• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I do not own a handgun yet (budget won't allow) but I will definitely get one before this summer if everything goes well.

I have narrowed my choices to these three:

Springfield Armory XD .45 ACP

F&N FNP .45

H&K USP .45

This will be my first (of many more) handgun purchases so I want to know what y'all think and let me know anything I should know about these pieces of art.

Also I chose these three because I actually got to hold them in my hand and they feel the best.

I am also open to other suggestions but I need to see if I can find one here in El Paso to hold before I buy.

Also I am not to sure but I do not believe the gun range (only one here) rents guns.:(

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, if you can afford it I would highly recommend the new HK45. You know, honestly I'm not the type to jump on bandwagons, and I am not one of those guys that thinks H&K's new stuff is God's gift to firearms or anything. I do like their guns but, I don't hold them up on a pedestal. Though, I will say this much, the grip of the HK45 is SIGNIFICANTLY more ergonomic than any of the other polymer frame double stack .45's out there (XD, M&P, G21, FNP, etc). They are nice guns and feel great and incredibly slim compared to most double stack .45's. Most other double stack .45's feel like 2x4's in comparison! ;)

So I guess you are pretty set on a .45 semi-auto of some sort then? If that's the case, heres another I would suggest considering. That is the S&W SW99 in 45acp. For some odd reason it only holds 9 rounds even though it is double stack and has an incredibly long grip. The gun is largely made by Walther, however S&W makes the slide and barrel. They are excellent guns and pretty much the most ergonomic handguns ever made IMO. As far as double stack .45's go, these have to be the slimmest or at least very close to it.

Before I make any other recommendations, I guess I should ask what are the features you are looking for in a handgun? If you don't mind single stack, I would highly recommend checking out Sig P220's. They are incredibly reliable guns, though unfortunately you'd only have the option of 7rd, 8rd, and 10rd mags.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Thanks HK, oh and about how much should I expect to pay on a new HK I don't wanna get screwed by paying too much.

Honestly, I have pretty big hands and the XD felt really good to me. However, I just love the way the USP looks and it felt great too.

.45 ACP is definitely what I want to get, I mean I've shot quite a bit of guns since I was young and I used to love shooting my old college roommates .44 Mag it was a BEAST!!

I will purchase different caliber guns later. I really love that new Ruger SP9 that just came out a while back but I really want a .45

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    The newer XD45s have a low-profile grip that's pretty close to the XD9 grip (as opposed to the massive G21 grip that seems to be responsible for the "gripping a 2x4" comparison). I haven't had a chance to handle a G21SF, but I gather they're pretty close to the G17's grip cross-section.

I'm fond of my P220. I find it to be a bit more accurate than my G21 and a bit better balanced. Now if only Sig magazine prices were like Glock magazine prices...

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Where have you looked?I live in El Paso and know that the XDs are $545 at A smokin gun on Doniphan.The HKs are expensive at Collectors gun exchange on the westside.The FNs are decent but also overpriced.If you consider a Glock then they are $499 at Academy on mesa hills,Everyone else sells them for $589.I usually order from the internet so I do not have to pay taxes and I get a better price.

Longtooths

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Irving, Texas
    Well, if you can afford it I would highly recommend the new HK45. You know, honestly I'm not the type to jump on bandwagons, and I am not one of those guys that thinks H&K's new stuff is God's gift to firearms or anything. I do like their guns but, I don't hold them up on a pedestal.

"HK_Fiend"

lol I'm not sure why he would think you are coo coo for HK's?

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Hey Mac, I really do not like the grip on the Glock it just does not feel natural when I hold it.

That is awesome that there is another fellow El Pasoan on this board.

So how much more are the FNs and HKs compared to the XD?

I figured my best bet would be the XD.45.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would suggest the HK45 out of that list. It's superior to the others, however it is the most costly. HK has done a good job with the P30 / HK45. The HK45 Compact is kinda lame in my opinion, still prefer the USP Compacts to them.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I am going to try to find a good deal on a USP .45

Hey Alan are you related to Jim? If you are could you tell him that I am 07SierraZ71 off of GM trucks.

I still can't figure out how to reply to PM on this forum.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I am going to try to find a good deal on a USP .45

Hey Alan are you related to Jim? If you are could you tell him that I am 07SierraZ71 off of GM trucks.

I still can't figure out how to reply to PM on this forum.

PM's are enabled after 5 posts, it might take the server an hour or so to process that you've passed 5 posts.

I'll let him know.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    The HKs are running about $859 and up.I have the USP 45 Tactical.It runs flawless.

comanche

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Austin
    Have you considered buying used?
    I recently bought a Sig P220 for $550. It looks new and runs like a dream. No one makes guns like the Swiss (read Germans).
    And yes, all handgun calibers should start with 4..

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Since this is the first gun I am going to purchase I do not know what I need to look for in a used gun. Do they come with warranty?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I am in 100% agreement Comanche. :) My P220 is I think the third handgun I've bought (only started getting into them May of '07). Since then I have bought and sold quite a few handguns in that time frame, and the one I always keep coming back to is the P220. It just works, never fails, and is basically the Swiss 1911. ;) I got lucky and found mine for $450, and the nice thing is it's an older non-rail model (don't like the rail frames much, never had a use for 'em).

comanche

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Austin
    Yes HK, Mine is also an older non-rail. [I have plenty of flash lights, don't need one strapped to my gun(s).] It will shoot one ragged hole, off of bags.
    Hey, I just joined Lone Star Gun Range; $70/ year unlimited usage. Do ya'll go to Red's?

onac225, if it looks good(no scratches, ect) run some snap caps thru it for function test and chances are, if it is from a quality manufacturer; Sig, Kimber, HK, ect. you should be good to go. I would not recommend buying a used, cheap(low quality) gun.
    Even a beatup,scratched,ect. high quality gun; should be a great shooter. Hope this helps.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom