• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Hey fellas, I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I took out my shotgun plug for night hunting coyotes, and can't find it anywhere. The gun is a Browning BPS 3.5" 12 gauge, and nobody seems to carry the plug for it around here. I'm headed out to go dove hunting early in the morning on public land in Groesbeck. I was thinking about stuffing it with newpaper until only 2 shells will load in the mag tube, but I'm pretty sure a warden wouldn't like that very much. Does anybody have a quick fix?

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Try a pencil (think old school #2), look around for a dowel rod or even a tree limb. The law does not require a bought and paid for plug, merely something to limit capacity. A little ingenuity and you'll be good to go. If you want store bought, there are universal plugs out there that you snap off to get the appropriate length.

ETA: Newspaper likely won't pass muster, but anything solid that won't interfere with the operation of the gun should.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not familiar with the plugs for that shotgun, but Mossberg uses a simple dowel with a couple of o-rings on it to keep it from tangling with the spring...

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Not familiar with the plugs for that shotgun, but Mossberg uses a simple dowel with a couple of o-rings on it to keep it from tangling with the spring...

I just have a dowel (somewhere) for my shotgun. I suppose I could make one again if I wanted to hunt with it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Make sure its pretty stout I've seen game wardens force a shell in and brake the plug and then give the hunter a ticket.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Shotgun Plug

Go to your local hardware store, purchase a wooden, 1/2inch diameter dowel. Go home and lay out two shotgun shells of your caliber, measure same laying together end to end, mark dowel to same length and saw on cut mark. Oh, this won't work with .410s with those use smaller dowel.

Some slight additional cutting may be necessary, but as long as one in the barrel and two in the tubular magazine is all it will take, you are legal...

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I use a short piece of pvc pipe. I make it a habit to check every ones shotgun and occasionally have someone show without their plug. Mostly guys that rarely hunt or using a loaner.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom