• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red1027

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    RGV
    Need you alls help....I can not seem to be able to sight in my Aimpoint M3 2 MOA.

Please look at the pictures below and tell me what I need to do. The reactive target was my last 2 groups at 25 yards as I ran out of daylight. As for ammunition, I am using my own reload. I do not have the specs on it but I will get them as soon as I get a chance.

I am shooting off a bench and aiming dead center.

20130221_194150.jpg

Using a different target.
    20130221_194210.jpg

If you all have some easier tips and tricks please feel free to share them.

These are the instructions from the user's guide.

To move the point of impact to the right, turn windage adjustment
    screw counter clockwise (clockwise if screw located on left side).
    • To move the point of impact to the left, turn windage adjustment
    screw clockwise (counter clockwise if screw located on left side).
    • To move the point of impact up, turn elevation adjustment screw
    counter clockwise.
    • To move the point of impact down, turn elevation adjustment screw
    clockwise.
    Hurley's Gold

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Turn the sight off, zero your irons. Turn the sight on, look through the irons and adjust the dot so that it's sitting on the tip of your front sight when you have a proper picture through your irons. Then confirm the zero.

That's the best way I've found to zero one.

I believe four clicks will be a half inch at 25 yards. There should be "U/L" and "D/R" (or similar) markings with an arrow to show you which way us up (if the turret is on top) or left (if the turret is on the side). Again, up and left are an example.

Where is RGV? If you're anywhere near San Antonio, wouldn't mind helping you out.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The targets need more description. Where is it hitting right now when you aim dead center? Is it keeping a tight group?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The first target has a group on it. Unless I'm missing something, the second target has shots all over it, with no consistent pattern. So I'm not sure what's going on there. I would recommend only making one adjustment at a time. What I mean by that is, if you're on paper, adjust your windage first and once you get it centered, then adjust elevation. If you're making adjustments to each simultaneously, it will confuse things and you may lose track of what's going on. If you are only making one type of adjustment at a time, you can at least see the changes that adjustment makes, and then readjust accordingly if necessary.

If possible, benchrest the gun with the stock supported, and try to remove as much of the human from the equation as possible. One easy way to do it is to get in position, get your cheek weld, fire your shot, and if you can see the bullet hole without breaking your cheek weld (considering this is at 25yds) then make an adjustment while maintaining cheek weld and looking through the optic. If you do this, you will see the dot (or reticle if it were a scope) moving accordingly. If you have memorized which direction of turn on the dials moves the dot which way, you can very quickly do this, maintain cheek weld, make some quick adjustments, while watching the dot move over very close to where you want it. This is a good way to get it very close, provided it's a good quality optic (which Aimpoint's are) that adjusts consistently and will maintain zero consistently. This is much harder to do with an un-magnified optic, but at 25yds you should be able to just make out the shots on a clean target.

red1027

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    RGV
    The target is a regular 8" target.

The second target was when I first started. The first (reactive) target was my last few shots and that is when I ran out of daylight.

I have a 3x Aimpoint magnifier behind the Aimpoint, can I use it or will it affect how I zero it in?

Sig..I was making multiple adjustments which is why I think I got confused. Thanks for point that out.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Uh, up would be elevation, not windage.

Lol. Yeah I know. I edited it and didn't think. I was looking at the bottom group. Optics are simple to zero if not broken. I believe newbs overthink it. The think maybe the adjustments are talking about retical not point of impact and get overwhelmed trying to execute this complicated formula at the range. Sorry for the grammer I am typing on my phone and high as ****. Lol jk

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Did you bore sight the optic before you went to the range?

Your rifle obviously shoots tight groups, so the problem is not the gun but the sight.

The first thing I would do is to dismount the sight, sight mounts, and start from scratch. Most Picatinny rails and sight mounts tend to line up perfectly. Sometimes, they get misaligned while tightening up the fasteners, and it will not be obvious to you.

If, after remounting the mounts and optic, if your sight does not achieve bore sight, then you have to consider more radical solutions, such as inserting shims between the scope and the mount.

Sadly, I have never seen scope shims for sale, anywhere. That could be a gunsmith's trick into charging you more for mounting a scope.

Any time my scope, mount, and rifle did not line up, I always sent the scope back for repair or replacement.

red1027

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    RGV
    I have a boresighter but its one of those universal boresighter and it isn't a good fit so haven't tried that. I will be to the range on Monday and try some of you alls comments.

At least I know I have a tight shooting ar15 ( which I assembled myself) and a good round load for 25 yard shooting

thanks guys I will keep you posted

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    You don't need to worry about using a boresight gizmo if you follow M. Sage's advice. Your irons should be zeroed before your RDS anyway.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The target is a regular 8" target.

The second target was when I first started. The first (reactive) target was my last few shots and that is when I ran out of daylight.

I have a 3x Aimpoint magnifier behind the Aimpoint, can I use it or will it affect how I zero it in?

Sig..I was making multiple adjustments which is why I think I got confused. Thanks for point that out.

It won't affect zero, but take that crap off for 25 yards. Too much magnification can make you chase little stuff to hard and end up with a worse group.

red1027

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    RGV
    Well I feel like a total dumbass, turns out the aimpoint was canted so rather than having a vertical horizontal movement I was getting a diagonal moment. Noticed that when I dismounted it to start from scratch as shortround suggested. Tomorrow should go smoother.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    What I do to sight in a scope\reddot.

Off the bench and sand bagged in or on a rifle rest, with a bore sighted gun. Shoot sight dead center 2x.

You're impacts will be off dead center unless you're lucky.

Safety the rifle.

Sight back on dead center again and hold the rifle still as possible.

Adjust sight from dead center to impact\ bullet holes. Very important to keep rifle steady. (helps to have one person looking and the other one turning)

Repeat as needed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom