• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Festus Hagen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2019
    Garland,TX
    I bought a complete package AR in .223 Wylde from Ground Zero Precision a couple of years ago and have not been happy with the accuracy. I am thinking about getting a new barrel for it, But, I know nothing about the various manufacturers. Also, I'm thinking of going from the 16" barrel to a 20". I will say that I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through the barrel I have now. Looking for advise. Thanks.
    Capitol Armory ad

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Lots of options, depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.
    Names like Compass Lake, Lilja, Kreiger, Shilen probably are worth considering.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have one from Delta Team Tactical, 18" I think. Only so, so with factory ammo but it really likes my reloads with Dogtowns. I added a generic 3lb trigger from them as well. Tac driver to 300yds with my reloads.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    As far as AR barrels go, the you get what you pay for rule definitely applies. I recently went through a few different brands of 18 and 20 inch barrels. None of the cheap ones will consistently shoot sub moa.
    Even a ballastic advantage SDM profiled barrel I have struggles to maintain moa accuracy. Most of mine are 1:8 twists. The one barrel that will group sub moa for me is by white oak armament. They are on par with compass lake and maybe krieger.
    The other advantage of the woa barrel is the deeper chamber which is a plus for the handloader. I did finally settle on a bullet that has several of them shooting right at 1 inch but after running through the full spectrum of bullet weights, I found almost no manufactured ammo that ran well in all of them.

Festus Hagen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2019
    Garland,TX
    Can you expound on your accuracy issues? Have you played with what your feeding it? Factory or reloads? What kinda groupings?

Barrels are expensive, hate to see someone piss money away when it's not needed.

It's a 16" barrel with a 1:8 twist. I've been shooting 62 grain FMJ's out of it mostly. As far as groupings go, there really aren't any that's the problem. One will be high and right, the next low and left, and the third will be off the paper. I know I'm not that great a shot, But, I can hold better groupings then that. I am not a reloader, so everything I've shot is factory.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    It's a 16" barrel with a 1:8 twist. I've been shooting 62 grain FMJ's out of it mostly. As far as groupings go, there really aren't any that's the problem. One will be high and right, the next low and left, and the third will be off the paper. I know I'm not that great a shot, But, I can hold better groupings then that. I am not a reloader, so everything I've shot is factory.
    You should hand load for accuracy, not so you can get thousands of rounds stored awaiting the big wars, etc. You can load slow and precise with a minimum of equipment and vary the powder manufacturer, amount of powder, bullet, etc. It's not difficult and one does not really need to spend a lot of money.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Ive got 2 ar's that shoot great groups. Both franken builds, one has a 16" Stag 1/7 barrel, the other has a 16" Wilson Combat 1/8 SS barrel. Both are sub moa if i do my part. I have another upper from Palmetto State with a 16" SS 1/8 that shoots pretty good but not as tight as the other 2.

GonzoLonzo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz
    Hey Bud before you spend money on another barrel, get some 69 grain match ammo. Make sure your scope rings are snug and not moving. Set your rifle with sandbags in the front and rear and see what you can do.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    You should hand load for accuracy, not so you can get thousands of rounds stored awaiting the big wars, etc. You can load slow and precise with a minimum of equipment and vary the powder manufacturer, amount of powder, bullet, etc. It's not difficult and one does not really need to spend a lot of money.
    That's why I started. I have a fancy-pants five stage press with powder measure, bullet feeder, etc... and I don't use any of those gadgets. Powder is measured by hand on digital scale, all the components are set by hand, I stop/check/measure/weigh at each progression. I could crank out ammo fast if I loaded up the hoppers and yanked the handle like granny at the slots, but I don't need ten thousand rounds to hit a deer at 300 yards.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    1. Quit shooting piss poor FMJ ammo. FMJ ammo isn't ever going to be very accurate.
    Go buy some premium Match grade ammo or some name brand hunting/varmint ammo,then you should see some accuracy.

2. A Chrome lined barrel will never be as accurate as a premium stainless steel match grade barrel.

3. Buy a real barrel from a quality barrel maker,not one from some AR parts seller.
    An real accurate barrel is going to cost you around $300 and up.
    White Oak,Shilen,Lilja,Kreiger,etc.,all make very accurate barrels.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'm kinda surprised no one said something about second tier manufacturers like Faxon. They aren't a Shilen or Lilja, but they are a step up from your run of the mill cheapos.

I have seen another GZP Wylde barrel not shoot for crap.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I bought a complete package AR in .223 Wylde from Ground Zero Precision a couple of years ago and have not been happy with the accuracy. I am thinking about getting a new barrel for it, But, I know nothing about the various manufacturers. Also, I'm thinking of going from the 16" barrel to a 20". I will say that I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through the barrel I have now. Looking for advise. Thanks.

Festus Hagen,

ImVho,

IF you decided that you NEED a new barrel for your rifle & AFTER you have tried some MATCH GRADE AMMO & IF are still dissatisfied with the results, call SHILEN BARREL CO in Ennis, Texas & talk to the NICE lady, who answers the phone.
    She will tell you to ship the rifle to their company to have a new barrel made, installed & test-fired by an expert marksman.

Fwiw, I've had several Shilen barrels made for the last number of years & ALL of them were GREAT quality & sold at a reasonable price.
    (At age 73, I no longer have the patience to try to get a mediocre barrel to shoot well.)

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm kinda surprised no one said something about second tier manufacturers like Faxon. They aren't a Shilen or Lilja, but they are a step up from your run of the mill cheapos.

I have seen another GZP Wylde barrel not shoot for crap.

Faxon makes some really good barrels. I have a 10.5" 7.62x39 and a 14.5" 5.56 pencil barrel with an integrated flash hider (none of that pinned and welded stuff) from them and like them both. Both are more than accurate for what I wanted them for. The ONLY issue I had, and it's an issue that will effect very few people, is that the throat on the 7.62x39 is tight enough that I cannot reliably shoot cast bullets out of that gun. There have been zero issues with jacketed bullets. The gun is 100% reliable. Unless you are one of those weird people like me who try to shoot cast in anything that's even remotely feasible, you won't have an issue with a Faxon.

Top Bottom