He's my sticky bun

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    It's not polite to lie to the new guy. A good ribbing is acceptable though.

You mentioned that you want her to get a gun for self protection. For the home I would go with a Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. Easy to maneuver in close-quarters and unmistakable in stopping power. As for handguns, I'm more biased towards a .45 because of its stopping power. Whatever the make is of .45 is your personal preference. It might take her a bit to get used to though because of the recoil and shear intimidation but that makes it all the better in my opinion. Happy hunting and welcome to TGT!
    I hope you're joking...

She felt that a .38 special might be a little too much recoil and you're going to suggest an 870 or 500 with a pistol grip? I know alot of men that cringe from the recoil of a shotgun much less one with a pistol grip. I don't recommend a shotgun for most women when it comes to HD...in fact I really am not a huge advocate of the HD shotgun period. Shotguns are great but despite the common misconception it actually takes alot of training to be able to handle and manipulate one well indoors in a defense scenario and like Youngun said, accuracy is still pretty important. I'd sooner recommend an AR than a shotgun personally.

Just handle as many guns as you can and see what she likes the feel of. Have her pull enough triggers and see what she can manipulate. Some people focus so much on how the grip feels that they forget about the trigger and can't hardly pull it...my sister has that issue...the pull weight makes her tremble. Once you narrow down the choices we'd be happy to weigh in.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Maybe get a .357 Mag with a ported barrel, something with some size to it, and shoot .38 Special? The ported barrel should help a little with the perceived recoil issues, and you can practice with the .38 loads or try .357. Nothing says "Just lay down and die already!" quite like a .357 Mag CoM hit, but .38 will get the job done too. For a new shooter, a revolver is as simple as it gets and can be very effective. A shotgun is obviously a devastating weapon, but Physics 101 teaches us that equal and opposite forces will result in the shooter dealing with significant recoil.

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Have her pull enough triggers and see what she can manipulate. Some people focus so much on how the grip feels that they forget about the trigger and can't hardly pull it...my sister has that issue...the pull weight makes her tremble. Once you narrow down the choices we'd be happy to weigh in.

This is so important. My wife wanted a Smith & Wesson sigma .40 for herself. It wasn't until we got to the range with it that we found out she couldn't accurately shoot it because of it's 10lb trigger pull. Luckily it was cheap.

sammeow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    DFW
    So many choices, as glockower stated above, she needs to see what feels right in her hand. If you go with a pistol you have to make sure she can work the slide. Also the caliber is whatever she can handle comfortably.
    Personal choice is the Ruger SR9C. 10 and 17 rd mags. Extended mag gives a big pistol grip. Mine also has a Crimson Trace light. Wife loves that option for nights.
    Don't be afraid to try a .380 or even a 40 cal. Like the S&W Shield 40
    good luck in your quest.

Top Bottom