• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaRedneck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Linky... Outdoor News

A grand jury will decide whether charges should be filed in a road rage case that involved one man tossing a bowl of oatmeal at another man who had pulled a pistol, Texas City police said.

The incident happened about 9 a.m. Monday on state Highway 146 near Loop 197 in Texas City.

A 49-year-old man and his wife were driving northbound on state Highway 146 in their red Mercedes, while their 20-year-old daughter followed in a black Mercedes, according to police reports.

The father reported looking in his rearview mirror and noticing a man in a white Chevy pickup too close to his daughter’s car.

The father told police he saw the truck driver flailing his arms in an “agitated state,” Capt. Brian Goetschius said.

The father pulled over to the side of the road, as did his daughter. The driver of the truck kept going, but the father gave chase.

“There was evidentially some swerving between the two vehicles, and the two exchanged words and were cussing at each other,” Goetschius said.

The two men pulled over near the Highway 146 overpass at Loop 197, where both got out of the car.

The driver of the truck got out first and had a bowl of oatmeal in his hand, according to police records.

The driver of the Mercedes grabbed his pistol and confronted the driver of the truck.

“Fearing for his safety, (the driver of the truck) tossed his bowl of oatmeal at (the man with the gun) to distract him and get away,” said Goetschius, reading from the police reports.

During the argument, Pct. 5 Constable Mike Montez drove up and took the pistol away from the 49-year-old Texas City man, who police confirmed had a concealed handgun permit.

Initially, the gun owner was arrested but was not charged. After spending the morning in jail, he was released with no charges.

Goetschius said the case would be referred to a grand jury to determine whether any charges would be filed.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    This is the reason we need to legalize concealed oatmeal carry. How would I defend myself in this situation without oatmeal?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Who cares if the guy had a CHL??? Motorist protection act would have him covered for the gun in the car. I think he will be considered lucky if no charges end up being filed.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    From that account, he did screw up. Oatmeal is not a lethal threat, and it almost sounds like he may have come out of his car with the pistol already drawn.

Plus, since he was the one that pursued the pickup (remember they pulled over, and it passed by), if I were on that Grand Jury things would not be looking too good for him!

CHL or not, there was no reason to brandish a weapon even over a bowl of oatmeal (and who eats a bowl of oatmeal when driving?!?).

Cheers! M2

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Legal right to carry or no - the gun owner was a moron (or at least suffered really poor judgment) for pulling the gun and escalating the situation. Wonder what this genius would have done if the Constable hadn't showed?

People like this guy make the rest of us look bad.

TexasTrader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    South Texas
    This story doesnt add up. First how doest the guy with the gun know what was in the bowl? It could have been anything!! (flamable accelerats even)
    Second, lets see any of you act like the guy in the truck around a LEO. He could have had a pez despenser in his hand and would probably be dead right now. This is all too one sided. Leave it to sheep to fallow news reports. Im not saying the gun toter is right for letting the situation get this far, but he deffinatley isnt wrong for feeling like he needed to protect himself. I highly doubt the man witht the oatmeal had th foresight to know that the other man had a gun. Who gets out the truck with a bowl of oatmeal when your in a confrontation?

This kinda story reminds me of when police shoot people for presenting a weapon and they kill the perp. finding out later that it was a wallet, cellphone or even a spray nossel connected to a hose. Just my .02cents. I cant say I would start grabbing for my gun in this situation, but in situations where I had to are the reasons im still here today.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Like MajorMadMax touched on earlier, if the story is accurate, the CHL was an idiot for escalating the situation!
    The story says that the truck driver drove on past after CHL and daughter pulled over, and then the CHL gave chase and pursued "Mr. Oatmeal".

If he had not done that, the situation would have been little more than most of our regular stories about bad drivers we encounter daily.

Carry, act like Billy Badass because you know you've got your weapon to back you up, and face the consequences from any jury with even a drop of common sense!

Top Bottom