• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I bought a box of old reloading equipment from a buddy that bought an old hose. In it was an old Lyman All American Turret Press, a Lyman no 55 powder measure, a Lyman Ideal no 45 lubricator & sizer and a Tri-Mike by Micro-Precision case trimmer.

I have the instruction sheet and setup info for the case trimmer and I found info on the powder measure and lubisizer but I can’t find a manual for the turret press.

Everything was setup for reloading 38 special wadcutters but had not been used in years.

The moving parts on most of the equipment was seized. I disassembled everything and got it all freed up.

Anybody have a paper manual or .pdf of the Lyman turret press?????

All the info on the internet complains that the manual for the press cannot be found.

There is a guy making a primer catcher for it so I bought one for about $15 on eBay.

I have a few RCBS presses and powder measure but a dedicated 38 special setup can’t be bad.

bob
    ARJ Defense ad

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Yes .. The press can be upgraded from the J to X shell holders. They are available from MIDWAY. You also need the upgraded primer holder.

It would just be nice to know all the intricacies of the setup.
    I also have the primer tube/arm with it.

bob

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Don’t know why you need a manual except to to add to collectibility.(not being snarky) It’s a manual press. Set up the dies just like a SS press, pull the handle and spin the Turret head.

Now what a lot of guys don’t realize is that the Turret head is not just a neat place to store preset dies. This press is designed to run as a manual progressive press.

While you can run your Ammo in batches just like a SS, and thus faster than a SS; this press is designed for the casing to never leave the shell holder until the round is complete. After sizing and priming, spin the Turret head to the powder measure and drop the powder and depending upon your set up, expand the mouth then or earlier. Then spin the Turret to the seater die and seat the bullet. Then spin to the crimp die. A real slick set up.

This is much faster than batch loading with the same accuracy on the same press. I have many different manual Turret presses and can load 150-200 rounds per hour at a relaxed rate. I’m sure speed demons can do far better.

One thing to keep in mind with the primer system. There is No blast shield! That is why I and others place the primer in the primer cup by hand.

One big advantage of this particular press is that it is a total table top mount. Meaning the press does not hang down off of the bench. It’s Not a knee knocker! Which also means that it does not get in the way of drawers or storage.

6c27c06f474c4a5b17c495f646260b77.jpg

As you can see in the pic, this Turret head has the optional large hole for the larger shotgun dies when you remove that bushing.

Last edited:

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The large hole with the fine threads is what I was wondering about. I do have the insert installed. Mine is set up for 38/357 but I have been using RCBS Reloader Special that I bought in the 1970s for handgun loads.

I have an old RCBS Rock Chucker that I use for rifle cases.
    I also have a Lee Load-All 2 Shotshell Press in 12 and 20.

I work on cars and customers are amazed at some of the things that they don't realize about the features equipped on their cars. It's in the manual (that they never read!!!) (I NEVER KNEW MY CAR DID THAT???)

bob

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Your AA press is a good one, I have two. They are a nice, fairly compact, built like a tank. I’ve loaded many handgun rounds on mine. They are really smooth and a joy to use. I hope you try it out for your 38/357s, you won’t be disappointed.

Yeah, maybe I’m poo-pooing the manual because I’m one of those guys that never read them- haha. You have a good point. :)

Top Bottom