• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    There are two kinds of people, those that have had a negligent discharge and those that will have a negligent discharge.
    We all have been taught gun safety and we all practice gun safety. But sometimes we get careless or distracted and BOOM! It has happened to me once. I hope it was my first and last.

I had recently finished building my 3rd or 4th AR, the one that I would use for home defense. Oh, it was something, light weight, fast handling, accurate. I had it beside the bed ready for action should I need it. I had read about a fellow that had bought the latest, baddest, tactical, operator inspired charging handle that had ever been made. Well, I needed one of those to make my AR and my life complete. I whipped out my credit card and placed my order.
    The day finally arrived and my super duper charging handle had arrived. I rushed to the bedroom and grabbed the AR. It had a loaded magazine in it but the chamber was empty. I pushed out the takedown pin and broke it open. I removed the bolt and charging handle, grabbed the new charging handle and put it back together. In my rush, I did not remove the magazine.
    I grabbed that new, sweet charging handle and pulled it back. Wow, what a great feeling. How did I ever survive without one of these before? I released the handle and let the bolt slam home. The muzzle was pointed toward the floor and I pulled the trigger. BOOM!!!!
    All kinds of thoughts rushed through my feeble brain at one time; I can't believe I did that, Hmm, that wasn't as loud as I thought it would be, Oh shit, there's another round in the chamber, What will I tell the wife? Well, the wife was yelling asking if I just shot a gun in the house. Of course not, it was just a blank round one of the guys gave me.
    The round went through the carpet and the carpet closed up and no hole was visible. Wow, I'm home free, shook up but I think I've gotten away with it.
    Fast forward about an hour and a half and I notice it's getting warmer in the house. I check the thermostat and everything is running but not cooling. Oh, shit, I shot through the AC line. I grab my phone and go outside and call a buddy and ask if he knows a good AC guy. He tells me to call his cousin. I told my buddy what had happened and all I could hear was uncontrollable laughter. Haha, yeah, it's funny.
    I called the AC guy and told him what happened and of course he had to laugh for a few minutes. I told him to fix it and not say a word about what had happened. He laughed more and agreed.
    I had centered a freon line perfectly. He replaced the line and charged the system up. I paid him and he left. This was about 5 years ago and to this day my wife still doesn't know what happened. On the following Sunday I went to my buddy's range, as always, and they already had a plaque made up with the section of line with the hole and a sign that read One Shot, One Kill. What pals! Oh, I still haven't found that round of brass.

Will any of you admit to a negligent discharge?
    Capitol Armory ad

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    There are two kinds of people, those that have had a negligent discharge and those that will have a negligent discharge.
    We all have been taught gun safety and we all practice gun safety. But sometimes we get careless or distracted and BOOM! It has happened to me once. I hope it was my first and last.

I had recently finished building my 3rd or 4th AR, the one that I would use for home defense. Oh, it was something, light weight, fast handling, accurate. I had it beside the bed ready for action should I need it. I had read about a fellow that had bought the latest, baddest, tactical, operator inspired charging handle that had ever been made. Well, I needed one of those to make my AR and my life complete. I whipped out my credit card and placed my order.
    The day finally arrived and my super duper charging handle had arrived. I rushed to the bedroom and grabbed the AR. It had a loaded magazine in it but the chamber was empty. I pushed out the takedown pin and broke it open. I removed the bolt and charging handle, grabbed the new charging handle and put it back together. In my rush, I did not remove the magazine.
    I grabbed that new, sweet charging handle and pulled it back. Wow, what a great feeling. How did I ever survive without one of these before? I released the handle and let the bolt slam home. The muzzle was pointed toward the floor and I pulled the trigger. BOOM!!!!
    All kinds of thoughts rushed through my feeble brain at one time; I can't believe I did that, Hmm, that wasn't as loud as I thought it would be, Oh shit, there's another round in the chamber, What will I tell the wife? Well, the wife was yelling asking if I just shot a gun in the house. Of course not, it was just a blank round one of the guys gave me.
    The round went through the carpet and the carpet closed up and no hole was visible. Wow, I'm home free, shook up but I think I've gotten away with it.
    Fast forward about an hour and a half and I notice it's getting warmer in the house. I check the thermostat and everything is running but not cooling. Oh, shit, I shot through the AC line. I grab my phone and go outside and call a buddy and ask if he knows a good AC guy. He tells me to call his cousin. I told my buddy what had happened and all I could hear was uncontrollable laughter. Haha, yeah, it's funny.
    I called the AC guy and told him what happened and of course he had to laugh for a few minutes. I told him to fix it and not say a word about what had happened. He laughed more and agreed.
    I had centered a freon line perfectly. He replaced the line and charged the system up. I paid him and he left. This was about 5 years ago and to this day my wife still doesn't know what happened. On the following Sunday I went to my buddy's range, as always, and they already had a plaque made up with the section of line with the hole and a sign that read One Shot, One Kill. What pals! Oh, I still haven't found that round of brass.

Will any of you admit to a negligent discharge?
    Does your wife ever look through this forum?

jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    I’ve always been strict about safety rules and glad I was years ago when I was walking up a hill with a brand new wonder 9 in the 80s and BAM! A round impacted the hill about 4 feet in front of me. Thought it was empty when it wasn’t but at least it was pointed in a safe direction. Since that day I’m adamant about double checking chambers. Even at a gun store when I just watched them clear before handing it to me I still check it!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Hoji that’s busting me up every time. Lol

Lol if we fallow fundamentals and turn that into muscle memory, we don’t have nd’s.

When I handle my guns I check them even when I obviously know the status of said guns. I know what guns are loaded and what aren’t...however, I ignore that. I check and apply the basic rule. Why? When you don’t do something all the time you don’t develop muscle memory. In fact you’re muscle memory will revert. This is true with many things in life. Solution? Check your weapon each and every time, even if you put a gun back in your safe and go get it again five minutes later. You’re muscle memory will thank you.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    DBD506E5-F3AE-4F66-83BC-69A7A3E997CE.jpeg

Attachments

• DBD506E5-F3AE-4F66-83BC-69A7A3E997CE.jpeg
      DBD506E5-F3AE-4F66-83BC-69A7A3E997CE.jpeg
      13.2 KB · Views: 393