• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I have an old car that has 10:5 / 1 compression and needs high octane fuel. I have been using 93 Shell with a 32oz bottle of Torco with mixed results. I still get some pinging which is no good.

We are in Frisco so this is the area where I wold like to find a decent source for race fuel. Ideally I would want 100 Octane Premium with no corn. Problem is that I will need to purchase a portable tank to carry the fuel as the car I have is not always in road worthy condition but still needs to run to tune.

Anyone have a source for race fuel that is close to Frisco?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have an old car that has 10:5 / 1 compression and needs high octane fuel. I have been using 93 Shell with a 32oz bottle of Torco with mixed results. I still get some pinging which is no good.

We are in Frisco so this is the area where I wold like to find a decent source for race fuel. Ideally I would want 100 Octane Premium with no corn. Problem is that I will need to purchase a portable tank to carry the fuel as the car I have is not always in road worthy condition but still needs to run to tune.

There is a Texaco station in Cresson at the entrance to Motorsport Ranch that has (had) 116 leaded,110,100 octane VP racing fuel at the pump,

I know it's not near Frisco, but ...

Last edited:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I've always heard that av-gas had additives not good for automobile motors.

I don't think it'll hurt the engines themselves per say, but it's the lead that's a problem when it comes to anything with o2 sensors or catalytic convertors. The lead will coat the internal surfaces and render them useless and eventually plug them up.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    A lot of current engines run in the 10.5 : 1 compression range without any problems on 93. I suggest that you look elsewhere. I had a friend rebuild his engine due to the knocking only to find the problem in his exhaust. Many current Chevrolet LS series engines run 10.2 to 10.9 from the factory. You may try changing your tune to be less aggressive.
    I had a Pontiac GTP (supercharged) that I thought had a knock. The knock only occurred under hard acceleration. It was under warranty so I took it to the dealer several times until one savvy mechanic found that it was a header leak, and replaced the gasket. No more problems.

Last edited:

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    TX69, just out of curiosity can you tell us a little more about you're ride? 68 Cuda running a 426 Hemi ?

BTW-I had an old Mopar, 383 ci, can't recall the compression of the top of my head. I put som 100LL AvGas in it for grins once, didn't really notice muc, but then again I wasn't pinging on the 93.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Used to get 118 from a private airport in Arlington. The shit ain't cheap, bring a wide mouth as can to because the knozzles are huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Higher octane fuel has less energy density, requiring more of it to produce the same power. Increased octane is a retardation of combustibility. E85 does not have nearly the same energy density of 89 or 93 octane. Diesel has the highest energy density of automotive fuels, and the additional energy gives higher mileage returns.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    The problem, though, is the "ll" in 100ll ... low lead. If that's an unleaded engine, which I'm sure it is, lead is NOT going to be good for it.

I've always heard that av-gas had additives not good for automobile motors.

I don't think it'll hurt the engines themselves per say, but it's the lead that's a problem when it comes to anything with o2 sensors or catalytic convertors. The lead will coat the internal surfaces and render them useless and eventually plug them up.

The car/motor is original factory and has never been apart. It came with a warning that it had to premium leaded fuel from the factory. At that time 97-100 premium leaded fuel was at every gas station. I use a lead substitute to help keep the valves in good shape. When I pay $4/ gallon, $22 Torco, $5 lead substitute I am at the top for fuel costs in this car. This mixture only gets me 18 gallons into one tank.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch

Yamaha dealer here in Boerne has 100 proof, no lead in 5 gals cans, so check the motorcycle dealers

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    If you can run e85 and tune for it, its the equivalent of 106 octane.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Environmentalists and car crafters make strange, if not odd-opposite, bedfellows. The greenies are all over this not-so-new, environmentally friendly, renewable resource ethanol fuel that even has GM pushing it in its television ads. So what's all the fuss about and why should it interest you? Forget about greenhouse gases and that whole Al Gore political football. The real reason is simple: E85 fuel is a combination of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline. Ethanol is an alcohol fuel made from the distillation of corn or other sugar-based carbohydrates, like beets or sugar cane. Straight ethanol has a race-gas-style octane rating of 115. Mixed with 15 percent 87-octane pump gas, E85 lowers this to between 103 and 105 and generally sells for less than 87-octane gasoline. You read that right. We're talking the equivalent of 105-octane race gas for the price of moose-piss pump gas.
    There's much more to this story that you need to know, and the devil is most definitely in the details, so you've got to read this whole story to get the facts straight. Yes, you'll have to modify your carburetor to use it; yes, your mileage might suffer by as much as 20 percent; and yes, E85 is not available everywhere-yet. But we successfully tested this stuff in a 12.5:1 compression small-block Chevy against race fuel, and we not only made good power, but we also made a little more torque to boot. Now are you interested? And if you're already thinking this might make a great fuel for a supercharged or turbocharged engine-congratulations-you're thinking like a true car crafter.

Read more: E85 Ethanol Fuel Test - Is E85 An Affordable Alternative To Race Gas? - Car Craft Magazine

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I have a flex fuel hemi dodge ram. Used E85 twice. Got less than 8 miles to the gallon compared to 16 with 87 octane. Cheaper yes, but very fuel insufficient.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Jut found a source that carries Toulene. Maybe I could try some in the 93 gas?

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    ^^Me, and a lot of other forced induction guys, tuned our gm ls based engines with turbos, and roots and centrifugal blowers with e85. Less knock and detonation = more boost, and more power. But, like stated, fuel economy SUCKS. I had a 440ci based ls with an 88mm turbo. 12xxrwhp in kill mode aka high boost. Electronic boost control
    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo

As others have stated you really shouldn't need to run 100oct. in a 10.5. Maybe fatten your tune a hair or pull a few degrees out up top. If its aluminum heads you definitely do not need it.

If its an original motor then it is probably not even 10.5 most motors were oversold.

Toulene will boost it, most oct. Boosters are toulene based or have it in there.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom