• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    La Porte,Texas USA
    I picked up a new .223 handi Rifle this past weekend. Model SB2
    Mine has a twenty-two inch standard barrel. I don't know yet what the barrel twist rate is. Who here has experience with this rifle and what does it like factory ammo wise? Also, what is the most accurate hand load? Thanks in advance for your response. :)

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had one in .308 that I liked a lot. I handloaded with it and got great results. This was the target from when I sighted my scope in. The two shots on the right were still sight-in shots. The cluster in the middle is a 3 shot group at 100 yards. Thats a standard rifle target.

308groupvs3.jpg

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    It is a single shot so you can shoot the cheap stuff(Monarch) without an issue.For accuracy I would shoot some Hornady or Federal.Those are fun to shoot.

TexasGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    La Porte,Texas USA
    picture.php
    picture.php

picture.php

I can not disobey orders from the Gunny. Here are the pics. I will probably put a scope (3-9x40) on her thursday evening and try her out Friday on the 100 yard, on "Range Day". I will sight in at 25 yards first. I will most likely shoot some 55gr nosler ballistic tips. I think these will work real well. I roll my own. I plan to tune her to a sub MOA.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Sweet rifle.I am looking at getting one just to have something for my non gun owner friends to shoot while I shoot my ARs and 45s.They are good rifles and are affordable.

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    Surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot. Ejection of the spent brass can be...........brisk.:eek: Make sure it goes over your shoulder and not into your chin. Ask me how I know this.

I also have a 30.06 barrel for mine and a 12 gauge rifled slug barrel. The .06 punishes on both ends but would love to have a 45-70 for it. The slug barrel has irons but it is very hard to get a good cheek weld on the stock the way it is set up. A scope or a red dot of some kind might work better. It would be a good rig for a slug only state.

I passed up a .22 for $105 a few years ago and have always wished I had picked it up. A buddy has one in .17 and it is amazing.

Best bang for the buck out there today.

TexasGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    La Porte,Texas USA
    update:

Just mounted a new Leupold 3-9x40 rifleman gold ring tonight. Should have range report by friday late evening. Plan on shooting some 55gr FMJBT and Nosler Ballistic tip ammo.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    My 22 lr version is very good however very particular to a certain position
    of screw tightening on forearm, I've read that some use a rubber washer
    under forearm screw.

TexasGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    La Porte,Texas USA
    Range Report:

Surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot. Ejection of the spent brass can be...........brisk.:eek: Make sure it goes over your shoulder and not into your chin. Ask me how I know this.

I also have a 30.06 barrel for mine and a 12 gauge rifled slug barrel. The .06 punishes on both ends but would love to have a 45-70 for it. The slug barrel has irons but it is very hard to get a good cheek weld on the stock the way it is set up. A scope or a red dot of some kind might work better. It would be a good rig for a slug only state.

I passed up a .22 for $105 a few years ago and have always wished I had picked it up. A buddy has one in .17 and it is amazing.

Best bang for the buck out there today.

Range Report:

Today was range day and we shot our dependable Glocks they went bang each time you squeezed the trigger of course. 350 times!

Now here is my report for the Handi; not the best. First I did not have one round that actually ejected from the chamber. I pulled each one out when I opened the chamber. Are they supposed to eject clear?

68gr first match HPBT zeroed at 25yds
    55gr Nosler Ballistic tip zeroed at 25yds
    55gr XM193 FMJ 07' I had about 5 rds out of 40 FTF
    (could be military primer to hard) I refired all but one of the five.

From the bench I shot on the average a 2-3 MOA 100yds. I used a new Leupold 3-9x40 rifleman scope.

It looks like I will have to do some research and develop a load for this Handi .223.

Several of us tried our skill out to 100 yards. Wind was not a great factor.
    Could it be my markmanship. I did not have consistent groups once I was down to my M193 55gr stuff out to the 100yd.

I don't think it was me, my Colt AR15 6920 hits consistent x rings at that range.
    I will practice and work on this Handi. ? Anyone, any suggeastions?

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The primers on that military stuff might be a little hard for your rifle, that might be why you got a few FTF. Not to mention, that is a .223 chambered rifle, I know military 5.56 has slightly different chamber dimensions. It also operates at a higher pressure, but I doubt that will be an issue with the tight lock-up on that gun.

Stick with .223 is my recommendation, and as far as the ejection, I know there is a way to convert them to extractor only, so maybe someone did that. It also might have come that way for that model, I don't know.

redneckhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    lake o the pines , tx
    i have the 223 rem in a nef hadi rifle
    it has a 1-9 twist barrel and it hates the 55 grain of any kind of bullets and powder:(
    ive tried 63 gr with imr 4895 with a little better luck but not happy with that so.. i am trying some 69 gr sierra hpbt match bullets , will let you know what happens with this load.
    mine also is the bull barrel

TexasGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    La Porte,Texas USA
    handi loads

the handi rifle did a lil better with the 69 grn sierra hpbt bullets , about 1 in @ 100 yds atill going to work with this load a bit tho.......:D

I will try this as soon as I can get that rifle out of the safe. I've been busy with IDPA stuff lately. A 1 MOA would satisfy me fine.

Thanks for the feedback:patriot:

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    They changed all guns from ejector barrels to extractor barrels a year or so back, so it depends on when yours was made.

I have eight Handi-rifles in different calibers and they all perform well above their price range. I'm hoping Remington (who recently acquired H&R/NEF along with Marlin) will infuse them with some different offerings.

Mine include:

.22 Hornet
    .243 Win
    7.62x39mm
    .357 Mag
    .35 Whelen
    .44 Mag
    .45/70 Gov't
    .500 Mag

There is a forum dedicated to the NEFs, with lots of tips for improving trigger pulls and accuracy here:
    Graybeard Outdoors - Index

Pow Pow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    My best handload for my NEF Handi 223

It seems all the reloading data for the 223 is either for 1:12 or 1:7.5 twist. Not much info is available or shared that is specific to a 1:9 twist.

After several months of following the conventional wisdom (62-77 grain bullets in a 1:9) and trying the heavier Sierras and Bergers, and various powders, the best load for my NEF 223 heavy barrel 1:9 twist is:

52 gr HDY HPBT
    26.8 gr Varget
    CCI450 primer
    OAL = 58.5mm
    My best 3 shot group was 8mm.
    est vel is 3000 fps +/- 50 fps

My second best load was:
    65gr SIE GK SBT
    24.4 gr Varget
    same primer and length
    10 shots fit under a quarter.
    2770 fps

I am tapping these together with a Lee Classic Handloader kit and weighing each charge with the inexpensive Lee grain scale. I sent a lot of paper to paper heaven in the process. Now I just need to go shoot something far away and tasty.

peabody304

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    I've been thinking about getting one for a while now. I would like to get one (or two) in a caliber I already own. .223 or 30-06 might be the way to go.

Does anyone have any experience shooting the Greek surplus 30-06 in a handi-rifle?

-peabody304

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom