• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David Buskirk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    The woodlands
    So my name is David. I made the mistake of rushing into this site and not fully understanding the rules. I tried to sell a gun in the wrong thread and without the proper authorization. Anyway I'm a 27 year old who has been shooting since I was 15 without knowing a damn thing about guns. I was handed a gun and I shot it with decent accuracy. I am now married and want my wife to be able to protect herself while I'm at work. I need to know what gun with what ammo is best and I am slowly learning.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of good knowledge here based off member experience. I'm constantly learning myself. Looking forward to seeing you post more on here!

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Hey David,

Sorry if you thought I was harsh on you in that ad. We have a lot of spammers and such, so generally we tend to be a bit rough around the collar on the issue. Welcome to the forums, glad you're on board.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    Welcome to TGT, I saw your attempt at a sale. At least you didn't run away from the forum when you were corrected. As for your question, I suggest having your wife at LEAST go to a store like academy or cabela's and see how different guns feel in her hand, then take her to the range to rent and test fire a few.

David Buskirk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    The woodlands
    I'm not here to spam and when I'm in the wrong I will take my lick and move on. I took my wife to the range and the amazed me with the 22 so I rented her a 9 mm and she did well there as well she is a natural. I couldn't be happier!! I can't wait for date night to hit the range now a days

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Welcome to TGT, I saw your attempt at a sale. At least you didn't run away from the forum when you were corrected. As for your question, I suggest having your wife at LEAST go to a store like academy or cabela's and see how different guns feel in her hand, then take her to the range to rent and test fire a few.

^^^That^^^......it's a good way to ease into what is the right fit and compatable for her, dont just go out and buy her one and say, "here it is, get to shooting"

David Buskirk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    The woodlands
    Yea she didn't do so well with a 35 special so I figure that's to "big" for her. There's a gun range close to use that you can rent different guns to shoot. I'm in the process of finding her the perfect gun.

David Buskirk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    The woodlands
    Yea. I've been looking for CCI mini mag ammo for too long. You can buy the gun but they don't have the ammo. What good is that? It'll calm down though. Sooner or later

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey David,

Welcome to TGT. You gotta have a thick skin around here and most of us do. Except for me, I am a warm and cuddly, friendly kind of guy......snicker.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yea she didn't do so well with a 35 special so I figure that's to "big" for her. There's a gun range close to use that you can rent different guns to shoot. I'm in the process of finding her the perfect gun.

I'm betting you meant .38 special.

It's not always caliber. Heavier guns of the same caliber shoot easier than lighter ones. Let her shoot some .22s and get used to the noise.

Welcome to the forum.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Let her hold some, hit up a Cabelas, or somewhere that has a good stock of handguns in your area. Let her check for how it feels in her hands, if it fits with proper grip, etc...

As far as caliber, and it's already been said to an extent, be open minded. The weight, size and construction of the gun will determine how much it kicks, just as much as the caliber it's shooting will, with .22 being an obvious exception. I have 9mm's that kick harder than my .45 due to polymer vs steel construction and so on.

The big thing is make sure she feels that the gun in comfortable in her hands. Then go from there.

Top Bottom