• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Cataracts caused me to venture into the AR-15 optics world. Prior to that, I always used iron sights on A2 uppers.

My favorites are the Nikon P series base/rings that bring the scope to the needed height from a cheek weld. They cost $50/pair. The P series base/rings bring the optics to the perfect elevation for me.

The scopes? I use any of the lower priced Nikon scopes.

Just last week, I was introduced to the "Hawk" line of scopes. They are made in China but have lenses that are well coated for light handling efficiency.

They have a fantastic warranty. Dealers are encouraged to swap out a malfunctioning scope from their stock and short of deliberate abuse, just about anything is covered for life. The warranty is transferrable to another owner.

Marketing of the Hawk scopes is also pretty impressive. If you want to order one of their scopes, their dealers have the authority to order ONE scope without generating a large minimum order.

The scopes are solid and well made. Even their rimfire scopes are approved for large, heavy recoiling rifles and the brutal recoil of air rifles.

I have a Hawk scope ready to go on a custom made AR rifle. I expect good results!

Flash
    Lynx Defense

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Vortex Vortex and Vortex. Darn good glass, tremendous value, and the No Questions Asked Unlimited Lifetime Transferrable Warranty is second to none. I have sold off much more expensive optics and converted all my scopes, binoculars, rangefinder, red dots to Vortex with no drop offs in quality and increased capabilities and money left over to upgrade guns or buy ammo

bman940

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    SW of Denton
    I have been doing freelance work for Nikon for 8 years now. The reason I continue to work for them is the quality of products they produce and the way they back up what they make with a No Fault Policy.Even if it's your fault! Check out this video and see what you think? Just as a FYI, I don't do any sales at all and I encourage tyou to check out TGT's Sponsor's so you can support those who make this site possible. Any Nikon related question's, drop me a note.

Downhill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Baird Texas
    When they allowed optics in service rifle comps I researched just about all that fit in the rules. I settled on the Sig Sauer Tango 4 1x4power. Got it for $550 from optics zone on sale. Great glass with an inverted horseshoe reticle. Zero stop on elevation. Really improved my 600 yds scores.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Hmmm, $500-$600 Authentic ACOG's all day long...reckon I better start looking a bit harder or hang out where you guys do :)

The only time I've seen them that cheap is on older units with possibly dim tritium in the Equipment Exchange on ARFCOM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Our ACOGS were controlled and inventoried just like weapons. Had a signed weapons card and everything. Would have been very hard to just run off with one.

Not saying it's impossible but seems like a very easy way to earn a felony.

We had a Gunny get busted just selling non inventoried parts out of the Armory. As far as I know he's a Pvt now in a brig somewhere.

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Our ACOGS were controlled and inventoried just like weapons. Had a signed weapons card and everything. Would have been very hard to just run off with one.

Not saying it's impossible but seems like a very easy way to earn a felony.

We had a Gunny get busted just selling non inventoried parts out of the Armory. As far as I know he's a Pvt now in a brig somewhere.

Ding Ding Ding, you win a cigar my friend :) An expensive item like an ACOG, no matter beat up and abused in the desert still must be tracked and accounted for even If no longer serviceable. If deemed repairable, they get sent back to the vendor who also likely has the sustainment contract for the life cycle of the item. If deemed irreparable, they aren't just sold to the local Army/Navy Surplus stores, they are designated for DRMO for either proper destruction or possible repurposing into spare parts. Items that have potentially hazardous components such as tritium would have even more restrictive handling procedures making them even less likelier to end up at a gun show. Unless of course like you said, some idiot GI thought he could get away with stealing one. I don't know, but I'd sure be suspicious of a cheap ACOG

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Are items in DRMO now open to the public for sale?

Not always. Some gets sold off for scrap. Some to surplus. Some is given or sold to "allies". Something like an ACOG is controlled as a hazardous item since it has tritium in it so unsure what will happen with that. But even our tritium compasses were tracked and controlled as part of our radiation exposure program. It was dumb.

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Not always. Some gets sold off for scrap. Some to surplus. Some is given or sold to "allies". Something like an ACOG is controlled as a hazardous item since it has tritium in it so unsure what will happen with that. But even our tritium compasses were tracked and controlled as part of our radiation exposure program. It was dumb.

Right, that's what I've seen too. Also some DRMO items that can't be dealt with as described above (other than hazmat) will actually be disposed of (trashed) rather than given away or donated to someone that might could use it. Typical govt stupidity & wastefulness. Ok sorry wandered off topic lol, bottom line is if you see U.S. Govt or military marked items like scopes for sale at gun shows, they are likely fake or pilfered so buyer beware. Stuff like clothing, boots, sleeping bags, blankets, uniforms are different because those don't generally get turned back in.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

dirkjr10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2017
    Dallas
    I have the Burris RT-6 I’m trying to sell recently? Are you interested in that scope? It has BDC our to 600 yards and glass is great for all shooting conditions.

dirkjr10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2017
    Dallas
    I'm a little new to this, so please bear with me. I am currently shooting over iron sights on my M&P. 18" barrel. This is fine for 100 yards in, but any longer than that and the target is a blur. Any suggestions for between 100 and 300 for around a $600 budget? Any features I should consider?

I have Burris RT-6 I’ve had since June but wanted to switch to something for long range shots. It’s excellent condition. Have PEPR mount too if you want it too.

Top Bottom