• ...and so much more!
  • Tumbleweed21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    My 22 lr version is very good however very particular to a certain position
    of screw tightening on forearm, I've read that some use a rubber washer
    under forearm screw.

I own a newer H and R handi rifle in 223 I consistently get 5/8 inch groups with my hand loads and this is with 55 grain fmj. I would guess that it would shoot a bit better groups with a premium bullet. However I do believe the rifle will out shoot me. I love the simplicity of the single shot rifle it is the only single shot I own. I would not hesitate to recommend one of these little rifles to my friends. One thing about a single shot, it makes me want to take the time to get that first shot just right. Makes me practice what the Corps taught me. LOL!!
    Gun Zone Deals

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    Here's a few of my Handis, but I only know for sure the top one is in .45-70 and the bottom one is a .22 Hornet.

Handirifles.jpg

I change stocks and receivers quite a bit, so it's hard to identify them by looking.

I think I only have one extractor model in .45 Colt, the rest are all ejectors. The .223 I have likes Winchester white box 45 gr Varminters and I've had a hard time loading anything that does better in terms of accuracy. Mine is a 1 in 12", but it will shoot the Hornady 60 gr V-Max very well (it's designed for 1 in 12" barrels).

Handis seem to be finicky about forearm pressure and usually do better with the barrel being floated. I use air cooled VW oil drain plate washers to shim my barrels off of the forearm. Rubber washers let the forearm move too much. If they don't shoot well, you can remove the forearm and try it that way to tell if it's a matter of floating. Just rest the gun back on the receiver, in front of the trigger guard, when you shoot.

The transfer bar also needs to be in its proper place when you shoot and make sure you include follow through. Otherwise, you can get light firing pin strikes and FTF.

Darryle

Crazy old Coot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have a couple. Here is the latest one I am refinishing, a NEF laminate 243.

Pallet Wood Laminate stocks are hideous, nothing like the cinnamon or yellow laminates.

Here is the before on the stock set:

PIC_6412.png

This thing is hideous without finish. Looks like #2 pine, sands like concrete.

Few big low spots I had to block sand out:

tu7uje2y.jpg

Nearly there:

vynuneja.jpg

e8ugyvab.jpg

Then I sanded, whiskered, sanded some more, whiskered some more and then applied some stain, Early American Minwax.

This is 15 minutes after first coat. Liking it so far.

ubejy3yp.jpg

Way better than the original finish:

5eda6e6y.jpg

Last edited:

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I really don't have a problem with the synthetic stocks, but I do have several that are sporting "classic" walnut stocks. Here's a .357 Mag and a .223 with synthetic.

HPIM0473.jpg

I think my .25-06 is on laminated stocks.

Top Bottom