• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I bought ammo at Walmart today too. Asked the same question. Guy replied that it's 1200 rounds. Where else you gonna get 1200 rounds. With the three box limit you can buy three of them. No thanks. I'll buy the three boxes of Tula for 10 bucks each.

Some people have such a limited view of what is out there.
    Lynx Defense

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    $150 for the can? :-) Walmart will sometimes play to the mathematically challenged.

Generally you don't get to the income level where you can afford that much bulk ammo if you are mathematically challenged though. There are certainly exceptions but I doubt it's enough for wally world to fleece enough people to make it worth their while to take up that much space in their lock cases.

Prolly exactly right. It's about 3-4 months too late for the overpay crowd.

Anyone else find irony in people stocking up overpriced FMJ during panics? I seriously doubt anyone is going to hold us to the Geneva Convention in a civil war situation (especially since most of the rest of the civilized world is going to be in turmoil too if and when the dollar collapses). Better off stocking up on lead FN that you can put a hollow point in and learning to reload if you are worried about bulk ammo for wartime.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Generally you don't get to the income level where you can afford that much bulk ammo if you are mathematically challenged though. There are certainly exceptions but I doubt it's enough for wally world to fleece enough people to make it worth their while to take up that much space in their lock cases.

Anyone else find irony in people stocking up overpriced FMJ during panics? I seriously doubt anyone is going to hold us to the Geneva Convention in a civil war situation (especially since most of the rest of the civilized world is going to be in turmoil too if and when the dollar collapses). Better off stocking up on lead FN that you can put a hollow point in and learning to reload if you are worried about bulk ammo for wartime.

I am sure that not everyone buying ammo was buying for wartime or worse.
    Some may have been buying bulk FMJ to hedge their range/practice supply in case of an extended price increase or diminish in supply.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    saw here too (Montgomery) - the WMT "guy" said they'll start getting more foreign junk now that the last lead smelter is closing (?)

EPA Closure of Last Lead Smelting Plant to Impact Ammunition Production

It's my understanding that ammunition manufacturers didn't even get their lead from this smelter. After a bit of research, I've come to the conclusion that the only way the closing of this smelter will increase ammunition prices, is that people cause another panic by believing ammo cost will rise, and go out and buy up and hoard all of the ammo again.

Here's a, more, well balanced article that puts everything else I've read on the matter, in a nut shell.
    Rumor Check: Did Obama Close a Lead Plant in Order to Enact ?Backdoor? Gun Control? | TheBlaze.com

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    It's my understanding that ammunition manufacturers didn't even get their lead from this smelter. After a bit of research, I've come to the conclusion that the only way the closing of this smelter will increase ammunition prices, is that people cause another panic by believing ammo cost will rise, and go out and buy up and hoard all of the ammo again.

Here's a, more, well balanced article that puts everything else I've read on the matter, in a nut shell.
    Rumor Check: Did Obama Close a Lead Plant in Order to Enact ?Backdoor? Gun Control? | TheBlaze.com

It goes back and forth, depending on the source. Seems that the more "anti gun" sources claim that all ammo comes from recycled lead, while more "pro gun" sources claim that ammo comes from recycled lead for some, but also out of this plant as well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, the led had to be "cycled" before it could be REcycled.

AHHH, it's true!!!!! I gotta go to Walmart NOW!!! Before Bama closes the copper plants and we can't get American made copper jackets fer my Japanese lead burrets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'nnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!1

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    It goes back and forth, depending on the source. Seems that the more "anti gun" sources claim that all ammo comes from recycled lead, while more "pro gun" sources claim that ammo comes from recycled lead for some, but also out of this plant as well.

I haven't seen ANY pro gun claiming it comes from this smelter. The Blaze is pro gun too. Ammunition companies also state they receive lead from "secondary smelters". Looks to me like it is definitely something to be aware about, but mostly just a reaction from the gun community based off of fear. I'd say, out of the many articles I've read, this one has it right. Most others aren't offering much other info, other than, "lead smelter shutdown means ammo will be no more!!!".

Last edited:

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I haven't seen ANY pro gun claiming it comes from this smelter. The Blaze is pro gun too. Ammunition companies also state they receive lead from "secondary smelters". Looks to me like it is definitely something to be aware about, but mostly just a reaction from the gun community based off of fear. I'd say, out of the many articles I've read, this one has it right. Most others aren't offering much other info, other than, "lead smelter shutdown means ammo will be no more!!!".

NRA -

Last U.S. Lead Smelter to Close, Ammunition Manufacturing to Feel Effects

The Herculaneum smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in Missouri’s extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its “primary” designation. The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead product producers, including ammunition manufactures for use in conventional ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers. Several “secondary” smelters, where lead is recycled from products such as lead acid batteries or spent ammunition components, still operate in the United States.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012

Read that one too, which seems to be the main one going round. Let's just say this place DOES produce lead for ammunition. Could it possibly result in ammo prices going up? Especially since the main ones get it from secondary recycles lead smelters. So far, I don't believe it will, at all. It's definitely an interesting topic and I'll keep digging for good info. Till then, I'm not worried about it. I'll keep you posted on any new useful info. I just hope this doesn't start more panic buying.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Not "worried" about it because after all, there's not much I can do about it. However, I am "worried" that this will have an affect on a lot of things down the line. We keep giving our means of national independence to foreign countries. How long until they quit selling to us? When that happens, then we've got even bigger issues than just ammo. It's all about the big picture.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Not "worried" about it because after all, there's not much I can do about it. However, I am "worried" that this will have an affect on a lot of things down the line. We keep giving our means of national independence to foreign countries. How long until they quit selling to us? When that happens, then we've got even bigger issues than just ammo. It's all about the big picture.

Oh yea, I agree. I just wish enough people cared like most on this forum do and we wouldn't have to worry about that. I'll pay a bit more to help keep a small business afloat. Especially if the product is American made. We all need to do that. Show corporations we want American. Show big brother we want our independence.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom