Need to escape from Massachusetts and looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shadyduk1979, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Shadyduk1979

Shadyduk1979 New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Behind the iron curtain
    There is a lot of truth to what you are saying. My hope is to find something within a reasonable drive so if we wanted to do something we could. Currently if we want to go out to dinner and not be in a little pub we have to go about 45 minutes to a hour to do it.

I can't live in a city and neither can she. It's the family thing that's going to bother her. Unless I can convince her mom to retire a few years early and come with us. I'm working on that too since she wants to move south as well.

2. easy rider

easy rider TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Texas is a big state, in case you hadn't noticed, it has cities and also plenty of open areas. I will also say that the majority of Texans have much the same attitude, pretty much the "If you don't bother me, I won't bother you" attitude. As said above, if you find a rural area you like and don't venture into the big cities much, (Liberal areas), I'm sure you will find much of what you are looking for, and the winters aren't nearly as harsh! Oh, and by the way, Welcome to TGT!

3. Shadyduk1979

Shadyduk1979 New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Behind the iron curtain
    That's why I started with the long winded first post. I am positively overwhelmed with trying to find a area to look at. I assumed city dwellers would be the same progressives I am surrounded by here. The further you move from them the more reasonable land is.
    Where I live is a small glimmer of sanity. As time goes on that will change. All of the sudden there are prius's and smart cars driving around. People are selling their farms and subdivisions are going in their place. It's not a good sign.
    I don't mind the winters so much, but I am typically ready for them. Living in a rural area means you might not get plowed out quickly, and the power might go out for a few days during a storm. No big deal.

4. Kar98

Kar98 Active Member

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
  5. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with your move!

6. motorcarman

motorcarman Well-Known

Feb 13, 2015
    Decatur, TX
    Lyle Lovett has the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome

bob

Darkpriest667 likes this.
  7. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Since you're into cars, don't move to a county that does emissions testing.

This will help familiarize yourself with Texas ;)

Darkpriest667 likes this.
  8. Shadyduk1979

Shadyduk1979 New Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Behind the iron curtain
    Is that property a good price, cheap or expensive. The lots in that area looked decent

9. Brains

Brains Well-Known

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    Texas is a big ol' state, so that 3500/ac. is pretty average for where it is. It really depends on location. The closer to a population center, the pricier a big lot will be. So I'm on the outskirts of Houston, and my master planned subdivision lot is like $100k/ac. All that really means is my house and my lot occupy damned near the same square footage. Go get a huge tract down on the border, and you might only pay a few hundred an acre because it's really rough land.

What many people do, and what I'm personally looking to do, is live close to work and play an hour or so away from home. So I live near the city, 15 minutes door to door from my job, and I'm looking for acreage we can easily drive to Friday after work.

Texas has no income tax, so we make up for it with property tax more or less. However if you keep livestock, or do other agricultural things with your land, you can end up paying very little in property tax through an 'Ag exemption.'

10. Kar98

Kar98 Active Member

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I can't say it's a good or a bad price, I just posted it as an example of what's for sale at what prices. The further away you get from an actual city, the cheaper it will be.