• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sealy99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Huntsville, TX
    I'm a little new to this, so please bear with me. I am currently shooting over iron sights on my M&P. 18" barrel. This is fine for 100 yards in, but any longer than that and the target is a blur. Any suggestions for between 100 and 300 for around a $600 budget? Any features I should consider?
    DK Firearms

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Athlon Talos 4-14 BTR with the mil reticle, side focus. Really nice. I love mine. Amazon had them for about $250.

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    100-300 yards is red dot territory to me, unless you are strictly target shooting.

1-4x is a good compromise for magnification and speed.

I like Leupold and Vortex personally.

My Leupold 1.25-4x Firedot is a good compromise as it is a scope but has a red dot in the reticle too for low light and quick acquisition.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    100-300 yards is red dot territory to me, unless you are strictly target shooting.

1-4x is a good compromise for magnification and speed.

I like Leupold and Vortex personally.

My Leupold 1.25-4x Firedot is a good compromise as it is a scope but has a red dot in the reticle too for low light and quick acquisition.

Second the Leupold Mark AR Mod1 1.5-4x20mm. (Also available in 3x9) Weighs under 10 oz. Couple that with a light weight Leupold base (about $100) and it's a sweet set up. You can also get this scope without the eliminated dot for about $160 less.

I've got that set up on my 14.5" carbine and am very happy with it.
    m1bdSBx.jpg

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    $600 budget. Personally I prefer variable optics over a red dot with magnifier. Sleeker package with no magnifier hanging off the side when not in use, and the variable is just as fast as a red dot, and you usually get the benefit of a BDC reticle. Either a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 or a Viper PST 1-4 Gen 1 would be my vote. Both of these come under $400 which still leaves you money for a good mount. My recommendation for that would be Bobro.

If you do decide you like the red dot/magnifier combo, I would go with the Vortex SPARC II. Magnifier is your choice. Reason I keep suggesting Vortex is the value for the money and the awesome warranty. You can literally destroy your optic and they will fix or replace it, no matter what.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    $600 budget. Personally I prefer variable optics over a red dot with magnifier. Sleeker package with no magnifier hanging off the side when not in use, and the variable is just as fast as a red dot, and you usually get the benefit of a BDC reticle. Either a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 or a Viper PST 1-4 Gen 1 would be my vote. Both of these come under $400 which still leaves you money for a good mount. My recommendation for that would be Bobro.

If you do decide you like the red dot/magnifier combo, I would go with the Vortex SPARC II. Magnifier is your choice. Reason I keep suggesting Vortex is the value for the money and the awesome warranty. You can literally destroy your optic and they will fix or replace it, no matter what.
    I definitely agree on recommending Vortex. Great value and warranty.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Sort of agree with calibersUSA right above my post.
    I think our military has this figured out and I'll ride on their shoulders any day.

If you want battle accuracy, center of mass hit, a good red dot, Aimpoint or EOTech just can't be beat by any product. Way better than iron sights.

In the same military-quality vein.....shop around and be patient and find a used $600 genuine Trijicon ACOG.
    They are out there in that price range for the patient shopper. I know where one is on a shelf right now for $575. Fondled it yesterday.
    I have several ACOG variants. They will long-outlast me!
    They are premium quality, indestructible, stunningly clear and look right on your rifle!!!
    There is some real pride-in-ownershop in an ACOG.

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Leupold VX-3 3-9x40mm or 3.5-10x50mm. I have a box of broken china junk scopes and lesser optics. Leupold is really in a class by itself,has a lifetime warrantee, can handle any abuse and meets your price point.

The afore mentioned ACOG is also a great choice but all cost well above $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The afore mentioned ACOG is also a great choice but all cost well above $600.

Living not too far from a military base, $600 used ACOGs are definitely out there.

A bunch of them have a nice battle worn finish. Not from a custom finisher but actual battle.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Those sound stolen lol. If you keep an eye out on ARFCOM Equipment Exchange, you should be able to find them (ACOGs) for just a little bit more than that or around that for an older unit. And an ACOG is hard to beat once you learn how to use it properly.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Nikon-M223 3-12 with M-223 Scope Mount spend the rest on ammunition

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Nikon-M223 3-12 with M-223 Scope Mount spend the rest on ammunition

Considering it's $300more than the 3x9 version...do you think it's worth the extra scratch if most shooting is in the 300 yard range?

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Considering it's $300more than the 3x9 version...do you think it's worth the extra scratch if most shooting is in the 300 yard range?

IMHO I have the P-223 3-9x40, Great Optic easy to adjust and holds sight zero well (paired with Burris P.E.P.R. With QD), the downside is the parallax at 50 yards, the M series has a parallax adjustment; alternatively you can change elevation by about 2-4 clicks if you are operating at 50yards or less.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...pes/ar-riflescopes-with-mounts-prod64594.aspx

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Those sound stolen lol. If you keep an eye out

No, don't think my ACOGs are stolen contraband.
    I have seen NSN marked US Govt. ACOGs for $4-500 but would not touch those with a 10 foot pole.

My favorite ACOG is a 3.5x35 that's about $1400 new that had a lot of cracks in the clear fiberoptic gathering rod on top. Was dirty, internally had a misaligned reticle and generally fugly looking. Paid 500, sent it back to Trijicon and it was returned scarcely distinguishable from new.

Shop the gun shows carefully and at closing time Sunday the guys will sell for a lot less than their Saturday noon price. The 3.5x35 was $800 all weekend till 5pm Sunday.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No, don't think my ACOGs are stolen contraband.
    I have seen NSN marked US Govt. ACOGs for $4-500 but would not touch those with a 10 foot pole.

My favorite ACOG is a 3.5x35 that's about $1400 new that had a lot of cracks in the clear fiberoptic gathering rod on top. Was dirty, internally had a misaligned reticle and generally fugly looking. Paid 500, sent it back to Trijicon and it was returned scarcely distinguishable from new.

Shop the gun shows carefully and at closing time Sunday the guys will sell for a lot less than their Saturday noon price. The bunged up TA11 3.5x35 was $800 all weekend till 5pm Sunday.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom