• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a friend that inherited firearms from her papa. She wants to sell many of them and I picked up a few.

One I gave her what he paid (he kept detailed information) with the promise that I would pay her extra if I found it to be worth much more than that price.

I need a little help determining it's normal market value (not crazy Corona value but that could be helpful too).

I believe it's a Norinco Paratrooper SKS but no clue if it qualifies as Pre-ban. It doesn't have the normal SKS bayonet and takes AK47 magazines. I can private message the serial number too if that makes a difference.

I don't trust my normal pricing sources as everything on the market is screwed up right now. So any help making sure she gets a fair price would be appreciated.

She has a few others that I may need help with as well and will list them separately.
    319c458735a2028b8dbfd77eefddbd3c.jpg
    88bda65a981eb68cfcefc7879fc39ce3.jpg
    af7f8a8ecdeb6c8ee246260b6cc00921.jpg
    Target Sports

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    If I remember they always stuck with similar pricing to Russian sks’s.

The more expensive list was always this:
    Most valuable: Romanian.
    Second most valuable tended to lean towards nice condition Russians. Then I’d say the Chinese Type M.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    SKS’s have gone up a lot in the last ten years.
    Pre rice rabies they were going for ~$400.
    The rarer versions for $500.
    Nowadays I’m seeing $700-800 asking prices on standard late production Norinco’s. That’s crazy but people seem to be paying it.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    SKS’s have gone up a lot in the last ten years.
    Pre rice rabies they were going for ~$400.
    The rarer versions for $500.
    Nowadays I’m seeing $700-800 asking prices on standard late production Norinco’s. That’s crazy but people seem to be paying it.
    This is pretty much true, but @Dawico has a Norinco SKS-M, which is one of the rarer versions.
    This was probably $700 a year ago.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Always wanted one of those.

I was gonna say 550 now cause they were 4 to 450 about 18 months ago. Slightly more than regular chicoms could be found for. But I'm sure people are paying 7 bills or more somewhere. That said I think a fair avarage is 550 to 600. IMHO. I wouldnt pay panic pricing but that's just me.

ETA, A quick gun broker check shows post ban sks m's in the 650 to 750 range with preban versions closer to 1500 bucks.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    More info on the breakdown of various "pre/post ban" SKS variants. Essentially SKS-Ms are all made to get around the import ban by having a shortened barrel with no bayonet lug.

If you price out SKS-Ms, you'll have your target.

Looking over Gunbroker, it doesn't seem like prices have inflated much at all on this variant. Which is kind of interesting.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Even more info on the SKS-M:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yep, a SKS-M with a Monte Carlo stock. I had one, as a well as a thumbhole stock version. Great shooters! The shorter barrel makes them more "handy!"

I think I bought mine while they were in the $450-550 range but I will have to check my records when I get home. I suspect due to their "rarity" they would easily be in the $800-1000 range today.

These were specifically-made for export.

From my notes...

The Chinese SKS‑D is the “pre-ban” version that has a standard length barrel, a bayonet lug and attached spike bayonet, and a standard stock (with a steel filler plate in front of the magazine well). Actually, there is no official rifle as an SKS‑D. Since the SKS‑D has no specific markings on the receiver, dealers coined this term in order to differentiate these rifles from the fixed magazine ones. Some people continue to use the term “SKS‑D” to refer to any SKS that uses an AK magazine.

The Chinese SKS‑M is the “post-ban” version, typically with a shortened ‘Paratrooper’ barrel and without a bayonet lug. The SKS‑M was equipped with either a thumbhole style stock or a fancy Monte Carlo style stock. These will usually have either “SKS Sporter”, “SKS M”, “SKS NR”, or “MC 5D” stamped on the side of the receiver.

It has been reported that the following variations exist:

• SKS Factory modified at factory taking several different factory markings and reducing the barrel to 16 inches, and shortening the bayonet. These are the “Navy” (imported by Navy Arms) or “Type 84” rifles they have a bolt hold open of either a pin or a button detent.
    • SKS‑D: 20-inch barrel, standard stock, detachable bayonet, with striper clip guide, and serialized with a 4-digit or 5-digit serial number and all components are marked as well. Note that the earlier units are reported to have the 5-digit serial numbers.
    • SKS‑D: 20-inch barrel, standard stock, detachable bayonet, without striper clip guide, and serial numbers starting with 88 (having 7-8 digits). Some of the components on some of the rifles are not serialized. Some “88” serial numbered rifles were caught up in customs when the 1989 ban was imposed, these were required to have the bayonet mount removed before being released to the US distributor. Note: Of course, bayonet mounts have been removed for various reasons — So just because a particular rifle doesn't have a bayonet mount, doesn't mean the rifle is one of the ones that were “caught up in customs”.
    • SKS‑M: Post ban type rifles with no striper clip guide, no bayonet and equipped with either a fancy Monte Stock or one of four or five different thumbhole stocks (with either wide or narrow forearms, black painted cuts in the pistol grip or with smooth pistol grip, rear sling mount at the bottom or on the side). These have serial numbers that start with the year imported. These were imported in both 16-inch and 20-inch versions. These rifles will usually have either “SKS Sporter”, “SKS NR”, or “SKS M” stamped on the side of the receiver. However, some just marked “SKS imported by <XYZ>”. The 20-inch version is very scarce. All of the 20-inch models reported to date are marked “SKS M”, have fancy Monte stocks, and have serial numbers starting with “94”.
    • MC 5D: These are assumed to have been imported without any “SKS markings” to get past the ban imposed on SKS Carbines with detachable magazines by the state of California. These are equipped with a fancy Monte Carlo stock and a magazine release that looks like it’s for a standard fixed magazine rifle. Note: some folks claim this variant is stamped with “MC 50”, but those who actually own one have confirmed it is “MC 5D”.
    • A number of companies provided aftermarket conversion of fixed magazine SKS Carbines to utilize AK-47 magazines. These can typically be recognized because they continue to use the standard fixed magazine SKS Carbine magazine release..
    • Added category: First conversion by Midwest Ordnance. This is the one that the Chinese came over and looked at then went back and made the 84's and then the D's. It was sold in the ATI folder stock with a filler in the mag well, 20-inch barrel, and bayonet.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom