• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have been buying the 2.5 gallon HEB water and occasionally rotating them out. I always keep about 5 or 6 of them on hand and buy the same water in 1 gallon jugs for everyday drinking. I usually have 6 to 10 of them on hand as well.
    They are all in a dark closet and heat really isn't a factor, but honestly, if it comes time where getting water is a concern, I am probably not going to worry too much about taste or chemicals from the container it is in. I'm thinking you are going to have to ingest a whole lot of that sort of compromised water for it to be a concern.
    Capitol Armory ad

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Stacking water is usually a bad idea. It's very heavy and water containers just aren't built for accumulating that kind of weight.

I've heard kidney dialysis places use a lot of 20 gallon containers of vinegar which they throw away. I'd try calling around and asking if you can pick them up for them. You don't have your location posted, but if you are in San Antonio there is a place called Barrel City run by Dave the barrel Man which has acres and acres of what you want. His prices are very competitive, too.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Damn, Ive been looking for two of those. I wanna use the 55 gallon to catch rain water.

"Sent from a puff of smoke"

Roofs actually collect a massive amount of water. I'm told a decent sized one could easily fill up a 500 gallon container in a good rain. You might want to think bigger. The potential to harvest lots of free water is there.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Roofs actually collect a massive amount of water. I'm told a decent sized one could easily fill up a 500 gallon container in a good rain. You might want to think bigger. The potential to harvest lots of free water is there.

Would this be "grey" water?
    I suppose it could be Potable if necessary, when conditioned properly....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

I could go broke buying stuff at TSC. They have tanks that could you use for a tornado shelter. If its buried.

"Sent from a puff of smoke"

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Would this be "grey" water?
    I suppose it could be Potable if necessary, when conditioned properly....

No grey water is collected from sinks, showers, etc. Sources that don't include human waste inside the home. Grey water recycling systems typically reuse that water for toilets, watering plants, and other uses for non-potable water.

Rainwater on the other hand is generally safe to drink. However, there are exceptions. Don't drink it if it has come through bad stuff, like areas of high radioactivity, chemical plant smoke, forest fire smoke, etc. It will collect whatever it falls through. Also you must consider the chemicals it picks up when it hits your roof and travels through the gutter system to get to the barrel. Mold, asphalt, fungus, bacteria and other bad things can be picked up. If you live in a clean environment and properly set up a rainwater collection system, it can be good to go. However, it is always a good idea to filter and purify it if you can.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    My grandparents lived on a place just outside Plainview, Texas and they watered the livestock and garden using a cistern, filled from run-off from the house and barn.

Sunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Denton Texas
    I have a rain trap on the back of my house. I boil it and use it for so many different things. I am a stickler on conservation and money spending. Chickens and goats are next!

Top Bottom