• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    I picked up this Vortex optic a while back. Been busy with work and never got around to research rings. What are good rings? are 2 single rings better than a 1 pc 2 ring say QD mount? And lastly what height rings works well for a AR 300 Blkout?

$_57.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Pawpaw40

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    East Texas
    I put a Bushnell 1-4x24 in a Burris P.E.P.R. mount on my AR 300 BO. It's a one piece, slightly cantilevered, high-rise, quick detachable mount. I have a 5.56 AR that I put a JP one piece mount on, and had to put a 1/2" spacer under it to get it at the right height for me. YMMV

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Height and type are going to be a bit subjective, but typically speaking:

- Due to the lack of any drop in an AR stock, the scope will need to sit fairly high for proper eye alignment/cheek weld.
    - A QD mount is not necessary if you don't plan to detach it often.
    - The biggest advantage, IMO, to one-piece mounts is that most are offered in a cantilever style, which allows forward positioning of the scope for proper eye relief (with rings, you may run out of rail). I also find mounting a scope into a one-piece to be an easier affair.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    If you have a railed front handguard you'll probably need high or extra high rings.

The barrel on bolt action guns dip slightly in front of the action, on ARs with 1 long continuous top rail there's no dip. So you'll need taller rings than normal.

The scope (56mm objective diameter) on my AR-10 barely fits with the extra high NightForce Unimount. It's so close there isn't enough clearance to put the scope covers on.

I dunno how big that Vortex is, but with a smaller front lens diameter you might be able to squeak by with high rings.

Last edited:

Burnt Jeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Woodway,TX
    I have the Nikon one piece mount on my 300 blk. I am happy with it. But the Nikon p series two price mount works well also.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I got the 2 piece leupold ar rings that came with the mark ar scope. They seem ok. They are for 1" tube. Does the Pepr come in 1"?
    1" or 30mm for the PEPR.

I don't see how a person can use regular rings on an AR. They are way too low for me.

I have a PEPR and a Vortex one piece and they both are the right height for me. The PEPR is a very good mount and worth the money.

Pawpaw40

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    East Texas
    I bought the PEPR and a couple months later, I found this ...

Colt Competition Rifle 1430 Scope Mount For 30MM Style Black $55.00

I see no real difference in the two.

Not a whole lot of difference except the PEPR is a quick detachable (which is good if you have BUIS), and has a rail section for the top if you want to mount a small reflex sight on it. It also comes with a plain top, if you don't want anything on top. It is not cheap, I'll agree, but it isn't as expensive as a LaRue.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    1" or 30mm for the PEPR.

I don't see how a person can use regular rings on an AR. They are way too low for me.

I have a PEPR and a Vortex one piece and they both are the right height for me. The PEPR is a very good mount and worth the money.

They're not regular rings. They're designed for use on an ar15

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Burris are good amd cheap. I picked up several to put in the closet when they were on sale earlier this year from late last year. They are heavy but they'll hold 0 great. I've done hundreds of rifle bumps into barrels without any issues

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have a PEPR and it is ok. I prefer A.R.M.S. #22 Throw Lever 30mm Scope Rings. They make 1" as well. A.R.M.S. make a one piece unit but I have never tried it due to the cost.

IMHO they feel more robust than other brands that I have used. I ended up replacing several other sets of rings with A.R.M.S. throw lever rings.

Top Bottom