• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    My wife had me put up 4’ x 8’ privacy lattice panels attached to about 120’ of farm fence I had put up on our property line. The neighbors at that time had 9 dogs and 3 obnoxious kids who were always looking through the fence. The front 200’ is 6’ privacy pickets but it was the back area that she crowed about until I spent the money to put up the panels after trying to tell her that the wind resistance would put a tremendous stress on the fence posts and metal stakes that were spaced for 4” wire. I also did not want to spend another $4k to install privacy fence where it really wasn’t needed.

Anyway, since there are 15 panels and dozens of tie off points to the posts, stakes and fence wire, I chose to use heavy duty zip ties. For strength I used UV resistant 300 lb strength ties 14” and then cinched them tight and left a generous trim. I tried wire first but after experimenting with several gauges I couldn’t snug the panels tight enough to the fence.

A year later, I am constantly have to redo 3-5 panels every time we have a 30 mph north or south wind. It is pretty incredible how much force is on a vertical panel when you are trying to set one back in place in the wind. The so called UV resistant ties turn brittle in the sun and they snap in the wind.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what else I can use to tie the panels to the farm fence? Each panel needs to be secured at 9-10 points, some of them just to the 4” fence wire.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I didn't really understand what fencing material you were trying to tie. But I did understand that the zip ties you used became brittle. Have you thought about stainless steel zip ties? They are not very expensive. Amazon sells 100 12" stainless steel ties for $14. I tried to post a link, but couldn't figure out how to do it right.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My wife had me put up 4’ x 8’ privacy lattice panels attached to about 120’ of farm fence I had put up on our property line. The neighbors at that time had 9 dogs and 3 obnoxious kids who were always looking through the fence. The front 200’ is 6’ privacy pickets but it was the back area that she crowed about until I spent the money to put up the panels after trying to tell her that the wind resistance would put a tremendous stress on the fence posts and metal stakes that were spaced for 4” wire. I also did not want to spend another $4k to install privacy fence where it really wasn’t needed.

Anyway, since there are 15 panels and dozens of tie off points to the posts, stakes and fence wire, I chose to use heavy duty zip ties. For strength I used UV resistant 300 lb strength ties 14” and then cinched them tight and left a generous trim. I tried wire first but after experimenting with several gauges I couldn’t snug the panels tight enough to the fence.

A year later, I am constantly have to redo 3-5 panels every time we have a 30 mph north or south wind. It is pretty incredible how much force is on a vertical panel when you are trying to set one back in place in the wind. The so called UV resistant ties turn brittle in the sun and they snap in the wind.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what else I can use to tie the panels to the farm fence? Each panel needs to be secured at 9-10 points, some of them just to the 4” fence wire.
    I'd staple it from the wire side with 1/4" crown staples (a prong on each side of the wire) and bend the excess prongs over.

Get galvanized staples.

Pretty cheap and easy if you have access to the stapler.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Take down privacy fence.

Do everything outside while nude.

Neighbors will leave you alone if they think you are a weirdo.

:green:
    I wouldnt force that sight upon the worst neignbors. I look like someone with water balloons tied around their body

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    Another vote for safety wire. Maybe use a clamp-tite tool to lock it down?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    You can also try a spool of elecric fence wire. Ive used it a few times over the years to secure stuff.

This! Everybody should have a spool of aluminum electric fence wire. It’s handy to have around. I’d have to sell my farm if I couldn’t use that stuff.

You can find it at your local farm store like Tractor Supply or Atwood’s.

FYI, rebar ties are brittle and rust easily. They don’t last long out in the weather. Been there; done that.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Fence wire if it's just 30-50mph winds.

Higher winds I might consider something else. Once lived in a subdivision where houses had high sloped roofs and small backyards. Big storms would blow out the fence panels which were nailed due to the wind swirls. A few neighbors decided to "fix" that issue by clamping their panels onto the 4x4 posts. During the next big store their panels held but the posts broke off at the base.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Duct strap.
    I know you've already made a selection but you didn't wait for the correct reply. :green:

basset-products-straps-hangers-ds100-5-22b-64_1000.jpg

Top Bottom