• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markbo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Tomball, Tx
    I built a full sized 1911 with a rail that carries a surefire x300 light for hog hunting. Before anyone gets butthurt, that light is secondary for aiming and I have very bright flashlights. I need a recommendation for an OWB kydex holster to hold this heavy rig. No paddle holster. And I am very skeptical of the Bravo concealment omnivore. Any holster that claims to hold every gun probably doesnt hold all of them perfectly. Mym usual holster makers dont have one so I appreciate any leads.
    DK Firearms

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I built a full sized 1911 with a rail that carries a surefire x300 light for hog hunting. Before anyone gets butthurt, that light is secondary for aiming and I have very bright flashlights. I need a recommendation for an OWB kydex holster to hold this heavy rig. No paddle holster. And I am very skeptical of the Bravo concealment omnivore. Any holster that claims to hold every gun probably doesnt hold all of them perfectly. Mym usual holster makers dont have one so I appreciate any leads.

Some of the newer stuff for weapon lights or multi-fit kydex or injection molded holsters actually do a really good job. A lot of the newer designs like the Omnivore, the Phlster Floodlight, etc base retention of the gun off of the WML, and are sized and shaped sufficiently to accommodate a multitude of guns. A 1911 may leave more space between the sides of the holster and the gun, but it shouldn't hold it any less securely than it would a Glock.

A custom route or semi-custom route is always an option. Couple things to look for - a maker that is using injection molded belt attachments vs folded kydex belt attachments - that used to be the way to do things, but folded kydex belt loops break long before injection molded stuff will. There are a bunch of different options / shapes for the belt loops that offer fine tuning right height, cant, or tightness to the body. If the holster is made on what's becoming the "standard" rivet pattern set by Raven Concealment, you can pretty readily obtain aftermarket attachments to further fine tune the setup if your maker doesn't offer them.

One more thing on WML holsters if you're not already familiar with them - they will leave an opening around the trigger guard, and stuff *can* get down in there, so you have to be a bit more vigilant on reholstering, especially if you're concealing the gun under a coat while afield. The holster has to be shaped for the width of the light from the opening all the way down, and with that particular light, its wider than the trigger guard, so you're probably going to have 3/8" or more on either side of the trigger guard where a shirt or coat or finger can find its way in. This freaks some people out. Its a trade off for having a light on the gun.

I know you said kydex, but you might look at going with something like a Safariland 6304 or 6360 duty style holster. With the safariland stuff you can go from a belt slide to a duty belt/war belt type setup, to dropleg as they use a universal mounting pattern for attachments. They also offer RDS versions if you think you'll wind up putting a dot sight on the pistol.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Comp-Tac or G-Code.

I have some G-Code but I only buy Comp-Tac when it comes to Kydex and havnt used the G-Code holsters in forever.. I haven't bought a leather holster in, well over a decade plus.

So that's the long way around the barn to Comp-Tac.

Top Bottom