• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I have several different loads for 223 right get now in different buckets but I'm running out of room. Was thinking of ways to sort what I have so I can tell what's what. Right now I've got 500 of these, 1000 of those, 350 of this, 500 of that....

What do you guys use?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ammo cans. Either real ones of the cheap plastic ones from Walmart. Put a piece of masking tape on top saying what's in them.

Use them for bulk stuff like .223, 9mm, 7.62x39. If I have different loads I just label the load with as much detail as needed. Only case for me is 9mm subs vs 9mm supers. Different loads for either aren't a big deal to me since it's all plinking ammo.

For rifle loads they usually aren't loaded in overly large quantities and just go in to the cabelas or Midway plastic ammo cases labeled the same way but with all the load info.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Ammo cans. Either real ones of the cheap plastic ones from Walmart. Put a piece of masking tape on top saying what's in them.

Use them for bulk stuff like .223, 9mm, 7.62x39. If I have different loads I just label the load with as much detail as needed. Only case for me is 9mm subs vs 9mm supers. Different loads for either aren't a big deal to me since it's all plinking ammo.

For rifle loads they usually aren't loaded in overly large quantities and just go in to the cabelas or Midway plastic ammo cases labeled the same way but with all the load info.
    I keep all my pistol loads in ziplock bags inside ammo cans. 1 caliber per can. Some calibers have a few cans... The 223 is a little too pokey for the plastic bags though. I thought about the plastic 100 round boxes but wanted to ask here first and see if you guys had any suggestions.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The plastic boxes work well for things like .308 for me since I usually don't load a lot at once. Maybe 100-150 rounds.

Same for 300BO. I load enough to get me by for a while which usually isn't more than 50 rounds each of a few different loads. The plastic cases work well for those.

The rest that gets bulk loaded for plinking is just loose in the can. I don't really worry about exact amounts with that stuff and load more when the can gets light. And since the loads aren't tailored to anything in particular I don't bother keeping a subsonic 9mm load made with win231 separate from a subsonic load made with whatever other powder I had on hand at the time. I make sure the load functions in everything before loading large quantities also.

If I end up with a 9mm load for a specific purpose or firearm it would get its own can. I tend to go through it fast enough it's not worth dealing with a bunch of little boxes to store and transport.

.38 and .357 go in empty boxes left over from store bought ammo of the same caliber labeled with masking tape. I'm not fancy.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I'm using the plastic boxes for my Jap loads and was using them for my 7.62x39 loads since I only needed a few boxes for them. When I load 9s (which is the bulk of what I load and shoot) I load them in batches of 250, and usually only 50-100 at a time before moving them to a storage bag. Then when I finish that bag with 250 I label it.

I adjusted the amounts for other calibers so all of the bags stay about the same volume. 45 is 125-150/bag I think. 40s were 200/bag. 38s we're 150/bag, plus a couple plastic boxes for HP loads. This is probably the only 'neat' part of my reloading process... My bench is a mess right now.

I guess it's more overly cautious quality control on my part. That way if I screw up a charge load or seating depth I can stop and only have so many questionable at a time. Or at least as opposed to having a 50 Cal can with 1500 loose in it. I'd be too paranoid one bad round would slip through.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I keep all my pistol loads in ziplock bags inside ammo cans. 1 caliber per can. Some calibers have a few cans... The 223 is a little too pokey for the plastic bags though. I thought about the plastic 100 round boxes but wanted to ask here first and see if you guys had any suggestions.

I do this too. Get better bags or double them up for heavy or pointy rounds.

Plastic cases for my match rifle rounds though.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I found some 50rd boxes with styrofoam tray on Midway. There's another company that uses plastic trays but I can't seem to find a reasonable price on them or anyone who has both the trays and boxes. There's another company called repackbox. They sell flats you can fold up that hold 30 rounds. I might go that route. Seems like less trash to throw away and easily savable. They have 100 boxes for $25 direct from the mfg.

http://www.repackbox.com

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    35E7BEFC-9EEE-4980-9AE0-5C026A7A7D04.jpeg
    Empty brass is kept in clear plastic containers. Each is labeled but it is easy to see.

Small containers are peanut containers and hold close to 1000 rounds of loaded 9 mm, but they are almost to heavy for one handed use. Either size is available at walmart in the food storage section.

I grab a few hands full and put them in a plastic bag or the wide mouth plastic bottles that racquetballs come in. The three ball containers hold 175 rounds of loaded 9mm

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I use 50 cal. ammo cans. I like the metal ones, especially if you are gonna load them up heavy. Throw in a couple of silica packs for long term storage.

37466336230_a7e2e4fe51_c.jpg
    IMG_1948

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I use 50 cal. ammo cans. I like the metal ones, especially if you are gonna load them up heavy. Throw in a couple of silica packs for long time storage.

View attachment 130966 IMG_1948
    I have cans of all sizes. I'm looking for something to separate them in the ammo can though.

On a related note,check out this giant 30mm can I picked up. 50 Cal on top for size comparison. I'm using it for powder storage.
    03ccac80c8a5d71013fee451ab0cdf16.jpg

gummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Texas
    I use ammo cans as well. When I order bullets from RMR, they toss in a few business cards with a load data sheet printed on the back, so I always just fill one out and toss it in the ammo can.

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I put finished rounds in metal GI issue ammo cans with a Silica pack or two for long term storage. The high usage plinking stuff goes in the plastic ones from Walmart or harbor freight. Then I take the smaller racquetball containers with 100-175 rounds to the range.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I used Berry's (or whoever's) plastic boxes and then put them into ammo cans. the 30mm can holds a bunch of them and I preferred those. I just printed out a standard label using Avery removable stock, then I'd fill in the info when loading, add the chrono data (if I tested), and when I was done I could peel the label and put it in my load notebook or toss it. Easy to keep track of what's in each box (100 rounds of 9/40/45) and they stack nicely.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I bought 100 boxes and trays from Top Brass a couple years ago, and split it with my buddy.

I made labels using mailing labels, and I keep the template on my computer.

I bought colored labels, which helps me sort by caliber and load.

Looks like Midway has paper storage boxes too. Package 5,000 rounds for $50

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Simple - I have 2 brands of brass for 223.
    1. Remington for accuracy and hunting loads (kept in boxes of once fired and new brass)

2. LC for plinkin and experimental rounds, as LC brass is tough, (all in one big box as they are new brass)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have fairly large amounts for 223, so I use different ammo cans for different loads.

I use the ammo can magnet labels from the site sponsor. But I write on it with marker for the specific round. "62 FMJ". "55 SP". Etc.

I don't care if it's only half full. Those cans go up and down in column, but the same ammo goes together regardless of whether it's a load I did, or bought some where. For example, I really like the Dallas Reloaders 55g SP, and often get that for near what I load it for. But I buy 1000 at a crack when I buy it.

When I go to the range, I have a canvas bag I scoop some into.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I got the 223 repack boxes. They are ok but I noticed there's 1 tab that's a pretty tight fit. I packed up about 25 boxes so far though.

I emailed the mfg about the tight tab and they emailed back that they would look into it. He also offered me some 9mm boxes at a discount and gave me a code to use so I just bought 100 of those, too. They are a little different design than the rifle boxes are. I'll let you know how they go.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom