars can of beans or stuff you can eat cold and keep in the truck. Add a small tent if you have room.

Survival tips, melt snow, do not eat it. If you light the candle in the truck open 2 windows, one on each side so that the co2 has a place to go and fresh air can come in. If you are going to sleep in or beside the truck, strip down, prevents sweat from soaking into your clothing and the danger of wet clothing. Read any Military manuals on winter survival you can get. Metal gets cold fast, so it is usually best not to sleep in the vehicle or keep it running for long times without doing a tail pipe check ( snow can get pushed up against it, winds can hold the co2 under the vehicle and before you know it you are dead ) It also uses fuel which you may need once you are unstuck...

Remember, just because your truck and you are stranded somewhere does not mean you are in any danger. Poor planning, preparation and lack of skill/knowledge however does. If you are going on a trip, let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back.

I once spent 24 hours waiting for a vehicle to come along and pull me out of a snowdrift. Was enjoyable as it was during the dark season and the northern lights were a fantastic show. I set up a tent beside the truck ( on the side I did not expect any traffic as the temps were -40 ) placed a pan of oil and gas under the block and lit it every 4 or so hours ( to keep the oil flowing ) Settled in and was rewarded with a road service vehicle arriving to find me happy healthy and able to get about my way once he pulled me out.

Good luck on the new job and enjoy the new seasons you will face

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I got a question. Where the hell are you going to stay. Housing is slim to none up there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    I got a question. Where the hell are you going to stay. Housing is slim to none up there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I've got a place lined up at an RV park a couple miles from the place I'm working... I don't know if they have some sort of deal with the company I'm going to work for or what but it was alot easier than I expected to get a place.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've got a place lined up at an RV park a couple miles from the place I'm working... I don't know if they have some sort of deal with the company I'm going to work for or what but it was alot easier than I expected to get a place.

You got any experience with rv living?
    Holler if ya got questions there.
    You towing?

jray1536

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    You got any experience with rv living?
    Holler if ya got questions there.
    You towing?

I've got zero experience. I'm not towing, I'm renting one from the place. They've got a bunch of 26' RVs there that are "Double-insulated with the Arctic Package heavy duty furnace," and "Engineered specifically for the North Dakota winter, RVs from North Dakota Housing are double insulated and have 30,000 BTU furnaces with in-floor heat and central air-conditioning. All RV rentals are skirted and include double insulation to ensure water lines keep flowing, even in the worst of conditions," according to the website... I assume since they're made for up there they should be pretty well outfitted for the weather. Anything in particular I should know?

Last edited:

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've got zero experience. I'm not towing, I'm renting one from the place. They've got a bunch of 26' RVs there that are "Double-insulated with the Arctic Package heavy duty furnace," according to the website... I assume since they're made for up there they should be pretty well outfitted for the weather. Anything in particular I should know?

Nothing you don't already know. If they set them up, they're responsible for function.
    Question the park owners on battery maintenance, or backup power.
    RV heater fans run on 12 volt batteries, constantly charged by a converter when AC power is on.
    In a power outage, a good battery will last 1 night, maybe.
    A weak battery will have you and the water frozen by morning.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom