• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It was made in 1928. Need ammo suggestions.

Barrel stamp says to use "Lesmoke" or "smokeless greased" ammo.

It was a hunk of junk that I de-rusted and cleaned up. Bore looks good.

I would like to hear from anyone with experience with this particular model.

51084c3440858421a300564c8c1722fe.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Got any idea of caliber? That would help. "Smokeless" ammo/powder is the type of ammo/powder used in contemporary firearms so at least it has that going.

Oops, just say the second pic. I started my post before it had loaded so I didn't see it. Twenty-two rimfire. Should be good to go if the bore is clean.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    My grandfather had one and it had been pasted to me. Later stolen by a family member.

The only hickup is that the bolt might short stroke if it gets grungy. I believe I was warned it would fire half way out of battery. Shorts contribute to this. Long rifle not so much.

Browning currently makes this design. It's a fine 22 and the bottom ejection is nice. Light and fast to swing with a good balance.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    No experience with this rifle in particular or even a rifle this old, but I would start with some standard velocity ammo like CCI-SV, SK Magazine/Standard Plus, Norma TAC-22, GECO bolt rifle, Aguila SuperExtra Standard Velocity, or Eley Target (yellow box).

All of those have a lube on them, either a type of slimy goo or a dry wax.

If things seem to run well you might try some high velocity rounds but they usually aren't lubed like the standard velocity rounds.

I would bet Moonpie might have some good info for you concerning this kind of old firearm.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Marvelous little rifle.

Uncle had one growing that my dad and I loved to shoot.
    So much that my dad bought a Belgian Browning takedown that I still have after tens of thousands of rounds.

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/101293091748/inventors-and-their-guns-john-brownings

Still made for Browning by Miroku Japan which, BTW, is a fantastic 22 suppressor host gun with enough barrel in front of the site to thread and the little noise made is directed down and cycles 100% with subsonic everything!

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/101293091748/inventors-and-their-guns-john-brownings

Great classic well balanced design!!!

Enjoy

cwmoss

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    May 10, 2014
    Caldwell
    My dad bought a later model 241 Speedmaster in 1948-49, which is an upgraded model 24 I think. Load it thru the stock and is a takedown. Pop's was a 22 short only. I asked why he bought a short and he said back then the short was the least expensive of the 22's. Still shoots great.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Anyone see any reason why I shouldn't fire it?

I took it apart, did a thorough cleaning on the bore. Cleaned and lubed the action. The magazine plunger was missing, so I bought a new one.

Before it had at least 1/8" of rust on the entire thing. And the barrel assembly literally rocked back and forth from the receiver. After cleaning, and buffing the rust off, I was able to adjust the locking mechanism. That made it fit tight. Like brand-new tight.

I think it would be ok, but just wanted a second opinion.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Hell Yeah, shoot the thing. All that writing on the barrel refers to vintage technology 22 rounds. Greased....lol.......Grease it some more with some Winchester white box.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Roger that. Hopefully this Sunday I'll have time.

Sunday?

Heck, I lay a shop towel over the sand in my horseshoe pit and shoot .22 into it all the time from a distance of 2" to check function.
    Especially with subsonic .22....I can clap louder.

You mentioned the clean bore which infers a reasonably clean chamber.
    If the mainspring holding the bolt to the fore is intact I cannot imagine any unsafe condition in a .22lr.
    The gun has a lot of metal surrounding a pittance of nitrocellulose!

Let us know.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Sunday?

Heck, I lay a shop towel over the sand in my horseshoe pit and shoot .22 into it all the time from a distance of 2" to check function.
    Especially with subsonic .22....I can clap louder.

You mentioned the clean bore which infers a reasonably clean chamber.
    If the mainspring holding the bolt to the fore is intact I cannot imagine any unsafe condition in a .22lr.
    The gun has a lot of metal surrounding a pittance of nitrocellulose!

Let us know.

Working 14 hour days right now. I pretty much just go to bed when I get home.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I stopped by the SWFA store in Midlothian today while out and about. They had a good stock of about 15 different 22 rounds. I checked them all out, taking note of the velocity of each one. It looks like the CCI Standard Velocity is a good choice. I have a bunch of those, so tomorrow I am firing it. Report to follow.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Working day and night right now. As soon as I get to shoot it I will post an update.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    2601c75ef5b3814fa311f178b11242e6.jpg

That thing shoots great. Popped off about 30 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity. My eyes won't let me do good groups with iron sights, but it was me and not the gun.

The replacement tube mag from Numrich worked like a charm.

Only issue was the first empty tube it stuck the slide open. But subsequent on rounds it would not hang open. Not sure what that is. Maybe a good cleaning will fix that.

Top Bottom