• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxfieldarms

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Justin, TX
    Hey Guys, I'm fairly new to shotguns, they have really just recently peaked my interest. Looking to purchase a semi auto, more than likely I will be looking in a price range of under $1000. I have be looking strongly at the Mossberg 930 JM pro. I haven't shot 3 gun yet, but will looking to possible get involved this year. Any thoughts on this shotgun? Or any others I should consider?

thanks for your time
    Military Camp

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Ay Yi Yi - I've never owned a semi. Rem 1100's seem to be the ones of choice. If I were to get any, a Browning A5 humpback would be my choice.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The Remington 1100 has been around a long time. Only problems I have seen is the rubber o-ring can break and the chrome bolt assist handle can pull out. Both problems render the shotgun unusable. Here is a curious bit of trivia. The Remington 1100-LT 20 gage holds the world's record for the most shots fired without a malfunction, being cleaned, or having a part break. The total count was 24,000 consecutive rounds without a failure.
    Bennelli and Berreta each make fine gas shotguns. Berreta has been building firearms for over 500 years.

One nice thing about an 1100 is they are available. Remington has produced over four million over the years. Another option is the Remington 1187. Do not have a feel for current pricing, but they are out there. Remington eliminated the rubber o-ring on the 1187 gas system.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Maybe look at FN SLP.

I'd buy a pump and spend the money on ammo and training loading rounds. Shell loading time is a bigger constraint than pump vs semi.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    I bought a shotgun once... Can't find another I'd like to own.

8EB8C96A-B58A-4D5B-9583-4DEDD8053D48_zps9ba9dufv.jpg

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Any of the 930 series (SPX, JM Pro, blackwater, etc.) will leave you happy with your purchase. Fit and finish not quite the level of Benelli, Beretta, Browning, etc. But functionality is just as good. Make sure you get a post 2012 (in case you buy used) 930 model as the earlier models had some Q/A issues, though long since fixed. I have had 3 different 930 variants and they all have been great shooters. I use the SPX around the yard with 7/8 oz shot (really light) for varmint control and it even cycles that light stuff just fine.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    Agreed.

If I were going to go with an autoloader though, I really like the Benelli M4.

Boom. My Gieselle hammer arrives today to make my M4 922(r) compliant. I already have the CarrierComp full tube with follower. So adding the Geisele hammer will make it fully compliant.

I also have the GG&G Charging Handle & Bolt Release Pad and the TTI Oversized Safety. For a side saddle I use the Sidearmor 6rd quick detach saddle. Lastly I've mounted an Inforce WML onto a CDM Gear BMT with 3 slot rail mount.

I've tried the Benelli USA collapsible stock, ATI & ProMag. The factory stock and pistol grip is the best IMO.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I've owned a Mossy 930 for a while and the only issue I had was that mine wouldn't function well with "light" or "low brass" rounds for the first few hundred rounds, so I had to use hi-power rounds until I got it broken in.

NovemberJuliet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Any suggestion on a good semi under $1k shotgun for hunting dove, turkey, duck, and beavers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Mossberg 930 turkey or field model should be OK, but if you can find one there's a 935 model that handles 3.5" shells. There are others, but I have personal experience with these.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    If your interested in 3gun. Your choices are for entry shotguns are JM Pro 930 or Stoeger M3000 (Poor mans M2). There's lots of stuff on Enos for the 3000. JM Pro is hit or miss for reliability. My buddies at Dissident Arms does a reliability package for the Pro which includes opening up the loading port. You can get a Beretta 1301 for a little over $1k and a VersaMax also. You can buy a cheap VM and add the parts yourself.

I started with a SPX with over 3k rounds no issues and then bought a Pro. The only issue I've had with the JM so far is the firing pin mushrooming after 1500 rounds. I wouldn't go with a 1100 especially if your going to shoot 3 gun. I've ready after adding extensions to the tube reliability goes down. Also the reason 3 gunners don't use the M4 is they tend not to like light loads very much

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I've owned a Mossy 930 for a while and the only issue I had was that mine wouldn't function well with "light" or "low brass" rounds for the first few hundred rounds, so I had to use hi-power rounds until I got it broken in.
    My wife's cycles estate and Winchester SS white box. My 500 does not. The "brass/aluminum" gets stuck in the chamber

Mycin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    McKinney
    The Remington 1100 has been around a long time. Only problems I have seen is the rubber o-ring can break and the chrome bolt assist handle can pull out.

I always try to carry a spare o-ring with me when hunting, just in case. I've never had a failure due to the o-ring through several thousands of rounds, but I did pro-actively replace one that was looking a little ragged.

Remington eliminated the rubber o-ring on the 1187 gas system.

Um, no. My 11-87 uses the same o-ring as the 1100. I believe the main difference between the two models is that the 11-87 has a 3" chamber, whereas the 1100 is only 2 3/4".

Last edited:
    Top Bottom