Texas SOT

Need some gun storage options, preferably concealed...do we have any resources in SA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Hey guys, I've gotten to a point where I'm going to need some locked storage options (outside of just locking a particular room). Sooo I'm looking into gun safes and really would prefer something concealed as opposed to a 500 lb huge box in my house or garage.

I've been looking around online but really can't find anything that would fit my needs. What have you guys done or who have you used to find a gun storage solution in your home? Feel free to PM if need be.

Shooter74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2014
    Need some gun storage options, preferably concealed...do we have any resource...

Wow. What a nice bookshelf. I saw once where an old soda machine was used as a safe. I like the conceal in plain site idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    I like the tactical wall idea, but can't find one that houses the number of long guns I would like to eventually own.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    if you have a fairly large closet, you can create a false wall. You large closet would now look like a regular sized closet, with the hanging clothes hiding the door to your storage.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Have you considered the attic?

If your home has two floors, then there is lots of room under the stair case. Just cut out some dry wall, make a safe space, then replace the dry wall panels on some hinges. Camouflage the cut-out with furniture or art work.

You can store your ammo in kitchen cabinets. Just cover with paper bags and put your dishes/pots/pans on top. My favorite place is to disable the fire place, and build a shelf upon which to store some guns.

If you want to cut into your walls, there are plenty of places to hide guns and ammo. Just make sure the cut-outs are not obvious.

jblack58

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    San Antonio
    I found plans on line for a platform bed that was hinged about 2/3 of the way up from the end and supported by gas cylinder lifts like on your car. I cover the frame with a bed skirt and it completely conceals the fact that I have weapons stored under it. When I go out of town I add a small bracket between the underside of the top and the end of the frame secured with a couple of wood screws incase anyone would ever try to lift up the mattress.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am working on a house now that will have a cabinet that swings away to reveal a safe behind it. The safe is in a cubby hole that allows the cabinet to sit tight to the wall with a hidden hinge and latch.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You could always go with the dummy safe idea also. One safe in your bedroom or wherever not bolted down but full of bricks. The real safe tucked away in a closet somewhere. By the time crooks lug out the dummy safe they will be too tired to find the real one.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    You could always go with the dummy safe idea also. One safe in your bedroom or wherever not bolted down but full of bricks. The real safe tucked away in a closet somewhere. By the time crooks lug out the dummy safe they will be too tired to find the real one.

Ha, ha, a decoy. Love it!!

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Looks like I'm gonna have to go that route too probably. Just have something custom built.

jcbush

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    San Antonio
    Yeah, boss, think you are going to have to do something custom. Too bad you did not get to the house before it was built.

I did see one option where a guy busted up the foundation in a closet, put in what I think was a 50 gallon drum cut in half & lined with some water absorbent material, and then put a trap door covered by the closet carpet. Seemed like a lot of work to me.

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    LOL. Yea that's not happening because I just spent a shit ton getting the foundation back to where it's supposed to be! I found a company that does make custom furniture with lots of hidden compartments...but it's a pretty penny. The one I'm thinking about is around 4k. Damn. I could make something with one of my closets, but it would be very amateurish and a quasi-intelligent thief would likely find it anyway.

Ugh.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    $4K, wow. That is a long way toward building a vault, one that says 'I am here and you can't break into me before the police arrive' type set up even if you know I am here.

Had an associate build a 10'x10' strongroom on the back of his garage. He doweled into the foundation, poured a slab for it. Used ICFs for the walls, poured a concrete top, little hipped roof tied into the main roof, sided it, and put a nice vault door on it. Things looks nice, and can't be seen from the street.

He would not tell me the cost, as I think he went over his budget we talked about, LOL. But I am guessing in the $5-6,500 range.

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Tell me about it. I'm fixin' to just get a cabinet to keep kids out, let the dogs run around the house while I'm gone, and up my ADT service to include fire monitoring. Maybe just get something for the ammo then just in case of a fire I don't want it popping off as easily.

It's too bad in our society that we have to spend extra money so that people don't steal what we have.

Top Bottom