Need some help explaining this disease to my wife...

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Parker, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Parker

Parker Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Buda, TX
    Howdy y'all, I need some help explaining the firearm disease to my wife. She doesn't quite understand the need for multiple firearms in multiple calibers, and I cannot quite find the words necessary to explain fully. I have a pair of Remington 700s in .270 and 7mm Rem. Mag, and am currently looking to add a Browning X-Bolt Medallion in .308 to my safe, as well as a Ruger SR-556 and a .308 AR build that I am soon to start. None of these purchases effects our finances too much, as I place the necessities before the hobby. My reasoning behind wanting a 5.56 is to get her involved in shooting, as I feel she would enjoy it.

I tried to explain the .223/5.56 as something I could just randomly go to the range and shoot for the hell of it when the moment came around and possibly setting up as a competition rifle (3 gun maybe?), but again, I can't fully explain.

Please help me...

2. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    The only TRUE way to explain is through involvement!
    She must be involved in the SHOOTING activity.
    Otherwise, well you may be screwed!

3. Parker

Parker Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Buda, TX
    Well, yes, I understand that, hence the reason for investing in a .223. I feel it's something that would be easy enough for her to shoot, but still not a .22LR. She's seen me shoot my short barrel .270, and the bruising that occurs after a 60 round sight-in and is kind of scared to even shoot it once.

Involving her is one of the reasons I want a small caliber rifle.

4. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Seek out a female shooter at the range.
    She may be able to help with some "Female" type reasoning.
    Remember they come from a different planet!

5. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known

Aug 4, 2009
    Midland, TX
    I gave up long ago trying to explain that to my mom. Appearantly she thinks that "one size fits all" applies to firearms. I can't get it thru her skull that each one serves a different purpose. She also doesn't understand the need for a bug-out bag.

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    A 60 round sight in!:eek::eek::eek::eek: Was there a 90 MPH cross wind? :rofl: I'm just playin around. My wife asked me the other day "when are we going to shoot your rifle again?" I was shocked. And said "right now come on" she declined but really the only way I got her in is get her to go with me. :happy0001: Good luck.

7. Parker

Parker Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Buda, TX
    There was a good enough cross wind the other day when I was at Dietz to ensure every round was 1 click right at the end of the day...

8. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Bring her to a meet where there are plenty of others.... I say have someone else teach her how to shoot if she is new, pay money if you have to for a lesson. And there is nothing wrong with a .22lr to have for fun shootin either.

9. Parker

Parker Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Buda, TX
    I've considered this, but I live in Buda and don't have the time to go out to San Antonio for a meet. I can teach her how to shoot, but I left something out. She's a yankee from Chicago. She still looks at me crazy when I say I'm going out to kill a deer or two.

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    There is one at Lone Star Gun Range on November 8th it's closer than San Antonio. Here is the web sitehttp www.ctxpta.com/ you can get directions on the web site.