APOD Firearms

Need Recommendation for private training.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbpvusa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2015
    Plano, Tx
    I am pretty new to shooting and been going to range for couple of weeks. My shooting is terrible and I would like
    to book a private lesson with some trainer. I asked at Bullet Trap and they seemed to be short handed and recommended that they can offer training between 12 and 3:30 Monday to Friday which does not work for me as I need to be at work at that time.

I live in the Plano area and would like some recommendation for good trainers who preferably can offer private class during the weekend. I need some training to get better at my pistol shooting. Please share your experiences and recommendations. I have taken the intro to handguns at bullet trap couple of months ago and am looking for some one on one for corrections on the basics.
    DK Firearms

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Try zome of the local meet ups. I'm sure someone would help also.
    A lot of time, just grip and finger placement go a long way. Easy enough to figure out in an informal group as well as classes.
    Or come to the Hicksville meet. I'm sure someone there would help.
    from an idgit coffeeholic

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Try zome of the local meet ups. I'm sure someone would help also.
    A lot of time, just grip and finger placement go a long way. Easy enough to figure out in an informal group as well as classes.
    Or come to the Hicksville meet. I'm sure someone there would help.
    This, and read everything you can find on the subject. Youtube may help too.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I second the above mentioned as well.
    The Internet is full of useful info. YouTube is a great tool.
    You can dry fire your weapon on your own time, in the privacy of your own home all while practicing the basic fundamentals.
    There are also laser reactive targets (Laserlyte is one company) that you can use to include into your practice.
    Good luck and have fun!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Call Shoot Smart in Grand Prairie. Ask for Scott only. Tell him Jeff from Corpus sent you. If Scott can't get you shooting straight, no one can. ;)

I would send anyone to Scott.

pbpvusa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2015
    Plano, Tx
    I got the NRA basic pistol DVD and magpul DVD. I went through the NRA one and parts of the magpul DVD1, the rest of the magpul DVD is more advanced for me. I fixed my grips, my posture. I dry fire practice and got a laser for the picante mount in the front. I will try to find meetups.

I am doing something that is dipping the front down or cocking at an angle. I feel like I need another set of eyes looking and correcting my mistakes.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Local meet ups are good for that. Sometimes helping others helps us pinpoint our own problems or things we can do better. Check the local meet up threads.
    And if TXI says someone is good, I would tend to listen.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I got the NRA basic pistol DVD and magpul DVD. I went through the NRA one and parts of the magpul DVD1, the rest of the magpul DVD is more advanced for me. I fixed my grips, my posture. I dry fire practice and got a laser for the picante mount in the front. I will try to find meetups.

I am doing something that is dipping the front down or cocking at an angle. I feel like I need another set of eyes looking and correcting my mistakes.
    It sounds like you are anticipating recoil. Essentially you are trying to fight the recoil before it happens.

That or you are jerking the trigger.

It is easy to overcome with proper practice.

pbpvusa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2015
    Plano, Tx
    Thanks for the recommendation txinvestigator. I had my private with Scott this morning. The long drive was well worth it. He gave me so many drills I can practice at home to overcome some of my issues. My shots were also more accurate. Once I clear some of bad habits, I am confident that my shots would improve a great deal.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Thanks for the recommendation txinvestigator. I had my private with Scott this morning. The long drive was well worth it. He gave me so many drills I can practice at home to overcome some of my issues. My shots were also more accurate. Once I clear some of bad habits, I am confident that my shots would improve a great deal.

I am glad you went to see him. I bet you are already shooting better. Be sure and return for a follow up. ;)

PS...NEVER have a shooting contest with Scott. Ask me how I know....... lol

pbpvusa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2015
    Plano, Tx
    He gave me so many tips about my gun, He shot twice off my gun and it was dead center both times. There was only 1 hole. I am not going to even mention shooting contest to him. I plan to shoot for couple of weeks and go back for a follow up. I need some time to put all he taught into practice.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    Dry fire a lot, all the pros do it. If it's your pistol find a spot on the wall, get a good sight picture and slowly press the trigger to the rear of the gun. Make sure you're using either the pad of your finger or just in front of the crease.
    Dry firing should tell you what you're doing.
    A drill you can do on the range is have someone else load random snap caps in your mags. Then make very deliberate slow shots. That way when you get to the snap cap the gun will give you instant feedback.
    Pistol shooting is tough, there are tons of things you can do wrong.

Rifle is the same, dry fire. Slow press to the rear. The cross hair shouldn't move.

If you're shooting for groups a bipod and a rear bag are your best bet. Then it starts to gets really expensive.
    Snipers hide is a phenomenal resource for precision rifle shooting.

Edit: just read you got your lessons.

Sent from space

pbpvusa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2015
    Plano, Tx
    I went and shot 200 rounds today. My grouping have gotten much better. I got them on the paper and over 90% on the red. I still seem to flinch on first shot almost from the sound. I will dry fire more and shoot more. I can see my techniques improving. Thanks for the recommendation. I plan to shoot some more and then go back to Scott for some more fine tuning.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I went and shot 200 rounds today. My grouping have gotten much better. I got them on the paper and over 90% on the red. I still seem to flinch on first shot almost from the sound. I will dry fire more and shoot more. I can see my techniques improving. Thanks for the recommendation. I plan to shoot some more and then go back to Scott for some more fine tuning.

Awesome! Keep at it.

Top Bottom