• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judge Dredd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    photo3.jpg photo2.jpg

Greetings! I'm seeking opinions and advice from experience reloaders here. I inherited a bunch of old (1960 at least) reloading equipment for .357/38sp and 9mm. This was purchased by my dad decades ago from a police dept sale. Behind the owners manuals is a lump of lead weighing 11lbs 5/8oz.

One of the powder tins is unopened, though I'm guessing the powder is probably not good anymore - I plead ignorance on reloading, that's why I'm asking you all for assistance.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    DK Firearms

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    The powder you're showing shouldn't be bad, if it hasn't been contaminated. The old Lyman 45 lube sizer is still usable as is the Redding powder measure. The scale looks to be an oil dampened one, so it will probably need some oil in it before it can be used easily. I don't see a press, so that will keep it from being up and running.

The Redding Master powder throw may not adjust down enough to get consistent weights for pistol use with Bullseye, but it should work with 2400 weight range loads.

Redding still makes a Master that has both metering chambers. That means it can be used for any loads, depending on the chamber you have installed. Current price is $138.

Last edited:

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I guess that's the black object? I've never seen a Pacific that was black. I think the press may be a Texan, since some of them were black.

OldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Texas
    Looks like some bullet casting equipment also. If you wanted to use this equipment, get a Lyman Reloading Manual and read it cover to cover. That will show you what's involved in reloading, what each tool is and what it does, and what other tools you'd need to get started. As Paul mentioned, the powder may still be good depending on how it's been stored. Extreme temperature swings over long periods of time can cause it to deteriorate but otherwise it will last for decades.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Did your dad reload?
    Do you plan on reloading?
    What are your plans for the equipment? It appears that you have most everything there to begin reloading.

SPACETRUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    just north of goofy town Texas
    my dad had a press similar to that one, his was a wells, back from the late 50's it had the threaded case holder... best test for the power is to carefully see if a small amount, 1/8 teaspoon or less will burn, of coarse outside in a open fire safe area

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Powder kept in a stable temperature and humidity environment will out live you.

Open the cannister and sniff the powder. If it smells like rotten eggs, it is good. If it smells like vinegar, dump it all over your yard because it makes a good fertilizer.

Top Bottom