Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Pretty sure nobody mentioned it, but the one advantage .300BLK has is the pistol powder, which combined with the pistol length gas system, gets the bullet up to speed before hitting the gas block.

If I were to buy a pistol length upper, it would be in .300 solely for that reason. While 5.56 will function with a pistol length gas system, it’s just not as efficient.

Alas, my non-standard itch to scratch is .458 SOCOM (suppressed) because it’s what I would want to have as a people-stopper.

For hunting with an AR platform, It’s a tossup between .308 and 6.5CM. Leaning towards the 6.5 since it seems to be more versatile.
    Military Camp

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Personally, I wouldn't get a 300Blk without running an 8" barrel and a can. Ballistically, that was the original intent. But, those two tax stamps plus the hard to come by ammo is enough to keep me away for now. If we ever get silencers removed from the tax stamp list, I may entertain the idea. For now, I just run 5.56. I'd like to try the AR10 market, but I hear they can be a little more finicky as far as what parts can go on what brand.

Edit: On second thought, i think it may have been a 6" barrel.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    8" of barrel and another 6-8" of suppressor...

Buy the rifle.

I get how the 300 was developed in a short barrel. The ability to run a 30 cal bullet below the speed of sound. I get the sound reduction. However, When it's all done up. It's 16-18" of stuff sticking out past the receiver.

It'd be ok on a rifle but that's straight too much for a pistol. The whole thing around the thing is it's size. At 8.5" it's compact. To stick another 6" on it makes it like a rifle with no stock. And then to add a stock takes a stamp.

I'm out on a suppressed AR pistol.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    At 8.5" it's compact. To stick another 6" on it makes it like a rifle with no stock.
    Are there suppressors that don't have that problem? I'm pretty ignorant about such things but I seem to remember some suppressor designs that have expansion chambers that extend way behind the muzzle, making them fat but short.

Can anybody point me to something like that?

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    BO pistol, only one that makes any sense. Subs or supers, yup, noisy but you will be wearing ear protection, right? Big bore ? Nope no real reason to. About 5# unloaded. Cheap to reload.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    8" of barrel and another 6-8" of suppressor...

Buy the rifle.

I get how the 300 was developed in a short barrel. The ability to run a 30 cal bullet below the speed of sound. I get the sound reduction. However, When it's all done up. It's 16-18" of stuff sticking out past the receiver.

It'd be ok on a rifle but that's straight too much for a pistol. The whole thing around the thing is it's size. At 8.5" it's compact. To stick another 6" on it makes it like a rifle with no stock. And then to add a stock takes a stamp.

I'm out on a suppressed AR pistol.
    Lets get a grip here. Buy a Winni thutty thutty cowbody gun and be done with it. It aint much longer than a long barrelled pistol wih all kinds of illegal stuff attached on the end. Yall are crazy peeples.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Are there suppressors that don't have that problem? I'm pretty ignorant about such things but I seem to remember some suppressor designs that have expansion chambers that extend way behind the muzzle, making them fat but short.

Yes Sir but it involves a car engine oil filter. The adapter to attach it requires a stamp. Now if you use it for a "Solvent Trap" and never send a bullet through the oil filter. Last I checked it was about $50 for the solvent trap adaptor.

Wink Wink*

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yes Sir but it involves a car engine oil filter. The adapter to attach it requires a stamp. Now if you use it for a "Solvent Trap" and never send a bullet through the oil filter. Last I checked it was about $50 for the solvent trap adaptor.

Wink Wink*
    Nah, they're going for $12 on Amazon last I checked about a week ago.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Lets get a grip here. Buy a Winni thutty thutty cowbody gun and be done with it. It aint much longer than a long barrelled pistol wih all kinds of illegal stuff attached on the end. Yall are crazy peeples.

It's still lever action. And suppressors are plenty legal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    If want a specialized solvent trap to save the trees...

https://www.preppersdiscount.com/store/p298/The_"MIX_KIT"_Solvent_Trap_Cleaning_System_using_GERMAN_ALUMINUM_and_Cup_Filters._%C2%A0_%C2%A0_%C2%A0%C2%A0_%C2%A0_%C2%A0%C2%A0_%2A%2A_NEW_2016_PRODUCT_%2A%2A.html
    Oh shit....at least with the adapter, you can hide it in the junk drawer of your tool box and have plausable deniability. This just went to a whole notha level.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Wink Wink*

That’s not at all what Ben was asking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    At 8.5" it's compact. To stick another 6" on it makes it like a rifle with no stock.

Will try to queue up a much more thorough response to this (entire) topic for later this week when I have more time, but the short answer is:

What you're referring to is known as a "Reflex" supressor design, which may add up to a couple cubic inches (typically, give or take) of additional volume, but at a reduced efficiency level due to considerations associated with high temp/pressure gas/fluid dynamics (at temps/pressures involved, physical properties of gasses inside supressor resemble/behave more like a fluid than a gas). These can be setup as direct-thread, but will often use an OTB (over the barrel) QD muzzle device/brake.

Reflex cans are cool, but have some inherent limitations, including those related to host platform applicability, which I can outline in more detail later when time permits (and other approaches which can actually achieve shorter weapon OAL, at least with regard to short-barrel host platforms).

Another similar option - but entirely different operating premise - is an actual 'integrally suppressed' barrel (doesn't mean what many think it does), but now you're likely getting into the true "custom" space for anything beyond an integrally supressed 22lr...

Last edited:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    My 300$ 10" BO pistol is 5#, does 2moa easy with no optics, my eyes are OLD.. 150gr almost knocks over steel @ 50 yds. Load anything from 110vmax to 185gr cast FN. Put some 3x magnification on it and good to 200yds with the 110vmax. Nothing special I put together myself. Getting used to shooting it is the trick. No stock so cheek the tube and go for it. I have no use for 223 in anything as I only hunt hogs and see what happens when you try using 223 on them. Yea, it can be done but this works mo better!

Attachments

• 175PB.jpg
      175PB.jpg
      610.3 KB · Views: 178
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom