Join TexasGunTalk

Need some help on deciding caliber for AR pistol

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by JColumbus, Nov 23, 2018.

10.5" 5.56 or 8" 300 AAC

1. 10.5" 300

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. 8" 300

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. 10.5" 5.56

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. 8" 5.56

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Thanksgiving dinner was great!

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JColumbus

JColumbus Well-Known

Jun 28, 2012
    I've done research over the years about this, in preparation for this, but I see so much conflicting information.

I am finally about to put together an AR pistol but I really can't decide, based off of forums and even velocity data, wether or not it's smart to go with 5.56. The plan has always been an 8" 300 AAC, but I will have to build up ammo stock to shoot that and I can have fun with a 5.56 right away.

The problem with the 5.56 is that supposedly it will be JUST a toy. I want something that looks aesthetically pleasing, like a toy, but I also want it to be useful, if ever I would need it. And forgive my foil, but I am not talking about home defense, as I already have so many other options for that, but SHTF. I read that an 8" 5.56 is stupid for things like that, so I was considering a 10.5", but I read that THAT is even insufficient, as the round was design to burn in at least 12" of barrel.

Supposedly there are damn near no cons to having an 8" 300. My only reason for this is that it's even more costly to get into that game, otherwise I'd buy a few thousand rounds and not make this thread.

So am I missing anything? Would you all trust your lives to an 8-10.5" 5.56 AR, or would it be stupid not to start getting into the 300 AAC game, since I have that opportunity right now?

I appreciate any and all advice, ridicule, and information. God bless and hope you all had a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving.

2. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You will be fine with a 5.56. Get some good expanding/ hunting rounds and it will be more than sufficient. If it works on deer it will work on people.

If you just want a 300 then that is fine too.

3. lonestardiver

lonestardiver Well-Known

Dec 12, 2010
    Briar
    Get the 5.56 and then a separate upper for 300blk.

pronstar and grasshopperglock like this.
  4. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    You need an option to vote - “Make whatever the hell you want, and ignore half the shit you read on the internet”.

5. sharkey

sharkey Active Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Just bite the bullet and get 300blk. Ammo costs more than 5.56 but if you buy in bulk from the right folks, it ain't that bad. I have 2 AR pistols in 300blk and 0 in 5.56.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Cruise Control

Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I have an 8.5", 5.56. There's a 300blk barrel leaning against the TV cabinet.

The 5.56 will do all you want it to do. Using a red dot, I can bust tiny rocks on the backstop berm. At 25 yards you can bust a rock in two. Then bust the two chunks. 2" rock before it's busted.

The recoil of the 300 will wear your nerves faster then 223.

It's loud. Really loud. Anybody to your right or left at the range will mean mug you because it's Super loud. Kids will stand there and stare at you, holding their earmuffs with their hands. I run a plain old bird cage flash hider. Nothing fancy.

In broad daylight you can see a faint fire ball through the dot. At night it's a sight to see.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  7. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol @ 300BA recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico, orbitup and sharkey like this.
  8. Charlie

Charlie "I can't think of one thing that I don't know." TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I've got a 300BLK AR pistol with an 8" barrel. I really like it. I handload so it's no more expensive than anything else. I load 180gr. and 212gr. mostly. The 212gr. is not very loud (subsonic) and has virtually no recoil. I like the 300 much more than the 5.56 in this little gun. I've got a 5.56 target rifle I use also. Like'em both!

9. sharkey

sharkey Active Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Grown men shudder and women pee their pants when I shoot mine. Throw a Kak Muzzle device on it regardless of caliber and the noise blast is funneled forward.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

grasshopperglock likes this.
  10. JColumbus

JColumbus Well-Known

Jun 28, 2012
    Haha I love you people. Alright, so I went with this...

http://androcorpind.com/556-nato-8-bravo-w-flash-can/

...and though it doesn't show the option, I bought it in 300 AAC. I figure, in a few months I will buy a 5.56 barrel in 10.5, just in case I cry too hard about not being able to shoot it until I can buy some ammo. I already have some cheap complete lower with a PDW brace, that I bought my daughter for her 15th because she asked for an AR for her birthday AND THEN changed her mind because she wanted...

BOOKS instead. The rewards of raising good children. Now I have a 300BO pistol FINALLY. Can't wait to trick my other kids into "wanting guns" and then suddenly changing their minds. THE WIFE WILL NEVER CATCH ON! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Wait. She's actually the one who made me buy the upper, while I lay in a fetal position crying in guilt at the thought of spending 400 dollars on myself...

OH YEA, the upper was only 400 dollars without the BCG, since I already have a BCG.

Hey, you guys are the best. Even though it's bought, I'd still like to see the discussion. God bless and have a good Black Friday. I've gotta go stand in line for 3 day at McDonalds, cause they are giving 2 cents off of ice cream cones. YES! I've got it made boys!

grasshopperglock likes this.