• ...and so much more!
  • smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Lantac LA-SF15™ 6MM ARC Chambered Rifle & Dedicated E-BCG®
    Lantac is pleased to announce the release of its range of 6MM ARC chambered rifles and dedicated E-BCG®
    For the past 2 years Lantac has been working closely with Hornady Manufacturing and PROOF Research undertaking testing and development of products that utilise the new 6MM ARC ammunition in a variety of bullet weights. Lantac was one of the first companies to become involved with this new caliber as part of a funded military research project and has conducted extensive evaluation and development work in that time.
    Lantac’s new LA-SF15 6ARC 18’’ Rifle+1 gas system delivers 2629 FPS at muzzle with 2457FPS at 100M (109.36 Yards) and 1408 FPS at 800M (874.89 Yards). Energy is 1657 Ft-lb (2246 Joules) at 100M (109.36 Yards) and 475 Ft-lb (644 Joules) at 800M (874.89 Yards) approx.
    Lantac has also developed a more compact 14.5’’ Intermediate gassed system that delivers 2483 FPS at muzzle with 2315 FPS at 100M (109.36 Yards) and 1302 FPS at 800M (874.89 Yards). Energy is 1285 Ft-lb (1742 Joules) at 100M (109.36 Yards) and 407 Ft-lb (551 Joules) at 800M (874.89 Yards) approx.
    The velocity of multiple barrel lengths was tested to create a clear picture of 6ARC’s capabilities.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    The 45 GAP was just a stupid idea, but the .327 Fed has a small cult following and is still a thing.
    The .45GAP was a good idea....maybe better than the .40S&W. It suffered from lack of ammo (d/t shortage) and no other guns (d/t lack of ammo). That, and no one really wants a Glock anyway....

I'm glad the .327 Federal is finally taking off. 9mm ballistics in a 6-rd snub revolver is nifty. I hope more ammo companies make rounds in .327 and .32H&R.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    a Cartridge that can launch projectiles ranging from 55 grain to 108 grain, up to 3500 FPS, from an AR 15 platform with only a bolt, barrel, and magchange (or just a barrel if you have a 6.5G) with multiple factory ammunition choices.
    Is there another one I’m not aware of?

Valid point. But with the modular ability of the AR platform, that's easily possible with several cartridges, just by switching uppers.

I'd still like to see a side by side comparison between it and other similar cartridges, especially those in 6mm.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    With the cartridge being designed for the military i can see civilians buying into it since ammo should become just as available as 5.56 was before beer flue hit. If the military switches completely from 5.56...which they have been trying to do for years, this 6arc will be the new 5.56 for the civilians.

Id like to see how it does in a side by side comparison to the 6.5grendel. They are both based on the 7.62x39 case but the grendel can shoot up to 130gr. The the 6arc would be a little flatter shooting farther out, but you get a little more lead with the 6.5 grendel. They both would be pretty close imo.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Not to mention if the military does convert from 5.56 to the 6arc, just image the average kid coming out of boot camp able to effectively shoot & engage targets out to 800-1000yrds. I think our troops could benefit from a round like this. If they convert over, it would be nice to get brass ammo under .40 cents that shoots like a 6.5 grendel. Instead of $1 for Grendel....unless you reload.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not to mention if the military does convert from 5.56 to the 6arc, just image the average kid coming out of boot camp able to effectively shoot & engage targets out to 800-1000yrds. I think our troops could benefit from a round like this. If they convert over, it would be nice to get brass ammo under .40 cents that shoots like a 6.5 grendel. Instead of $1 for Grendel....unless you reload.
    I don't feel that's a realistic expectation. It's going to take a lot more than basic training to get the average soldier to be able to engage moving targets at those distances. It's hard enough to do that at 300 yards. Switching to 6 ARC is going to increase the weight of the ammo too, which means either soldiers will have to lug around more weight, or carry less ammo. It's also going to have more recoil. Not a lot, but enough. The less recoil a round has, the faster the follow up shot is going to be. The faster the follow up shot, the higher the hit probability on those 300 yard moving targets.

As a specialized round for specific situations, the 6 ARC could be a very good round. As a replacement for 5.56? I don't see how this round is going to benefit the average infantryman who has to occasionally kick in doors and typically engages targets at less than 300 yards.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The 5.56 is long over due for upgrade for our military. I think it could be the upgraded American version of 7.62x39. Its flatter shooting & has a heavier bullet than the 5.56. It would give our military an advantage in the field... no matter kicking doors or 300 yards on out. I see 1 bullet fitting tons of applications & making a do all round. The military would not have to worry about different calibers stocked for different roles.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    With the cartridge being designed for the military i can see civilians buying into it since ammo should become just as available as 5.56 was before beer flue hit. If the military switches completely from 5.56...which they have been trying to do for years, this 6arc will be the new 5.56 for the civilians.

Id like to see how it does in a side by side comparison to the 6.5grendel. They are both based on the 7.62x39 case but the grendel can shoot up to 130gr. The the 6arc would be a little flatter shooting farther out, but you get a little more lead with the 6.5 grendel. They both would be pretty close imo.

The 458 SOCOM and 6.8 SPC II were also designed for the military. We've all seen how far that went.
    I like the AR-15,and have 5 of them,but I'm tired of guy's trying to make it into a long range weapon. It's Not! It is a short to mid-range weapon,and always will be.
    You can't make any cartridge that's limited with a COAL of 2.250" - 2.300" ever have the velocity that a standard Short Action type cartridge can produce. And,it will always be 300 - 400 fps slower.

It's far easier and makes more sense to use a large frame AR ( AR-10 style) weapon,and shoot standard style/size cartridges if you want to shoot past 800 yards. The 6 ARC doesn't hold a candle to a 243 or 6mm Creedmoor,and the gun doesn't weigh much more than an AR-15 depending on how it is setup.
    My LR-260 doesn't weigh much more than anyone's 6.5 Grendel,but it will always shoot the same weight bullet a lot faster.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The 5.56 is long over due for upgrade for our military. I think it could be the upgraded American version of 7.62x39. Its flatter shooting & has a heavier bullet than the 5.56. It would give our military an advantage in the field... no matter kicking doors or 300 yards on out. I see 1 bullet fitting tons of applications & making a do all round. The military would not have to worry about different calibers stocked for different roles.

Why is the 5.56 due for an upgrade? It works, it's light, and it's easy to shoot. It's a proven round with decades of development behind it.. There is no reason to replace it. There's a reason that the Ruskies switched from 7.62x39 to 5.45x39. Bigger is not always better.

You're not going to get a 30 cal round capable of long range shooting without sacrificing the shootability of a gun. 7.62 NATO did what you want, and it was for the most part dropped because of a lot of the reasons I've discussed. It's good for machine gun use, not for standard issue rifles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    How many years do you think it will take the military to switch over from 5.56? They have giant stockpiles of weapons and ammo in 5.56, and this isn't the kind of change that's drastically needed for the battlefield. I think I'll pass.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I had never even heard of this round until I got an email Wednesday morning from Brownells. Headline said something like “1000yds out of your AR.” Are you doing anything but punching holes in paper at that distance with it?

I’ve fired ARs out to 500yds on man sized paper targets and would like to try a little further with a little more precision. Not to engage any sort of live target, but just for the challenge. I would think learning to read wind at those distances with a 5.56 would be a challenge. Am I wrong in assuming this new round would be the same at 1000? Just to improve your skill set and punch holes in paper?

I agree with the poster that said the AR-15 platform is not the right tool for that job.

I sure would like to have a large frame AR in 338LM though!!!!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't understand this at all. The 6mmAR cartridge has been around for a long time with lots of development and match use. You can go to the website of the developer and buy uppers, accessories, everything.

This new 6mmARC is essentially identical. Why go to the trouble of introducing it? The market for people who really need a good 6mm based on the .220 Russian already knew about the 6mmAR. Does Hornady think people are going to buy their stuff just because it has their name on the box?

Maybe I'm just being snippy because in their YT videos, Hornady repeatedly boasts that they developed the cartridge. They most assuredly did not.

Top Bottom